Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords? >

Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Notices

Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Old 03-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

I hear something nocking and I think it might be a wrist pin
Old 03-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Why oh why does it always turn into a flame war? My dicks bigger than yours. Nothing new I guess.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Registered

When I innately posted my reply about the Mer/ Ford bellhousings, I thought this thread would turn into trouble.
It appears I was not wrong.
My first sterndrive was a mid 70's searay 24 ft cuddy with the 302 2 bbl. The boat had no balls, top end was 36 mph. Over the winter I got a boneyard 351, did pistons, intake, Holley 650, Comp camps 268 flat tappet, the damn thing still went 36 mph. Motor ran great but it just wouldn't go. All my friends had BBC powered go fast boats, I had built a few of their motors and they screwed. My background was drag cars with BBC. I was part of the local Ford haters club. In retrospect the 351 may not have had anymore top end for a lot of reasons. It was easy to say Fu&Kin Fords. My current boat has a BBC. Easy to work on, parts are relatively cheap. I would'T go back to the Ford for anything,
If you have a affection for Fords, have the parts, and know how, GO FOR IT!!! I respect you all the more for it , I wouldn't do it but its your boat, your cash, and your decision.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Don't let the pissing contest get to you.
Good luck
Charlie
Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prosnd
When I innately posted my reply about the Mer/ Ford bellhousings, I thought this thread would turn into trouble.
It appears I was not wrong.
My first sterndrive was a mid 70's searay 24 ft cuddy with the 302 2 bbl. The boat had no balls, top end was 36 mph. Over the winter I got a boneyard 351, did pistons, intake, Holley 650, Comp camps 268 flat tappet, the damn thing still went 36 mph. Motor ran great but it just wouldn't go. All my friends had BBC powered go fast boats, I had built a few of their motors and they screwed. My background was drag cars with BBC. I was part of the local Ford haters club. In retrospect the 351 may not have had anymore top end for a lot of reasons. It was easy to say Fu&Kin Fords. My current boat has a BBC. Easy to work on, parts are relatively cheap. I would'T go back to the Ford for anything,
If you have a affection for Fords, have the parts, and know how, GO FOR IT!!! I respect you all the more for it , I wouldn't do it but its your boat, your cash, and your decision.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Don't let the pissing contest get to you.
Good luck
Charlie
The flames I could care less about. I grew up around Fords at the drag strip, my father worked with Bob Glidden and what came out of that and passed onto me I am thankful for. Im just glad im not another run of the mill chevy guy with no originality.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reality is Fords and Chevs can be built to build power the arguement is a never ending circle jerk. They both have their ups and downs and I think it would be pretty cool to see a stroked small block Ford sterndrive boat out on the water.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
the reality is Fords and Chevs can be built to build power the arguement is a never ending circle jerk. They both have their ups and downs and I think it would be pretty cool to see a stroked small block Ford sterndrive boat out on the water.
and that you will see my friend
Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Look at Bob Glidden now. He is wrenching a bunch of Hemi's,
I have a feeling the Chevy dominated Pro Stock ranks are about to feel some heat. Its funny that the "Grump and Glidden" are both back and seem to be showing their stuff. Now if Gartlits would just get some sponsorship, There is a man who can kick some ass.
But I digress
Old 03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just up at Big Daddys musuem in Ocala a few weeks ago what a cool place if you ever get a chance check it out.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone heard about exhaust adapters from a 426 style Hemi to the chevy manifolds? Hemi power would be unique like the Ford stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

There is no replacement for displacement. How much power will these make at USABLE rpm? What good is 10,000K in a Boat unless you also own a drive company.

Quick Reply: Replacing twin small chevys with twin small fords?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.