Notices

State of the Sport?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: State of the Sport?

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
So, How do we make OSS go away ??????????

Mike
I dont think that "making OSS go away" is the answer, I think getting OSS to fold into the current organization is the key. If they were to realize that as a group they would have tremendous voting power to control the rules and classes I think that any concerns that they would have would go away. They are, for all intents and purposes, the obstruction to this sport attaining new levels of growth and participation.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Folding into a "current organization" is not the answer.
I have to admit, I like the fact that OSS has only five classes.
I don't like the fact that they do not offer an entry level class (or two).
I would think that they (OSS) as an organization needs to accept the fact that the Factory One and Two classes are a great way to introduce racing to potentially serious participants.
Many of the racers started out in these two classes and stepped up into bigger and faster classes.
This would bring the class count up to seven. This is all that is needed to offer those who want to race offshore at an entry level.
I am sorry but the P classes have to much going against them with such an array of boat sizes, weights, speeds and configurations.
P class is a great concept on a Divisional level but not for a professional circuit.

I have always been an APBA fan and for what reason I'm not really sure. Maybe it was the heritage. Maybe it was the boat count.
Now, I am not for or against any organization.
I used to plan some vacations around the races and that is not happening again this year. Not enough boats at any one venue that justifies the expenditures of my hard earned cash.

And one more thing. Do you really need SuperCat and SuperCat Light?
That could be rolled into one class, easily. Now we're down to six classes.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 15,855 Likes on 4,136 Posts

Originally Posted by dhlaw
I dont think that "making OSS go away" is the answer, I think getting OSS to fold into the current organization is the key. If they were to realize that as a group they would have tremendous voting power to control the rules and classes I think that any concerns that they would have would go away. They are, for all intents and purposes, the obstruction to this sport attaining new levels of growth and participation.
Not a fact but, IMHO the heavy hitters of OSS could easily buy SBI if they really wanted to. Its time to end your thoughts of them caving in to SBI. They like thier program, and they will see that it suceeds. good luck with your new boat, it looks great. but does it have the muscle???
Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
Not a fact but, IMHO the heavy hitters of OSS could easily buy SBI if they really wanted to. Its time to end your thoughts of them caving in to SBI. They like thier program, and they will see that it suceeds. good luck with your new boat, it looks great. but does it have the muscle???
I like to think it has the "muscle", but the motors were sealed at Innovation so they probably are not making as much HP as the Merc sealed motors....... Ha!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"How do we make OSS go away?"Why?

From what I've seen this year OSS does a good job putting on a competitive,well organized event.I was unimpressed with the first two SBI venues.Its a big ocean out there.NASCAR seems to exist fine with multiple sanctioning bodies.Every one has its plus and minus.Its like two children bickering all the time and that will not grow and improve the sport.

]This is the view according to Louie,all other views may be different.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Registered

NASCAR has multiple sanctioning bodies?Explain.I look at how the CART vs IRL fragmentation of indy car racing has turned off the fans,sponsors,manufacturers,drivers and teams.In fact,many team owners and drivers have made the move over to NASCAR.There are not enough teams,particularly in the Super classes, to support two national sanctioning bodies
for offshore powerboat racing.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Registered

Once again, it is not about making OSS go away.... its about them acknowledging that the differences are no longer there and continued existance is detrimental to the sport. Look at it this way, OSS was essentially created out of a "strike" or "walkout" due to legitimate complaints about the APBA owner (MA) and the way the racers were treated. In any strike the goal is rectification of the complaints and return to work in better and more promising conditions. Well we have that. What has happened though is that OSS no longer wants the problems corrected now they want to be the epicenter of "professional" racing. All that they have succeeded in doing is further fragmenting a very small pool of available participants. The worlds is a prime example. We could have the worlds on 2 different weeks, but they have to be scheduled the same week. The only explanation that I can come up with is to force participants to make a choice....ie: fragment. At a time when quality people like Bob Bull, Pops and others are going to the bargaining table and making real concessions for the betterment of the sport I am amazed at the arrogance of some.......... I personally think that bringing JC, Bob Bull and Paul W. to a mediation with real labor mediators to iron out the differences would be tremendously productive. I have always felt that the differences between the organizations is negligible and this is really about egos. I will even provide the mediators, including the best labor mediator in the country, a former VP of HArley Davidson who has watched this whole process and is a 30 year expert in collective bargaining, and a NASCAR exec similarly trained at my expense. Lets get this stuff out of the way!!!!

