Best Drive Oil

Notices

Best Drive Oil

Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Drive Oil

Installing new XR drive.

What is the best drive oil to run from the beginning. I've always run Merc's High Performance with no issues. But now with the new drive it is my chance to start with synthetic if that's what would be best.

So... What is best???
Old 03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Best Drive Oil

Teague recs Amsoil 80W90.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did some searching through the archived threads and read that Redline Shockproof Heavy was the way to go. Not sure if it is better that Amsoil or not. Anyone want to confirm?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive Heard Of A Few Failures Occuring In Bravos That Were Experimented On With Lubes Other Than Mercury Hi-perf. I Know Of A Super Vee That Experienced Problems With The Drive Staying In Gear While Using Amsoil. The Problems Ceased When He Changed Back To Merc Hi-perf. On The Other Hand I Know Of Some Success Trying These Lubes In Other Drives Such As The #5. On These Drives I Tried A New Lube Developed For Nascar By Torco That Worked Really Well As The Boat Picked Up 100 Rpms Over The Merc Hi-perf.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Best Drive Oil

Originally Posted by SCRAPMAN1
Ive Heard Of A Few Failures Occuring In Bravos That Were Experimented On With Lubes Other Than Mercury Hi-perf. I Know Of A Super Vee That Experienced Problems With The Drive Staying In Gear While Using Amsoil. The Problems Ceased When He Changed Back To Merc Hi-perf. On The Other Hand I Know Of Some Success Trying These Lubes In Other Drives Such As The #5. On These Drives I Tried A New Lube Developed For Nascar By Torco That Worked Really Well As The Boat Picked Up 100 Rpms Over The Merc Hi-perf.

Interesting that a drive had probelms and stayed in gear using Amsoil. Wonder why?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mercury HP is a tough gearlube to beat because it has great gear cushioning capacity but it seems the synthetics cause less shavings on the magnet...that may not be all that significant..just observations.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

ScrapMan what Torco lube was that exactly.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Torco is a fully synthetic Gear Oil. It has EP agents to carry heavy loads. It carries a GL-6 rating as does Redline Shockproof Heavy. It's a 2,000 lb gorilla. If Merc says to use it in #6's it should be fine in Bravo's...this may be a real gem..anyone wanna try it and get back to us?

According to Bob's site Redline; Schaeffer's; Royal Purple and Torco have the highest levels of MOLY. (Molybedium Sulfate). Now moly is a soild that is added to an oil or lube to fill in micropores and reduce metal to metal contact. Some love it and some hate it. Personally I like Moly. It really does reduce friction; increase horsepower and "micropolish" as well. It's good to have some in your cocktail. Mobil-1 is using more Moly now in their Extended goldcap line-up. Moly is good!

Some think it's all about lube or oils when it's really about what's ADDED to the base stock. The additives make all the difference in the world.

From the research I did tonight I would use Torco 75W-90 in a Bravo or #6 or any drive for that matter. It may well be the best stuff out there.

How much do you want to bet Reggie uses this stuff??? Just a feeling...

$11.95 75W-90
$13.95 75W-140
Plus shipping .....

I think the 75W-90 is the way to go for a Bravo....I am liking this stuff a lot...especially since the boys at Merc like it in #6's so it's tested....gets a Hydro rating.

Online ordering:
http://www.torcoracingoils.com/misc/...rrentMarket=10
Attached Thumbnails Best Drive Oil-sgo_racing_gear_pop.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-01-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

What about Royal Purple gear lube? Anybody using it?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Registered

Hydro, I like staying with the Merc stuff afterall Im running 300X sportmasters O/B, but sometimes I wonder if there is better stuff out there. Afterall total protection is something Merc may not want. Remember their biz is made up of me buying parts and gears. So they make something good ,but not the best it can be. I still use the Merc HP stuff, but thinking about something totally synthetic. I run hard and have had several gear failures on 2 year old motors, so im thinking about trying something different just and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Best Drive Oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.