Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Vote on better course idenification turn markers >

Vote on better course idenification turn markers

Notices
View Poll Results: Vote on better course idenification turn markers.
I like the idea of large 30' bright air balloons
68.00%
leave it the way it is
24.00%
It needs to be changed but in a differant way
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Vote on better course idenification turn markers

Old 03-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vote on better course idenification turn markers

AS PER CANDY:

Another vote on better course idenification turn markers. We have always had problems negotiating the course and finding the next turn that is a mile or more away. With so much going on in the turns it can be hard to keep your bearings on where you are exactly. I have suggested to use air ballons in the turns and sell sponsorships on them. Fly them 100 feet above the turn. A pilot's meeting would be needed for the choppers but other than that I like it. You could even put a camera on them and tape the turn with live coverage to shore on a big screen TV.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:53 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what would you do if we were racing 70mile laps? get a chart for the area,plot your course, get you compass headings.

get turn boat descriptions. plot it out with tape or something on the boat . now drive your own race. follow your compass. no problem finding the turns.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Registered

Actually I agree on this point. The markers are too small. The rules call for "Any buoy used to designate turns, chutes or slots should be a minimum of five (5) feet tall, either tetrahedron in shape (preferred) or round, orange in color, and made of vinyl or plastic material capable of withstanding conditions encountered in Offshore racing." Wish we had them. Of course I can't see beyond 10 feet anyway.

J
Old 03-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Registered

I think larger markers are needed in racing. I have been part of the paramedic rescue team in jersey for 5 years now and I can't tell you how many times race boats have been sooooo off course and have run down the interior of the course, scaring the sh*t out of us. Now in my first year of racing I can see how the racers would get off course.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I couldnt imagine loseing a world championship race because you cant find your turn. I am sure that is what would have happened to us if someone took out the marker like WHM did this year in super cat. The boats that raced in that heat all have better comunications and navigational systems on board and I guess they just turned where they thought the marker was. How is that exceptable in a close race if someone turns sooner and shortens the course and makes up ground? What recourse do you have at a protest?Do you just say the marker wasnt there so I turned pretty close to where we thought it was? Or we followed the boat infront of us?If you have to slow down to look for a marker your done!Lets also look at it for safty reasons.How many times have you seen a boat cut the whole fleet off because they were lost. Also Daytona 2 years ago in F1 12 out of 15 boats followed the leader and missed the 3rd marker. What a waist of trip. It is pretty obvious that it happens a lot and should be addresed and revamped.The days of the navigator are gone and it looks so easy on paper but in reality its hard to nagotiate. Buy the time your done milling in circles and drifting for 20 min. if it were not for the start boat leading us in the direction of the turn Im sure most of us would be lost.You cant see the first turn you just hope its were you are pointed.
Randy
Old 03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

if nothing else have better makers for the fans!...the balloon thing may work...but only at 15 feet or less....way hard for 12 + choppers to look for that too.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Rick#29

Learn to navigate,come on guys the race tracks are short enough now learn how to read that thing in front of the wheel, that has heading on it, If you get readings of the course headings,before the race you will have know problems,and save time on each turn of the course.

Old 03-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I am with Rick, you guys are nuts, the buoys are plenty big. If you can't find a buoy on a 5 mile course you should stop drinking much earlier the night before a race. You would have gotten nowhere 15 years ago racing, you would have been lost before the first turn.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

i do agree with rick and ryan...pretty damn easy most of the time...i think it would be cool to have them bigger and display advertisements on them. ...the fans should be able to see them all!...so size them accordingly for them...NOT us!

Last edited by audacity; 03-22-2003 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered

We think they are fine. Can't hardly miss them

Quick Reply: Vote on better course idenification turn markers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.