Notices

Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

Old 07-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

To all the teams that raced Sarasota, " What did you think
of fair grounds dry pit area vs last years area? "

Last edited by mbowers; 07-04-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

Default Re: Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

I think their were positives and negatives.

Positives:
Large fenced area with security. Cooler than the asphalt and grass to anchor tents. Having the buildings close for the bands and dinners was cool. Having the large area to bring in the car shows and bike shows was pretty cool. also.

Negatives :
A little far away from race site and wet pits. Muddy when it rains.

The positives out weigh the negs. I think it was a great site with ALOT of possibilities for the future. Sarasota is always a great race site with great fans. It is one town that makes you feel like you are welcomed. Dave Warden
Old 07-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

Wardey, you are the first person I've heard speak postively of the changes. I spoke with quite a few people Friday and Saturday and no one had much good to say about it, both racers and spectators.

A good friend of mine got out to Lido at 8:00 am yesterday to be able to park, and then took him and his family over 2 hours just to get back across the bridge to US 41.

Everyone I spoke with, and I agree, that the course should have been run in front of Siesta, NOT Lido. But then again, since that was done in Aug. of 03', I suppose there are those that did not want it to appear that they were following in "other" footsteps. That assessment was pretty well agreed upon by all. I don't think anyone that I spoke with bought into the "sandbar issue".

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 07-04-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

I spent all of 10 minutes in the pits. I didn't think too highly of it.

I miss the "spectacle" of the pits and cranes at the waterfront. Things were to spread out.

Greg
Old 07-04-2005, 06:34 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Since I'm truely a gentlemens -gentleman I think the Dry Pit are this year SUCKED in every way.

I prefice this by saying I was there Thursday (uncintrolled caos)..

I returned on Friday and truely thank Augie (GODFATHER) for helping me out finding places as well as the other stuff like learing how to kiss and hug all the ladies in the registration area.

OSO STEVE was there, Augie did not kiss him and for the 22nd time Master OSO Steve told me " It's nice to meet you".

To Pat D--It was a pleasure meeting you

To Danger Kitty it was great meeting you and chatting. I did spy Kitten from the 9th floor.. By the way you two are smooth dancers while in the pool..

To Ms Lucky Strike you and hubby owe me a Scotch

To many of the other great people I say it was indeed a pleasure.

NOW.... Please move the dry pits back to where they were in 2004. I heard nothing but negative comments about the "Swamp"

I leave this thread pouting for the 3rd year in a row where I did not personnaly meet MY fantasy.. Lisa M..
Old 07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by gdfatha
Since I'm truely a gentlemens -gentleman I think the Dry Pit are this year SUCKED in every way.

I prefice this by saying I was there Thursday (uncintrolled caos)..

I returned on Friday and truely thank Augie (GODFATHER) for helping me out finding places as well as the other stuff like learing how to kiss and hug all the ladies in the registration area.

OSO STEVE was there, Augie did not kiss him and for the 22nd time Master OSO Steve told me " It's nice to meet you".

To Pat D--It was a pleasure meeting you

To Danger Kitty it was great meeting you and chatting. I did spy Kitten from the 9th floor.. By the way you two are smooth dancers while in the pool..

To Ms Lucky Strike you and hubby owe me a Scotch

To many of the other great people I say it was indeed a pleasure.

NOW.... Please move the dry pits back to where they were in 2004. I heard nothing but negative comments about the "Swamp"

I leave this thread pouting for the 3rd year in a row where I did not personnaly meet MY fantasy.. Lisa M..
Marc-

I'm sorry we weren't able to meet, but thank you for the DVD! Next year

Bobby
Old 07-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that the race organizors would gladly take contributions to make up the $10,000 to $15,000 increase in fees to be at Van Wezel.

Did it suck bad enough to make a $500 donation........maybe $1,000?

The decision to move wasn't made just for the hell of it.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Mr P..

Here is a list of the rationale for not returning to Wezel--

1-It was flooded

2- It would be too crowded

3- The Other place where it was held needed $$$$

4- Wezel increased lease space $$$..(as you imply)

AND--- If I had the $$$ you bet your Imodim AD I'd move it back to Wezel

AND.. rapid changes from controlled A/C to going outside made rain in my camera. I'' sell it to you for $4,000.99
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Registered

It would surprise me greatly, that the amount of money the "Festival" takes in, that they could not cover the increased cost of the Van Wezel parking area, particularly considering they were charging five bucks per head to get in.

I know of a GREAT many people that did not go to the dry pits this year, because of the weather creating mud. People just didn't want to pay five bucks to walk around in mud. Other complaints it was just too spread out.

There were certainly pros and cons about the new site. I think that MOST would rather see it back at Van Wezel.

The city is/was trying to acquire the land just north of the 10th st. Ramps. If successful that would add much more room for the racing activities. Let's hope that can achieve that.

I don't think anyone doubts the enthusiasim that Sarasota offers to the races. It's just the logistics of this year's race left a lot to be desired. Particularly the traffic nightmare going to and especially from the races. It was horrific, at least that's what thirty people have told me who were there. All of them stated emphatically they would NEVER do it again.

I'm glad the race was as successful as it was. It's just consensus of opinion that certain aspects of the race were not as "spectator friendly" as has been in the past, and it's the spectators that "make or break" the entire event.

Having the Hyatt basically "shut out" of the races this year just did not feel right. But I can only offer what spectators have, and with regard to some issues, racers, have told me.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by KLAATU
This was my first time in sarasota ,so I have no way to compare . I thought it was great all around ! Sat and sunday the pit's seemed dry enough to me . Of course I wasn't wearing heals .

The whole town ( without exageration ) came out specifically for this boat race , which impressed me . Other than here (KW),I have never seen that before . I guess if I thought about it long enough I could find something wrong .I'd ,rather hang on to the positive aspect's myself .( one acception the traffic at the circle ,of course that is a draw back at any major event.)

Thanx to all who made this so enjoyable for me .
Your problem Mr. Klaatu is that you don't have an ax to grind. You are way too positive for this forum. I would like to suggest that you and your type be banned for good.

I only come here to see someone who has no REAL connection to boat racing really rip someone who does. The real fun comes when a guy who has done nothing more than buy a plane ticket makes comments about how bad things are compared to the way they were.

Honesty, positive comments and appreciation for what a thankless and time consuming job it is to organize and promote a race have no place here. Besides, if you complain and attack I think it makes you look like you have a point of view even if you only have an agenda. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.

Quick Reply: Quick Question about Sarasota Dry Pits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.