Hp500 Oil Temp

Notices

Hp500 Oil Temp

Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Ok,
Here is my Oil temp problem... I run water temps of 140-160, have a stock water cooling system, EXCEPT I have a water pressure relief valve set at 25 PSI. My engine runs cool, so cool after a 55-60mph cruise down the river, I can put my hand on the port CMI header, and it's barely warm, SB is a little warmer... Now the oil filter is HOT, but the oil cooler is warm, but not as hot as the filter. I get NO oil temp at all, verifed that the Livorsi 140-340 oil temp gauge is working, but it never comes off 140 even after WOT. My 572 uses a HP500 Oil therostat housing with the oil temp sender, just like this diagram.I don't have condensation in valve covers, or the oil fill caps, and I think it might be a problem related to where my oil temp sender is mounted, it is on the oil thremostat housing.

Thurl]http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=853984R%201&ivar=images/CRUISER/853984.R1/24.png&inbr=2450&bnbr=24&bdesc=OIL+COOLER%2C+OIL+F ILTER+AND+ADAPTOR[/url]

The engine dumps a good amount of water out the exhaust, and the DART Hi-rise intake manifold is cool and sweats after a 55-60 mph cruise...
Attached Thumbnails Hp500 Oil Temp-talon-victory-marine-680.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've verified that the Oil temp gauge is functioning properly, and the harness is good to the gauge, pulled the oil temp. sender and boiled in water and got the ohms per Livorsi tech data, so I'm still at the assumption that the engine is running really cool.... I will get a picture of where the oil temp. sender is mounted today and post it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ok,
Finally got a few pics of the Oil temp sender location on my oil therostat on the 572, here they are. The Q is where it is presently mounted, is it after the oil comes back from the oil cooler? I also bought a IR temp gun and if the weather is good this weekend I'll take her out for a run and gather temp data on all the oil components location and report back.
Thanks,
Dean
Attached Thumbnails Hp500 Oil Temp-oil-temp-sender-location2.jpg   Hp500 Oil Temp-oil-temp-sender-location1.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Ok need some advice

Ok,
Went out yesterday and got the following results:
1. Still no oil temp on gauge, gauge works, I ground the lead, and the neddle goes full over, Gauge is a 140-340 temp Livorsi
2. Oil Pressure at start up is 70-80psi, after running at 3000-3500 rpms, it drops to 60 psi, ( not sure if this really a problem).
3. After 3500 rpm , come back to idle, I get 40psi of oil pressure at idle 900 rpms.
4. Water temp is a constant 140 deg.
5. Bought an IR temp sensor/gun ,and shot the following readings after the 3500 rpm cruise with the engine off
a. oil filter:180 Deg.
b. oil thremostat housing: 185 deg.
c. Oil cooler: 85 DEG!
d. engine block: 120-145 DEG,
e. CMI headers: 85-90 degs
f. oil pan: 185 deg.
Engine dumps ALOT of water out the exhaust, and I have a water pressure dump valve set at 25 PSI.

NOW what really has me concerned. After watching the airshow, (Thunder birds were great). I headed back to the house, and ran 3000-3500, for a most of the way, (oil pressure sitting at 60-65PSI) I opened it up to WOT, hit 97 MPH for about 30 seconds, BUT the oil pressure starting DROPPING, down to 55PSI, so I backed down to 3000 RPMS, (55 mph), for the rest of the way home. After 5 minutes of this cruise speed, oil pressure came back up to 60PSI. This is the first time the oil pressure drop has happened while I have been trying to solve my no oil temp issue. Kinda scared me. At idle back at the dock, I get 40PSI of oil pressure, and oil pressure goes up as I throttle up...
I think that my Oil thremostat is not opening, how do I test it, besides removing it and boiling it in a pan? or is there something else going on?
Looking for some ideas, advice..
Thanks,
Dean
Old 10-06-2014, 01:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Just posting this for reference maybe can help someone out here. Mercruiser OEM oil filter adapter housing with the oil thermostat also has an oil bypass valve if the oil filter becomes plugged and or restricted for whatever reason. The oil thermostat side of it controls oil temperature in which improves lubrication and reduces moisture in the engine internally.

When the oil T-stat is closed the motor oil flows directly to the oil filter and then back to the engine. When the oil t-stat is fully opened the motor oil is directed first to the oil cooler then back through the filter and returned to the engine. Merc specs on the oil t-stat is - starts to open at 194 degrees and is fully opened at 284 degrees.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Just posting this for reference maybe can help someone out here. Mercruiser OEM oil filter adapter housing with the oil thermostat also has an oil bypass valve if the oil filter becomes plugged and or restricted for whatever reason. The oil thermostat side of it controls oil temperature in which improves lubrication and reduces moisture in the engine internally.

When the oil T-stat is closed the motor oil flows directly to the oil filter and then back to the engine. When the oil t-stat is fully opened the motor oil is directed first to the oil cooler then back through the filter and returned to the engine. Merc specs on the oil t-stat is - starts to open at 194 degrees and is fully opened at 284 degrees.
BUP,
Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure it's the T-stat, justed order 1.
Dean
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean,

What happened after you replace the t stat?