Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P

March - Biloxi - OSS and anyone else
April - Havasu - POPRA race with everyone else invited (the problem is - it's really really far from the East Coast)
May - Ocean City - OPA and anyone else
June - Sunny Isles Beach - OSS and anyone else
July - Sarasota - SBI - and anyone else
July - St Clair OPA and Anyone else
August - Orange Beach - OSS - And anyone else
Sept - LOTO - OSS and anyone else
November - Key West - SBI and everyone else.

These are just the joint events. Each organization would probably run other events of their own.
then if you truely want a "national champion" title that actually means "national champion", you roughly have OPA and SBI covered twice, POPRA once. so 1st that would have to be evened out, say any POPRA boat can race any other OSS primary race as long as they declare it as their qualifier. once KEY WEST hits, the first place boat after the 2 race finishes in their org. (while OSS is visiting)are calculated, those 1st place boats race in key west with everyone else. there finishes are computed and the "national inter-orginization champion is determined. in the event of a tie, the 1st tie breaker would be finishing position of any races done outside of their home org. 2nd tiebreaker would be their year end standing in their own org. this would encourage a team to attempt at least one race outside of their home org. it would also make one united national champion per class. the title would actually mean something, and give people a reason to go to somebody elses races here and there.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron! Glad you posted...and I agree, it's a long shot...but so was landing on the moon!!

Anything can be done if you work on it right...all our dad's taught us that...well I have a list of people here that want it...so if we have the numbers, we can make it work...Lets get our heads out of our ass's and start now. I know it won't be done for next season or maybe even 3 seasons for now...but the least we could do is try..so my son can enjoy quality racing [The best kind of racing] in the future.

We have the most exciting race around...always changing...weather / region / fan base / size / power...let's make it better.

Ive got $1000 here to donate towards any sort of meeting to get this underway..

Who else is in?

Last edited by cauzmik; 09-30-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
OSS raced in Havasu and brought our own 50K Purse and paid for extra chopper time. POPRA didn't give us a penny. It was a terrific event done in conjunction with the Desert Storm Poker Run. OSS asked to be invited to St Clair several times under the same terms ... but we were never invited. The OSS boats were invited but only if they signed up with OPA. OSS was not invited as an organization.

We tried to invite POPRA and/or SBI to Kenner and we would pay ALL of the race expenses yet allowing them to collect all race related fees from their racers with no expeneses. Both declined.

If anyone wants to have a summit meeting with the people that run the other organizations, tell me when and where. It's clear the fans want to see some unity, so do I. It all starts with people talking face to face. I've tried to have these meetings a few times, people seem to cancel every time at the last minute.

My number is 732 552 0669 in case someone actually wants to do something about it rather than just type on here.

In (my version) a perfect world, OSS would race with each of the other groups once at thier sites. Then have them come to one of our sites. Then we all end up in Key West in November - It would mean less races with more boats.

How's this look for starters ( We all know this can't work but here goes)

March - Biloxi - OSS and anyone else
April - Havasu - POPRA race with everyone else invited (the problem is - it's really really far from the East Coast)
May - Ocean City - OPA and anyone else
June - Sunny Isles Beach - OSS and anyone else
July - Sarasota - SBI - and anyone else
July - St Clair OPA and Anyone else
August - Orange Beach - OSS - And anyone else
Sept - LOTO - OSS and anyone else
November - Key West - SBI and everyone else.

These are just the joint events. Each organization would probably run other events of their own.

The hand of OSS has been extend to hold talks in 2009 and who will be next to extend their hand??????? It is a major step in the right direction. Now who's next.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cauzmik
Ron! Glad you posted...and I agree, it's a long shot...but so was landing on the moon!!

Anything can be done if you work on it right...all our dad's taught us that...well I have a list of people here that want it...so if we have the numbers, we can make it work...Lets get our heads out of our ass's and start now. I know it won't be done for next season or maybe even 3 seasons for now...but the least we could do is try..so my son can enjoy quality racing [The best kind of racing] in the future.

We have the most exciting race around...always changing...weather / region / fan base / size / power...let's make it better.

Ive got $1000 here to donate towards any sort of meeting to get this underway..ive also got 2 hands to help with.

Who else is in?

Cauzmik! That is a very generous donation to try and bring about change. I also have 2 hands to help but not the $1,000, to donation for the meeting and I think we should all think positive for 2009. Get the head's of each org. together and let them sit down in a causal and relaxing setting after the Key West Worlds and lets see what they can come up with. Hey why not after the Key West Worlds, in Key West.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I'll wait for my phone to ring.

