Notices

Blown motor?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To an extent I agree on the engine deal. I am sure the stockish one is more reliable. But also understand the costs involved. Hey, I don't have, and cant afford either, but would probably some day aspire to run an svl. I just think that it is funny, as I wouldn't expect you to post about 3 or 4 supposedly blown motors you heard about, unless you actually heard about them, and heard about one incorrectly, possibly, but heard about three incorrectly, that sounds rare. Then Frank chimes in and says no, no. Nobody has blown an engine. So can't both of you be correct, or, someone maybe did feed bad info, if thats the case, thats even sillier yet. Everyone always talks about these forums etc. but it is hard to garner respect when there is so much he said he said. Wouldn't it be easier if everyone told the same true story to whomever they spoke. Back to my real interest, Hows that "official" results panning out?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Merc does make a good motor no different then Votec or ILMOR but to say they dont blow up is a little crazy. If you remember a few month back there was a very lenghty thread in Genral that you were involved in and Eddie posted tons of pic of 525 that had blown up and were junk. I spoke to him in great lenght about the 525's very interesting he had some great info. you would be suprised how many issue are out there. I think all motors have issue its the nature of the beast. I guess to each there own there are plenty of choices out there. Mike is on his 3rd yr with the motor he got from George in the IMCO boat and he has had no issues and we raced every race last yr other then NY.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bilgerat
To an extent I agree on the engine deal. I am sure the stockish one is more reliable. But also understand the costs involved. Hey, I don't have, and cant afford either, but would probably some day aspire to run an svl. I just think that it is funny, as I wouldn't expect you to post about 3 or 4 supposedly blown motors you heard about, unless you actually heard about them, and heard about one incorrectly, possibly, but heard about three incorrectly, that sounds rare. Then Frank chimes in and says no, no. Nobody has blown an engine. So can't both of you be correct, or, someone maybe did feed bad info, if thats the case, thats even sillier yet. Everyone always talks about these forums etc. but it is hard to garner respect when there is so much he said he said. Wouldn't it be easier if everyone told the same true story to whomever they spoke. Back to my real interest, Hows that "official" results panning out?
All I said is they all finish PC and no one told me about any blown motors, if you watched the video you tell me? Matter of fact 3 of the 4 ran an extra lap.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video is in, the correct action is proven by the video, just wanna see if it is taken. Yeah, peeling tape, Jim and I would both pull tape, every so often you would get to the end, and one guy is not on the last tape. I learned to pay more attention to the mileage log on the GPS screen. So that way I new if we were close or one lap short. Love that feeling though, when your locked up in a tight battle, where theres so much going on you can't hardly remember to count laps. Thats what its all about. There isn't currently any penalty for running an extra lap, is there?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

No Jason I dont think there is... Lol . I know the feeling you just dont want to stop sometimes ....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

We knocked the main bearing out of our 525 due to a broken windage tray. Fixed it for about $500 vs Mercury est of $9000.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Cocoa will heat up in the SS class also with Victory in the mix. That class is always awesome to watch they have some many great teams.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Merc does make a good motor no different then Votec or ILMOR but to say they dont blow up is a little crazy. If you remember a few month back there was a very lenghty thread in Genral that you were involved in and Eddie posted tons of pic of 525 that had blown up and were junk. I spoke to him in great lenght about the 525's very interesting he had some great info. you would be suprised how many issue are out there. I think all motors have issue its the nature of the beast. I guess to each there own there are plenty of choices out there. Mike is on his 3rd yr with the motor he got from George in the IMCO boat and he has had no issues and we raced every race last yr other then NY.
Let me be more clear. I have never blown up a merc sealed motor in over 200 races. Yes in recreational use with much higher hours on them then me (over a hundred) hours there needs to be rocker and springs checked or changed in some cases. We all read the thread. My post is about race motors at WOT and what seems to be lasting longer. And please don't tell me you don't know about the other SVL's with blown motors LOL.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee
We knocked the main bearing out of our 525 due to a broken windage tray. Fixed it for about $500 vs Mercury est of $9000.
Thats awesome you didnt have to have Merc do the repair that would of been some piece of change.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee
I believe that was a full rebuild price wasn't it. I realize that if you were just repairing it for your own pleasure boat no one in there right mind would send it to Merc for just a repair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.