Notices

amateur racing...

Old 08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default amateur racing...

How does one get started in racing boats? Im talking about 25-30 offshore style vhulls. I know theres a few different racing circuits and all that.. but if someone with NO experience in a race environment wanted to put together a little backyard team and a raceboat where could we find the rules and specs on what classes we could run and everything.

where do we start? theres a ton of questions ive not even asked but maybe someone has a link on "how to get started in racing!" or something similar.. any help would be appreciated..

cd
Old 08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: amateur racing...

www.oparacing.com

Once you start racing, you will be hooked!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Were do you Live?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shane B
Were do you Live?
on Grand Lake in Northeast Oklahoma..

thanks for the link, i read through the rules and got a pretty good idea of what i need now. Is there an area at these races for spectators? Id like to go to one or two and check it all out..
Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222

thanks for the link, i read through the rules and got a pretty good idea of what i need now. Is there an area at these races for spectators? Id like to go to one or two and check it all out..
Come see us in Chattanooga, TN, 13-15 Oct 06. We're a small family team that's in our second year of racing. Backyard teams are welcomed. We even have one team in our class that literally started in their garage. Spectators are also welcomed in the pits and Chattanooga has a great spot on shore for the spectators. PM me if you can make Chattanooga and I'll put you on our guest list.

You can also check out SBI/APBA at www.superboat.com Our Manufacturer Production classes (P classes) are similar to OPA's. Who you race with may simply come down to what you can afford to do and how far you want to travel. But beware, you will get hooked!

Sean

Last edited by TGOR; 08-23-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Originally Posted by waterboy222

Spectators are always welcome at all race sites.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

This is great - I'm having flashbacks.

I got the racing bug in 1992. Went to races, learned as much as I could and had a great time. When I bought a 26' Thoroughbred/Velocity in 1994, I made up my mind that I was going to compete in the "Run What You Brung" race in Sarasota 2005. Absolutely had a blast - I SMILED FOR A WEEK.

After that, the racing fever came and went, and then peaked in 1997 - and I started searching for a raceboat. I bought a 30' Phantom and ran A-Class and SVL for three years, and had a blast. I still think that first race was the most fun of all.

Go check out OPA. Smitty will take care of you, make sure that you have fun, and compete safely. You can't ask for more than that.
Attached Thumbnails amateur racing...-bredwater.jpg  
Old 08-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Registered

thanks for all the support guys.. ive really got turned on to this idea over the last few hours.. seems like thats all ive done since i posted this is look at used boats! thats just what i need is another addicting hobby!

thanks for all the replies, i;ll let ya know how i come out on my research
Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.offshoreracingleague.com
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Registered

what about insurance? if i mention to my insurance agent that i am considering racing, is he gonna flip out..? how does that work?

Quick Reply: amateur racing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.