How do you guys get your sponsors? >

How do you guys get your sponsors?

Notices

How do you guys get your sponsors?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:50 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you guys get your sponsors?

Biggest problem with gaining any type of a major sponsor for offshore is extremely tough. Through the years many have dabbled with the sport but were later burned by the organization in which they were sponsoring. It seems time and time again that promoters/organizations like to not give what that sponsor deserves for there money. The funny thing is all these large sponsors actually communicate with one another time an time again. So if you burn one the next ten or so already know what the sport did to the previous.

I am not trying to make it like ou have no possibility but ti will be tough. Small sponsors and product sponsors are probably the best way to go to help you out there. Most of the large sponsors you see on boats today are owned by the person who owns the boat. It is very unfortunate that out sport has not learned this yet and if some have the others ruined it for them.

Not trying to discourage. Just stating the facts.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Well first we leave the "c" outta Nesquik, that pisses them off like you can't imagine.
Ah, sorry about that! I didn't know they spelled it without the "c".

I've always thought it had to be very difficult to get good sponsorships today due to the lack of a primetime audience. Thank goodness this hasn't ruined the sport all together. I wish there was some way to get the races on ESPN or similar. I think people would enjoy watching them with the right promotional effort.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:30 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Ah, sorry about that! I didn't know they spelled it without the "c".

I've always thought it had to be very difficult to get good sponsorships today due to the lack of a primetime audience. Thank goodness this hasn't ruined the sport all together. I wish there was some way to get the races on ESPN or similar. I think people would enjoy watching them with the right promotional effort.
now if we just new somebody who had contacts in the oil business and enjoyed offshore powerboating to sponsor some boats....
Old 01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its definitaly all about who you know. You can sometimes land the small ones, resturants,bars,etc...if you tell them that on the weekends or during certain events you will bring the boat up and show it off.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
now if we just new somebody who had contacts in the oil business and enjoyed offshore powerboating to sponsor some boats....
LOL. The closest I came to racing was actually this year. Had an offer to drive and would have loved to do it. I wouldn't have been able to make enough races to be fair to the boat owner unfortunately. Maybe you and I can look into that in a few seasons..... provided you can still operate a boat by then.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

the "secret" is to work your ass off for the sponsor so it gets its money's worth....its all about what they get out of it...it isn't about the racing or winning, in and of itself,..it is about ALL the other stuff such as appearing at its place of business, showing up at community events, parades, festivals, etc, etc, etc....what kind of exposure you get for the sponsor... it definitely helps to know someone on the inside....

....did anyone watch Deco Drive Friday night?????if you did, then you know what I'm talking about....and yes, that was Albert and his lovely wife on top of the boat in the parade..., yours truly was driving the truck
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bruce, I read the damn thing 20 times and finally seen what you did. Mike, Milk...awwwwwwwwhhhhhhhh! As long as Nesquik is spelled right. TwinStepGun, you loose your National Sponship because of the lack of Proof. It's hard to prove to a sponsor like Nesquik how many cases of Nestles Quik, any flavors, have they sold because of the race boat. Now remember it's The Chilled Beverage Divison that has sponsored us the last three years meaning the Already Made Drinks in your grocrery fridge.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My approach has been to form a partnership, or strike a deal, between two companies that would benefit them and then the money they pay me for the brokering the deal includes my use of there logos/names for my racing...
Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Registered

This company produces some great seminars. http://www.sponsorship.com/ I am not a racer, but I do sell sponsorships for my event. It's tough to get cash, but they are always looking to leverage your promotions. Key Word is "Impressions". How many times will their name be seen. I bow to the masters, Nascar is the best at this.
What i have learned is don't blow smoke up their butt. One page Proposals works for me. Show what you get, show what they get. It's all about the bottom line. My Sponsors include Budweiser, 4 Clear Channel Radio Stations, a Hampton Inn, A cable News station and others.I still am hunting the elusive Title Sponsor. If things get tough, you can allow your sponsors to sell 3rd party sponsorships, but I don;t like to do that. Hope this helps. Michael www.crawfishfest.com

Last edited by Sam Spade; 01-21-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

While were on this subject, what kind of money do teams shoot for out of a sponsor? Does a sponsor have to sponsor the whole season or events/markets that would benifit thier needs?
Mike