Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how much and where to get hydrolic stearing? >

how much and where to get hydrolic stearing?

Notices

how much and where to get hydrolic stearing?

Old 03-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: how much and where to get hydrolic stearing?

TO,
I have a TRS I am going to put a half system on.. Already have the Latham bracket for the drive. Will NXS rams replace Lathams???
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Old
Not at all. I wouldn't want to burst anyones bubble by forcing them to see their real speed.
Funny how no-ones concerned whether or not the speedo in their car is off by 3-5mph...., but we live and die over 1 mph in our boats.....................
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Funny how no-ones concerned whether or not the speedo in their car is off by 3-5mph...., but we live and die over 1 mph in our boats.....................
the reason for gps speedos in boats is beacuase pitot and paddle wheel speedos arent sometimes inacurate they are always inacurate.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
the reason for gps speedos in boats is because pitot and paddle wheel speedos aren't sometimes inaccurate they are always inaccurate.
But it was quite convenient that they almost never erred on the low side
Old 03-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: how much and where to get hydrolic stearing?

Try Marine Machine.
www.marinemachine.com
They will custom build them to your boat if needed.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The reason to get hydraulic steering has little to do with protection against cable breakage, it's about handling in fast 70+mph boats. There is no comparison between the stock merc steering system and a full hydraulic system. You'll never realize how much slop is in your stock cable system, even if brand new, until you get a full hydraulic system. Night and day.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27

Full hydraulic, safest way to go fast = $3,000 to $4,000.
(no more cable)
single ram? I don't think so!

who the hell's paying that?

On another note...both the Imco full hyd. I installed in my Velocity and the Latham on my formula return to center straight/straight with non symetrical wheels. I don't get that rap as I've not seen it? But I don't hold my wheels to lock/bypass either, as it serves no purpose in boat manuevering and is hard on the pump.

Last edited by Rippem; 03-06-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Registered

Would twins (counter rotating of course) help with this torque steer situation. I don't have to fight the wheel at all in my 15 year old 29' with twins and stock steering.Maybe if I ran fast in rough water but I boat on a lake and honestly don't enjoy running fast in rough water,,,,I got a pretty good feeling you can crash a boat with full hydraulics to. In fact I bet there are more accidents with race equipped boats than standard ones. Sorta like more 4 wheel drives getting stuck more. Creates overconfidence in some people. I'd love to have it on my next boat but hope it's on when I buy it. Also hope my next one is faster,or at least bigger.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cooltoys61
I got a pretty good feeling you can crash a boat with full hydraulics to. In fact I bet there are more accidents with race equipped boats than standard ones.

No kidding...can you?

If you were to back that statement about crashes with actual stats, you'd probably find that in terms of performance boats, that high HP, stepped V boats and cats, that are today pushing the limits of performance, probably do have more incidents.

It would just be a coincidence that these top of the line, envelope pushing machines come with top quality safety gear ...like FULL HYDRAULIC STEERING.
Holy sh*t... Duhhh.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered

So you agree, right?
I understand what you're saying,that the safety equipment doesn't cause the wrecks,double DUH. But how can we know what did,the overconfidence of having the best of the best or being on the edge( "pushing the limits") . If you're on the edge, by definition you are testing yourself,boat,water,luck/fate. It is an exciting place to be but can't be argued safe or it wouldn't be the edge. If one feels it's safe to be" on the edge" because of full hyds they need a wake-up call.
Here's anothe belief of mine..I'm safer in smooth water at 80 than in the same boat with full hyd in rough water at 90,,maybe even 75????70??.

Quick Reply: how much and where to get hydrolic stearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.