Checking True Engine Hours? >

Checking True Engine Hours?

Notices

Checking True Engine Hours?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Checking True Engine Hours?

That info is stored in non-volatile ram and can be accessed via some pretty simple serial communication strings. If you can build your own serial communication device(ttl to cmos and vica versa) and have the ability, I can post what cmds need to be sent, otherwise hooking up a merc scanner will tell you. If you have the ability to get deeper, you can also find out how many times(if any) the ecu has been reprogrammed as this is OTP and cannot be changed. From what I can tell, this reprogram number is not always dead accurate as OTP bits can only increase, but not always as a byte increase, but instead a bit increase, and if you understand bitwise changes, you also understand they do not correlate to single byte increments.

Last edited by RichardCranium572; 03-27-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult would it be to get data that MEFI outputs and used for a Fuel Consumption gauge?

At onte point Teleflex said they were going to market an aftermarket Smartcraft system fro older engines but it never got off the lab bench.

I know the data stream includes GPH and that Smartcraft will display data but only on MEFI-4 controllers. No one can sem to say for sure if Smartcraft would read MEFI 1 data so I'd like to just get this one piece of data nad display it on a digital or analog guage.

Flowscan on my engine becomes too complicated because my EFI system returns unused fuel to tank.

Possibilities?
Old 03-27-2005, 05:56 AM
Registered

Daaaaamn Dick, I'm glad we gottcha on board,, for the computer stuff,,I think you're gonna be handy!
The great thing about these forums is the vast array of knowledge from all the contributers,,,
Just wondering when I might know an answer.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, if someone here doesn't know the answer, the question was never asked.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-27-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poorsche
How difficult would it be to get data that MEFI outputs and used for a Fuel Consumption gauge?
Difficulty is a matter of perspective

At one point Teleflex said they were going to market an aftermarket Smartcraft system fro older engines but it never got off the lab bench.

I know the data stream includes GPH and that Smartcraft will display data but only on MEFI-4 controllers. No one can sem to say for sure if Smartcraft would read MEFI 1 data so I'd like to just get this one piece of data nad display it on a digital or analog guage.
Mefi4b can use the canbus which is what the smartcraft data is transferred on. Not sure if the earlier mefi4's have canbus too, never looked.

Flowscan on my engine becomes too complicated because my EFI system returns unused fuel to tank.

Possibilities?
Of course, anything is possible and this would not be extremely difficult as it would just be a matter of monitoring and identifying the GPH byte in the datastream using a small micro that could in turn change it to a digital or analog signal that would be used by the Digital or Analog guage. There would have to be quite a bit of interest for me to move this up on my priority list which is quite extensive at this point in time. However, I would suggest a digital display that would also show knock retard as well
p.s. upon further thought, one unit could be designed to work on all versions of mefi's with enough internal coding to allow identification of the controller.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Registered

B&G Instruments makes a display that will show data, including GPH, from the serial data stream of a MEFI ECM. They call it the "Network Engine Instrument". I think it runs about $400.00.

Dave
Old 03-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Registered

Looks like B&G has obsoleted that product based on web site--but I'm gonna call them tomorrow--maybe they still ahve some laying around.

Sounds like it's really yhe Canbus interface rather than the data that makes Smartcraft not compabitble with older vintage MEFI's ???

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

What's the website of B&G instruments?
A few weeks /months ago I remember seeing a advertsing of software for reading/ analysing the mercruiser ECU. It wasn't that expensive and (as long as you can believe publicity) very easy to use on a portable!
Can anyone remember that adress? thx reply
Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

I don't know the current production status, but I have seen the B&G Engine for sale on a few websites. Google "B&G ESYS".

Evaluex,
Was it the "Diacom" marine EFI software from Rinda Technologies that you saw? I am not aware of any other software products for monitoring / diagnosing MEFI systems.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Checking True Engine Hours?-diacom.jpg  

Last edited by Dave_N; 03-27-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can ECM's be repaired? I might have just fried mine the other day.

New ECM's are running $750. BAM says no longer availble, but Boatfix still shows them.
For a '99 502MPI.

Quick Reply: Checking True Engine Hours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.