I'll be in Key West from Thurs night through Monday. But that's really not the time to talk. Too much going on. A week later would work best. A phone call.....would be a step in the right direction.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,
We'll talk in KW

Frank
Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys need to know the truth about 750 and 850 just ask...
my750 were the same ones that ran key west last year with a valve spring change ONLY....The 850 thing is a joke because the 850 guys dont tell the truth..ask them how many times they went into guardian mode and lost the race through 07...many times..Ask Reliable and Talkin trash how many times they broke this year ...ZERO...all ran 4 races a piece with no problems.. rebuilds can be done about 10000 a motor times times 6 for a year thats 60000 an 850 rebuild is 44000 ..big deal with 5 guardian finishes. All 750 guys want to race 850 GUYS because we all know they wont finish...Now for some facts:

In 2006 we all met with Mercury in Destin..Kruger
1. They would continue to build the 750.
2. Many thought it would bring parity..another joke
Ive heard and saw more bs in the 525 class cat lites
so no matter what engine it is who cares.
3. Mercury was very humble about the whole deal.
(my engine builder goes back 25 years with Mercury
and truly respects them)
4. Mercury said they would allow anyone to build the
850 for the class---However some of the racers
wouldnt allow it at OSS...MERCURY ONLY THEY
VOTED. Wonder who it was?????
Wonder who they wanted out RELIABLE , JD (we could of built the same)
5. Ask Jeff Harris ( one of my personal favorites) who
gave them some great competition in ORANGE
Beach in 07..All the puny 750 boats not one 850 boat
in TRUE offshore fashion...

You guys is it really racing if you dont allow all Manufacturers to compete. I love spec classes but did we really need another? The Cat lite class is the best bargain out there. IROC racing went under because it was boring..no fans no support, Same cars with same motors just different colors
it even had the best drivers around...BUT IT WAS THE COMPETITION Toyota,Chevrolet ,Ford, Dodge like us MERCURY, STERLING, CC PERFORMANCE(FMR UNITED RACING )EICKERT, Skater, MTI ,Doug Wright, thats what makes it RACING GUYS....DOES any one know where DRYSUMP drive came from...Ill give u a hint ..it was a super sharp INDIVIDUAL
Thats what innovation and competition is all about.

So I guess here it is..All 750 guys want to race EVERYONE
(cant say that about the other side) So let us get our motors up to 850. let them have there supercharger and lets race toghether..Europe uses a restrictor that works fairly well on the MERC motors...Tell me what u want to do...WE WANT TO RACE EVERYONE....Steve CURTIS is gettin bored beatin on me
We want to BRING SUPERCAT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!

pS Ron please dont beat up on KEVIN COOPER..im sure his side is alittle different version...you dont want it on here..LEAVE him out of it

If your gonna try and negoitiate u better bring the best people to the table,
someone that has done it before...I can probably tell u who not to bring RON

All u open cockpit guys, our SUPERCATS hatsoff to u guys , running in bigseas and bustin your $%^ at the races we have seen makes u guys as hard racers as any of us..were with u....

SEE YOU ALL IN KEY WEST for one of the biggest !

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 09-30-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Thank,s Tony . Nice to hear from you . Your,e post was the truth ,vs the bull crap .

( I still think tom should split the money with jimmy just to tik him off !)
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony dont hold back buddy tell us how you really feel.

Frank
Old 10-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered

Tony, as you know this is my first year racing a US schedule and, in one of the best cat classes.

My experience with the Merc 850's this year has been almost perfect, (we did loose a blower belt in OB) and the backup from the Mercury mechanics at the race site has been exceptional. Perhaps Merc continue to develope and improve as time goes by, just like the 750 engine builders must have.

I actually like the guardian system because it will save my engines fron catastrophic failure, I have had no unexplained guardian problems and think that some of the teams are using this excuse whenever they miss the set up or just can't keep up with the front boat.

I too would love to race against the 750 boats but I would want to stay with the Merc packages, and I am pretty sure that all the other OSS 850 teams will not change too.

I also think it will be difficult for the best 750 boats to beat the best 850 boats around a race course in calm conditions, what the 850 looses against the 750 in top end it more than gains in acceleration. Of course rough water is down to the crew and the set up and the balls.

I agree that the best cat class would be an 850 class with different hulls and engine packages just like say and this is what we should all want to develope.

Everyone needs to move forward now (Orgs and Teams) to create this class, what has happened in the past is in the past...what about the future?

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.