Less speed but better handling >

Less speed but better handling

Notices

Less speed but better handling

Old 02-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Less speed but better handling

TJ I didn't consider the clearance issue. Sure 6'' will help but only 1/2 as much as 12'' is it worth while? That is up to you. Why don't you figure out the cost of changing to a 6'' setback and then consider either a set of sponson tabs or a tunnel tab. Can you current bracket be modified or will it need to be replaced?
Try the props first and add some weight in the bow, then if that is not enough you will have to decide where to spend your money. My opinion is that the props will help the boat plane faster but you must change the balance of the hull to limit the bow rise either by moving weight or by installing trim tabs.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmwalters
TJ I didn't consider the clearance issue. Sure 6'' will help but only 1/2 as much as 12'' is it worth while? That is up to you. Why don't you figure out the cost of changing to a 6'' setback and then consider either a set of sponson tabs or a tunnel tab. Can you current bracket be modified or will it need to be replaced?
Try the props first and add some weight in the bow, then if that is not enough you will have to decide where to spend your money. My opinion is that the props will help the boat plane faster but you must change the balance of the hull to limit the bow rise either by moving weight or by installing trim tabs.
My thoughts exactly mm. I am trying to do this (of course) for the least amount of $. I had to stretch to get the boat and there is not a whole lot left. Props with Matt 1st. Weight in bow 1st. The brackets do not look like they would be easily shortened. I am afraid sponson tabs would impede the water flow to the props unless I mounted them to the very outside edges. So back to the basics...props 1st.

Thanks, TJ
Old 02-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
tj,
A friend of mine here in Nashville, Mike Ray, makes great ride plates. To see his stuff and/or contact him go to www.bulletowners.com and click on links.
Click on Mike Ray's foils and skid plates. By the way, these products do work.
Regards,
Steve
Steve I agree with you about not liking "whale tabs" but after seeing Mike Ray's versions - those I could live with especially considering the reasonable price. I initially thought you were talking about the plastic junk you get from Overtons. I did not see the plates hinged to the transom and tied to the jacks you described. This looks like an excellent low cost option that would really help in keeping the bow down, especially considering that I must (for now) live with my 12" setback brackets.

Thanks Steve...TJ
Old 02-26-2005, 06:16 AM
Registered

TJ It only makes sense to try the easy things first. If you find you need a tunnel tab let me know. I may be able to hook you up with a used tab. Keep us informed how things work out.
Good Luck Michael