smallblock re-power

Notices

smallblock re-power

Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: smallblock re-power

I know of a source for marine fuel injected 320HP/350s complete with all accessories. Ready to drop in and run...
About 5K each...
Send me an e-mail if interested.
[email protected]
Old 03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the reason to use the LS6 is 1) weight, and 2) "cool factor", I think you'll find:
1) You'll never notice the few extra pounds in a 78 Formula
-and-
2) The "cool factor" will be quickly overcome by the "frustration factor" of getting the LS6 to work.

383 all the way, and be careful with your drives.
Gary
Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

One of your biggest problems could be getting around the alphas shift interupter switch.......It momentarilly kills the motor to allow the drive to shift.....the drive will grind itself to death if you dont have it installed.......a friend of mine tried to put a TPI on his smallblock/alpha .....couldnt make that part of it work......motor ran great though.......bravos dontahave that however..........

Id go 383 and get out on the water.....personal choice....doug
Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait for this........should be available later this year!!!
FOR RELEASE: 2005-03-22

Most Powerful Small-Block Ever - Available in a Crate

DETROIT - Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Corvette Z06 at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in January, and now GM Performance Parts is unveiling the crate engine version of the LS7 engine that powers it. This latest Z06, billed as "the fastest, most powerful car ever offered by Chevrolet and GM," has enthusiasts looking for that kind of power in a crate engine. GM Performance Parts is ready to end that search as it offers the LS7 (P/N 17802397) at GM dealerships and Authorized Centers, nationwide in August.

This small-block V-8 dreams big, displacing big-block cubic inches at 7.0 Liters (427 cubic inches) and big-block power at 500 hp at 6200 rpm. It also benches 475 lb.-ft. of torque at 4800 rpm. Helping to create its high power and high revving capability are details such as cylinder heads with computer numerical control (CNC) intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers - which creates ports with surgical accuracy for maximum power production. In addition, the intake valves and connecting rods are made out of high-strength lightweight titanium.

The LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM Powertrain's new Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich.

Pricing will be announced mid-summer; however, early estimates indicate that the GMPP LS7 crate engine will sell for well below the cost of comparable custom-built aftermarket engines.

Enthusiasts who must have the latest technology, maximum horsepower and the largest production cubic-inch displacement small-block ever built will be able to purchase the LS7, as well as other GM Performance Parts crate engines, blocks, heads and components, from GM dealerships or GMPP Authorized Centers nationwide. Following the release of the LS7 in a crate, GMPP will offer select parts, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, cylinder heads and valves separately, and in kit form. To locate the closest GM dealership or GMPP Authorized Center or dealership, call 1-800-GM USE US or visit www.goodwrench.com.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds, and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

LS7 specifications:

Part number: 17802397
Horsepower: 500 (373 kW) @ 6200 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.): 475 (644 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
Engine type: Cam-in-block 90-degree V-8
Displacement (L/cu in): 7.0 / 427
Bore x stroke (mm/in) 104.8 x 101.6 / 4.125 x 4.00
Block: Cast aluminum with pressed-in cylinder sleeves and 6-bolt, forged steel main bearing caps
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Connecting rods: Forged titanium
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Camshaft type: Hydraulic roller, 15 mm (.591 in) lift (intake and exhaust)
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported aluminum; 70-cc chamber volume
Valve size (mm/in): 56 / 2.20 (titanium) intake / 41 / 1.61 (sodium-filled) exhaust
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Rocker arms: 1.8:1; offset (intake only)
Recommended fuel: Premium required. 91 octane minimum
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

The LS7 sounds very impressive! With the extra glass work I am having to do I might end up waiting. The reason I am considering a LS6 is I can get one cheap(has 2.5hrs on it), and pay full price for the other. The shift interrupter switch should be able to switch off the ECU, to accomplish the same effect as the stock set up. If I had copious quantities of cash I would wait for the LS7!!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont understand the cast pistons, but switching over to forged is no biggie. I'm planning on one for my C5 Vette, but will have computer/ecm problems I'm sure. Waiting to hear the $$$$
Old 03-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The exhaust could be made by CMI in Wisconsin. They could make you a set of header with your bolt pattern in the flange custom no extra charge. Or you could try to find a used set and have a local machine shop make the adapter for you.

Being differant is a good thing. The easy way is just that EASY. Put your mind to it and get what you want.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the support! I will contact CMI and see what they can do for me.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Resurected - Owen Sound!!!!!!........and your not driving a Grew....... shame on you!!!!!......
Old 03-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My dad had a mid 70's 21' grew with twin I-6's while I was growing up! I found this old formula last year and just had to have it.

Quick Reply: smallblock re-power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.