What happened to "United We Race" >

What happened to "United We Race"

Notices

What happened to "United We Race"

Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There needs to be one organization with regions. There needs to be one man or small group at the top that have the want and the desire to make the sport bigger and more than it is now. The TV CANNOT be controlled by anyone other than the organization. The rules need to be simplified and the classes lessened. When Frank talks about all these different (basically SBI) boats, many of them have the ability and cash to build a boat to fit a class, whatever class they are most comfortable with. As the Qatar team showed, turbines and massive gas powered engines are not necessary to have fast, reliable racing, even in a 50 foot boat. I know this sounds very close to the APBA LLC model but it was the one that worked better than anything since. As long as more than one organization exists, the sport will not be a viable mass market sport and ESPN will feature Women's Trick Shot Pool on Saturday afternoons.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ted G
There needs to be one organization with regions. There needs to be one man or small group at the top that have the want and the desire to make the sport bigger and more than it is now. The TV CANNOT be controlled by anyone other than the organization. The rules need to be simplified and the classes lessened. When Frank talks about all these different (basically SBI) boats, many of them have the ability and cash to build a boat to fit a class, whatever class they are most comfortable with. As the Qatar team showed, turbines and massive gas powered engines are not necessary to have fast, reliable racing, even in a 50 foot boat. I know this sounds very close to the APBA LLC model but it was the one that worked better than anything since. As long as more than one organization exists, the sport will not be a viable mass market sport and ESPN will feature Women's Trick Shot Pool on Saturday afternoons.
I agree 100% Ted!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really doesnt matter what we think.... with out the big boats there is no show, no fans, and no race sites willing to pay the big money. Most cities want quality and not really concerned about quantity.

We all have great idea but the bottom line is someone has to pay the bills. Nothing has changed and nothing will it is what it is, Offshore Racing is a sport and its not cheap for the Org. or the racers so all we can do is make the best of it. If you can afford it and it is your passion then go for it and have a great time, if you cant then maybe you shouldnt be racing nothing in life is free.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If I wanted to look at a "show" I go watch a Poker Run, If I want to watch great racing-I'd go to an OPA race!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered

I would rather watch 100 so so boats then a few great boats.
I raced in b class in the late 80s and had a blast, and there where a lot of boats. If anybody thinks there going to make money racing boats its just not going to happen. JMO
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Great post and I agree with the majority of your post but for the conclusion. I think Waterboy is right in one area and that is unification for a World Championship in November.

Sincerely,

Outsider Looking In!

P.S. There is no racing on the West Coast period if you find it please let Waldo know!
Interesting, POPRA has been working towards the goals that you state that you believe in, yet you choose to attemp to slap us in the face.
I will give you a challange; I see that you are running a Hallet with big horsepower, you show up in Havasu, April 8th thru the 10th and win your class. POPRA will refund your entry fees and pay tow money out.
You make strong statements, let's see if you can back them up.
Brad Johnson
(530) 550-1638
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Offshore should model itself after NHRA drag racing. If you go to a National event there are 4 pro classes that are the National touring series. They are the show. The rest of the racers at a National event are sportsman. The Pros get the TV & the media, the sporstman fill the down time between pro rounds.
Offshore needs no more than 4 pro classes for the show and
bracket racing for everyone else as a support race before the main event. I won't go into what 4, as no one except Waterboy will agree with me .(I really think no more than 2)
The idea of one santioning body is great, but unrealistic unless someone steps up with a boatload of cash to do it.
Right now the sport is a regional one for the most part. If the organizations and racers could come together and come up with a consistant set of rules, they each would maintain their autonomy, but any racer could enter any event in their current class without a problem.
Honestly, I'm not holding my breath. The organizations out there seem to be doing OK,there is no motivation for them
to make big changes. So we will all keep doing what we have been doing, while wasting our time dreaming about the day some miracle unification will bring back the good days.

Just my opinion, mind you,
Rich
Joker Powerboats 611
OPA Class 6
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Banned

every year its the same talk !!!!!!!

ALL YOU RACERS ON HERE.....JUST GO FKN RACING and all others JUST STOP THINKING ABOUT THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW !!!!!!!

WTF !!!!!!!

ALL this BS is what takes the fun out of our sport and people read it and also don't have fun to even watch.
Do you see any nascar guys debating things on a forum ??????
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
If I wanted to look at a "show" I go watch a Poker Run, If I want to watch great racing-I'd go to an OPA race!
Well said Fast Shafts
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
If you were paying the bills i'm with you, if not the show must go on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.