Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Single engine limit/length limit for P5? >

Single engine limit/length limit for P5?

Notices

Single engine limit/length limit for P5?

Old 10-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Single engine limit/length limit for P5?

Does anyone agree that either a length limit, or a single engine limit, should be implemented in P5?
As little as last year boats such as Carrot Top, 22', and Gigi,24' could run in the P5 "entry level" class and have fun. Now you have 38 Cigarettes and 38 Chris Craft Scorpions with twin engines running in this class. This almost abolishes "entry level", and has forced the smaller boats to sit out races.
If there was a single engine limit, or a length limit, maybe more boats would show up at races. For argument sake, If P5 was limited to 26' boats, the racing would be more competitive. A 24 or 28 Pantera cannot keep up with a 38 Cigarettte in anything except the flatest of water. In order to bring better racing and competition, P class needs more struture.
Do you agree?/Disagree?
BOB G.

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 10-16-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the P classes are set up to appeal to the broadest number of entry level racers. if it was limited, then it would defeat the purpose of creating a class that appeals to a broad range of people.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bob G.

This topic has been discussed over the last two years several
times. I do agree that there needs to be better control of entries in the P classes. I have heard P class racers state that they
would never get caught breaking out of their bracket because
they held there speed below the max. Well if you're "holding" your
speed below the max, you're probably capable of exceeding your
bracket. Also there have been occasions when P class boats
were advertised for sale or listed on a website and the top speed
stated was higher than allowed for the class. Different power?
Maybe.
Two things I'm thankful for:
1. I didn't spend the money for a 38' P5 boat. (60-69 mph)
2. Win or lose its always fun.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

How about if you win in your class you have to move up to the next class?That way you can taste the victory and move up where you belong.
Randy
Old 10-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

RumRunner,

When the rules for P Class were originally written, speed was to be determined under best conditions. Light load, full throttle,
good water conditions, etc.
If you had a boat capable of 79 mph and entered P5 (60-69 mph) because you were uncomfortable going 79, that's not fair to the guy's who run P5 legally. The GPS won't work because it would
only tell how fast the boat went in the race, not how fast it actually is.
Too many people think the criteria is how fast you go in a race when the important thing is your potential top speed.
The APBA will ask questions about your power, your drive
ratio, propeller, boat size and plug that into a formula to get approximate speed.
Mike Carter 'FEVER MIKE' worked on the developement of the rules for the APBA and frequently posts on this board. Maybe he'll
chime in.
Also if you have a top speed of 79 mph and enter P5 you would probably never break 69 mph in most water conditions, but you would have an advantage over legal P5 boats
That's it, i'm done. I hope Mike Carter chimes in.

raynman
Old 10-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If one looks back at offshore history, there are many racers who started out in the smallest class-Art Lilly, Bob Iodoni, Gene Whipp, and Brioschi driver Jay M. If there isnt an "entry level" class, where will future racers come from? We will have people with money (Jason P.) jumping into the biggest classes with little or no experience. Remember what happened to Jason on his first race? Lucky no one was killed.
There needs to be an "entry level" class. If P5 continues the way it is going,(38' Cigarettes and 38' Scorpions) even a 28' boat will be obsolete! The powers that be need to recognize this, and make some simple adjustments.
I'm sure there are many smaller performance boaters who would like to give racing a chance, however, a 24' boat cannot compete with a 38 Cigarette, therefore, they sit out.
A single engine/or length limit would solve this, and bring back some of the boats now sitting on trailers.
BOB G.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I'm no racer but would love to try it someday...I was at GLSCS race this year in GrandHaven and took note of the P5 class boats at this event and with the conditions we had 1-3 foot sea's the smaller boats kicked a$$...I thought that in most conditions the smaller boats had the advantage but then again I'm no racer...if I was going to race P-5 I would build the biggest single engine deep V that would run just under the max speed....my .02
Old 10-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

p class is to get your feet wet...let hope not

they do/can put sealed GPS units in p boats...

explain this....at the cape code race we saw F-1 boats passing 100mph big p boats in some nasty ****...

my .02....poker run the boat or build/buy a race boat.

dyno....you gota turn in a race...everything is a trade off

one more thing...racing is racing!!!...a TRUE racer will find a way to make WHATEVER go fast!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

As one of the members of the team running the 39 Scorpion that is referred to in this post, I feel compelled to respond.

You hit the nail on the head with your comment concerning that "the smaller boats will not be able to keep up with 38 Cigarettes and 38 Scorpions in anything but the flattest water". Earlier this year when we set out to race, we looked for a larger boat, knowing full well that racing in Lake Erie was bound to be rough. But guess what .... If you look at the results of the GLSCS and also the Cleveland Pro Race, there's a 27 Magnum that wins with some regularity. So yes, anyone can compete with us. With the current short-course format that is being run, it's more a matter of skill at the start and in the turns than of boat size.
And while we may have twin engines, please don't forget that we are pushing 11,500 lbs of boat compared to a lot less for others.
I'll grant you that we probably have a lot nicer ride than anybody else during the race, but that's why we started with a bigger and heavier boat.

Enforce the rules that have been established for all of the Performance Classes. We don't need to continue to divvy up the classes and create more confusion.

I hope someday to be able to meet you and race with you. This year was a real disappointment with all of the mechanical problems, but there's always 2003.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

P5NAV,
The only issue with your boat is will it go faster than 69 mph
with the crew aboard, racing props, a reasonable amount of
gas, and decent water conditions? If it exceeds 69 mph it is not a P5 boat. This has nothing to do with speed during a race, lap speeds, etc. Just flat out top speed.

Audicity,
Putting a GPS in a boat may only prove that the speed for the bracket wasn't exceeded during the race. Not that the boat may be capable of higher speeds.

Quick Reply: Single engine limit/length limit for P5?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.