Last edited by dhlaw; 05-04-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

It is my opinion that neither OSS nor SBI/APBA should “go away”. What I believe is needed is for both groups to genuinely recognize the need to unite as one on an equal basis. I know for a fact that each group possesses positive attributes that would be beneficial to the other. Until both organizations realize this and until there is true unification, I believe we will continue to witness the demise of our sport.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KiloKat
It is my opinion that neither OSS nor SBI/APBA should “go away”. What I believe is needed is for both groups to genuinely recognize the need to unite as one on an equal basis. I know for a fact that each group possesses positive attributes that would be beneficial to the other. Until both organizations realize this and until there is true unification, I believe we will continue to witness the demise of our sport.
I absolutely agree.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete B
Not a fact but, IMHO the heavy hitters of OSS could easily buy SBI if they really wanted to. Its time to end your thoughts of them caving in to SBI. They like thier program, and they will see that it suceeds.
Pete

How does the personal wealth of a few teams positively affect the sport?

All OSS has proven to potential sponsors is that the racers are more interested in their personal goals then being commercially viable and delivering for sponsors. This does not encourage companies to invest in the sport. OPT had huge money behind them they failed. The APBA LLC owners had deep pockets they bailed out realizing that some of the racers would not let them do what was needed to break even. Oddly enough the most publicized offshore races were from the LLC and OPT.

The OSS members had the opportunity to buy the LLC with site, TV contracts and $400,000 per year from GM for only $200,000. They passed, why I would say it did not fit their agenda. Bob Bull purchased it and is doing everything possible to put the sport back on track. He and JC have compromised and worked close together to deliver for the racers, race sites and sponsors.

All I am saying is the course that has been chosen has hurt the sport commercially. Offshore no longer has any Brand recognition. This is not unique to Offshore racing. Look at Champ car and IRL. Some of the Teams and Tony George decide to split off rather then stay with CART and work through their issues. At that time CART was big; all races were televised live most on ABC. The sponsor money and marketing synergies were vast, and they were rapidly building an audience outside of the US.

At this time CART had a 120 million dollar war chest to take on the IRL so they decided to fight rather then do what commercially made sense. Today they have burned through all of there surplus capital and spent much more. During this process CART has been reduced to a fraction of what it once was and yes Pete the Team owners are very wealthy.

Today both sanctioning bodies are in trouble the races are poorly attended the fields are never full of competitors. The races are generally broadcast but not on ABC any longer. The point is nothing good has come from the split with the exception of a few team owners and Tony George getting their way. Offshore is on the exact same path as IRL and Champ car. If the once prosperous publicly traded CART cannot survive this how can Offshore?

The fact is Offshore was easier to sell when a potential sponsor could and probably did see it on TV. Not only has the TV disappeared but so has most of the print media. If you do a search after a race goes off you will find very few printed articles. Sponsors pay for positive exposure while you may land a sponsorship deal. Can you retain it under the current operating model? Most deals are financially marginal for the race team in the first year due to the cost to sell, graphics, uniforms etc. The following years are when a team has the best chance of retaining the sponsorship dollars and delivering value to the sponsor. If you cannot retain both your primary and a good portion of your secondary sponsors the net income to the team is very low.

Finally look at Baseball and NASCAR. It is no coincidence that when baseball went on strike that NASCAR's fan base grew rapidly. The baseball fans did not agree with the selfishness of players and the clean image and close competition NASCAR offered every week filled the void. Baseball still feels the effect of the strike to this day, and NASCAR is now building an International audience.

Quick Reply: State of the Sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.