Volvo vs. Merc.

Notices

Volvo vs. Merc.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Volvo vs. Merc.

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
mercruiser dominates the market mostly becuase of problames in Volvo Pentas past. they have made alot of poor product, Merc has had thier share too though. Currently as far a stock family boat that you dont want to do more then 60 in Volvo does build a superior product. However, I used to work at a shop that was a dealer for both and Mercruiser is a dream to deal with on warranty and when a dealer goes to bat for a customer they will ussually bend over backwards and cover things under what they call "customer relations" even when it is clearly not a warranty issue. They once payed for an engine that had a cracked head to a burned impeller that hadn't been changed for 230 hours but the guy had an extended warranty and he put a stink and they took care of it. Perhaps this is why thier engines cost so damded much though. Volvo is a pain in the ass to deal with on warranty issues, once you have bought thier product, you are on your own and becusae of this they don't get much repeat buissnes

Strange ... in 35 years my experiences are point for point the exact opposite of those above .... except for .*merc has had their share too*

For me if it's between 0 and 425 hp its red .. after that you can have whatever you want !..
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The Volvo duoprop seems to be stronger than Bravo III especially in heavier boats. A builder of fishing boats in the south told me he was experiencing 80% failure rate of the Bravo III in boats over 8500lbs. He had no such problems with the Volvo duoprop.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Strange ... in 35 years my experiences are point for point the exact opposite of those above .... except for .*merc has had their share too*
I think as far as warranty issues it kinda depends on your local rep, our Merc guy was as good as you can ask for but i have heard the opposite from guys fro other areas when we talked about it at merc tech ed.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Why does Mercruiser have so much more of the market share?
Is Mercruiser's product that much better than Volvo Penta's?
Aren't the engines basically the same?

It probably helps that Brunswick ( merc's parent
company) owns some of the largest boat
manufacturers out there.

And some of the one's they don't own,
they have been know to loan money to,
or own stock in.

......kind of guarantees you market share

Last edited by jt29olhp500s; 03-01-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
The Volvo duoprop seems to be stronger than Bravo III especially in heavier boats. A builder of fishing boats in the south told me he was experiencing 80% failure rate of the Bravo III in boats over 8500lbs. He had no such problems with the Volvo duoprop.

Hands Down I'll take a Volvo over a Merc anyday. I walk through my Marina and all I see are Bravo 3's with rot all over them. Yet all the boats with Volvo Duo Props are rot free. Hmmmm strange but these people will replace their Bravo 3's with a new Bravo 3. Yet the people with Volvo don't have to replace their drives due to corrosion every other year or 3 .
Old 03-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of re-powering my boat right now...my boat came with a volvo 330hp duo-prop and ran trouble free for the first owner and now myself for 4 years. Although it is against the grain here on OSO I have decided to stick with the Volvo. I am repowering for reason of more reliable HP... not for problems with the old motor. Yes it is true that Merc is superior for adding HP after the warrenty is up but I feel 420+HP is plenty for my 25' boat.....and turnkey reliable too....besides if I do get the bug for more speed I have heard Raylar makes a bolt on kit for any 496 motor including Volvo .
Old 03-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have OMCs and if I have any problems I'm going with Volvos next time.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has mentioned that for every Volvo authorized service center there are 20 Mercruiser.
Mercruiser replacement parts are less expensive partly because they are mass-produced compared to Volvo.
Price a Y-pipe for a Volvo 280 or 290 and you'll see what I mean. Most Volvo places won't stock them, so you wait for a special order and you pay the shipping.
Sold used high performance boats for many years...buyers want the black thing hanging off the transom.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my personal experience with Volvo Penta, I have not had any problems getting parts from my local dealer. The prices have been vary comparable to Merc; maybe less $$.
Has anyone ever bought an oil pump from Merc.? A friend of mine just ordered one for his 525SC and it was $500. I bet him a 30 pack that it was the same as a $100 one from GM. Guess who won the bet? One vary expensive sticker they put on the box...
I had a 1975 Donzi with a Volvo 280 and the only thing I ever had to buy were zincs.
I now have kind of a mix with my Volvo engine and Merc drive and it works well for me. There are lots of prop choises for my Bravo drive along with after market stuff like external steering and drive showers.
As for the engine I will say that I like the the serpentine set up, the crank driven sea pump, and fuel pump placement far better than the way Merc has there stuff bolted on...
I'm rebuilding a Merc. 502 this winter and I will be using all of the accessories off my Volvo Penta 7.4, not the Merc stuff. I may even buy an AZ Speed Intake off of a Volvo 8.2...

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 03-01-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe in Volvos especially on dual prop heavier boats but I do love the Mercs. My 1979 305 V8 Mercruiser pre-alpha sterndrive went over 3000hrs with no problems. Original valve train, all original manifolds, engine never opened up. I even used the original water pump impeller until 2003, thats 24 years and 2800+hrs on the original impeller without a propblem. Drive never blew up, replaced transom bearing a couple times and one u-joint once. Some new accessories but no major problems in over 3000hrs. Hope to get that kind of life out of my 1996 502 Mag bravo I.

Quick Reply: Volvo vs. Merc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.