496 Procharger install >

496 Procharger install

Notices

496 Procharger install

Old 02-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 496 Procharger install

Im running the whipple 7# of boost 354 hrs 5-7 poker runs a year compression 160 165 real pleased
Old 02-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Registered

The front of the intercooler should be your only problem. I didn't know of this clearance and had to cut my front back side of hatch 1 inch deep and 8" by 8" for clearance.Your crank clearance is this-3" beyond front of stock crank pully. Dave
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To let you know, I get calls, emails everyday for customers begging to help them with their Procharged 496's since we are the only ones that can recalibrate the factory PCM. Their are over 30 different calibrations from the original release. Each have a different base calibrations, some minor changes, some huge drastic changes. The fact that a mfg. outthere can still sale a performance enhancing system for the 496 with no computer mods, a FMU and a MAP bleed system is beyond me.

I'm not saying it's a fact that they won't live, but my opinion is that the "won'ts" will have a higher % than the "wills", especially if your in a larger boat that can maintain longer sustained medium to WOT throttle periods (minutes, not hours). Everything PC does for that engine works against what the PCM is trying to protect. Let it see over 100kpa for 30 seconds above 2000rpm, it will set a code and go to a default map setting which will not match the boosted manifold pressure and will run severly lean at certain rpm ranges. Run the map bypass system so the PCM doesn't see the proper MAP reading puts the PCM at a completely different load table. Since the calibration is load based, rpm vs. map = load %, you throw off many of the PCM's settings. This includes knock, spark, fueling, coil power, etc. The 555 PCM is very intelligent but it's constantly figuring the piston position for proper knock protection per cylinder and is contanstly filtering "noise" at all different load points. Moving this around can make it more sensitive in some areas and not in others. With this type of application, some boaters, some boats, some engines will be ok and some won't. It will stronly be dictated by driving styles, boat design and load levels, octane levels, envoirnment, etc. This is not even touching the fact of the problems that are created from running the type of fuel PSI's that some have to run to achieve the proper a/f ratio. High PSI mixed with wide open injectors are just asking for problems. Larger injectors with different internals have different characteristics and therefore there voltage bias, on/off time and calculated fuel flow levels are all off. Then you have an extended tip platinum spark plug with a large gap plug with a "vortec" style head, just another problem and higher possibility of detonation or pre-ignition.

Just thought you should be aware of what your getting into.

Thanks,
Dustin

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 02-28-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

Dustin: so all that means the front clearance is 2 or 3 inches on the Procharger install?

Just kidding. That's alot of great information for me to think about and I appreciate you taking the time. Makes alot more sense than someone just saying "ya, but Whipple reprograms the ECU". Do you have any schematics of your install showing the area covered by the 2.75 inches on the front of the motor? Maybe I'll just call your shop tommorrow and see if they can fax. me something.

Crop Farmer: Thanks for the reply. Always gotta measure 5 times before buying.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bouncedcheque,

Schematics, what is that

Wish I did, but you need basically 3" in forward clearance from the crank pulley, straghit up to the top of the flame arrestor. 6" in both directions from centerline.

Thanks,
Dustin