Point Pleasant's Final Results >

Point Pleasant's Final Results

Notices

Point Pleasant's Final Results

Old 08-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyper....

I agree with you to a point. P-5 is in no way an entry level class. It is, in a sense for new comers to have a class to start in and the seasoned guys respect that and give them their room to adjust. But, nevertheless, is a very competitve class. I know it is tough for a guy in a 24 foot single engine to compete against a guy in a 30 with twins. But it can, and has been done. You would have to run balls to the wall and thats racing. Is it safe?
I dont think so. I think we should cap P-5 to 28 feet and institute the GPS units. At least in P-5 to start. OPA is working toward keeping it fair, its just taking a bit longer than it should. Dont quit, Be Positive, and we will get it together very soon.

See ya in Md.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Registered

Originally posted by TomR
Well put Augie!

It is not just the fastest boat, this sport is about endurance, you could have the fastest boat but if every nut and bolt are not tight , or you use the "wrong brand fuel pump" (inside joke, no names mentioned") "YOU WON'T FINISH!!

TomR
P5-15 "Sonic Boom"
HaHA Very funny...I just saw that. Wise guy
Old 08-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

Default OPA Bracket Rulez

Originally posted by BRUCE SEROFF
I think we should cap P-5 to 28 feet and institute the GPS units. At least in P-5 to start.
This is a very sensible suggestion, Bruce.

Proposal:

For the next season (not earlier):
- Cap P5 to 28ft
- Put GPS units on P5 boats

We could even run the GPS units as a test. GPS results wouldn't decide the race, but would be published along with the race results.

Also, what ever happened to the "average lap speed?" OPA instituted a rule for the 2003 season that said that you average lap speed cannot exceed your max bracket speed minus 10mph. If you race P4, and your max bracket speed is 79.99999999 , then you average lap speed cannot exceed 69.9999999

That did sound like a very good rule to me, and the end of most sandbaggers. Rules are only as good as their enforcement ...

On the issue of GPS units: I've said it before, don't take the GPS as holy writ. I have two independent systems on board, and they never agree. Precision of GPS speed measurement depends on many factors, all out of your control. Do this as a test: Put your boat in idle and in gear. Don't touch the throttle. Watch the GPS speed. On mine, it varies by at least 0.5 mph. If yours doesn't bounce around, then you have a larger averaging window. You get the average speed over the last minute, not the current speed.

Note: That speed variance problem is so big on GPS units that most are programmed to show 0 mph unless the speed exceeds 1 mph. Without that feature, your boat would appear to be moving while standing still.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:36 PM
packinair

1 hyper 1 hope all is well. we welcome youre coments. the p classes are not perfect but thay have come a long way. the p classes are bracet classes. by that I mean classes are broken down by maximum speed in ideal condishions.if augie and keven can beat us on certain days and sea condishions and the same goes for us thats racing. can it get better absolutly. I remember a few years ago the deeper pockets won.what a change. i'ts comments like youres that make us all think about wayes to make it better. thankes againe and see you soon.

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 08-19-2003 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Registered

Spell check that ...Mo Fo
Old 08-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

There ya go, Bruce. You win a race, we even spellcheck posts for you:

1Hyper1: Hope all is well. We welcome your comments. The P lasses are not perfekt, but they have come a wrong way. The P lasses are bracelet lasses. By that I mean lasses break down at maximum speed under ideal conditions. Augie and Kevin can beat the lasses on certain days, we beat them on uncertain days. Hey, that's racin'. Can it get better? Absolutely. I remember a few beers ago the deeper rockets won. I need some change. It's grommets like yours that make us all drink to the ways to make drinks better. Thanks again, pee you soon.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey Hollywood I think Pecock just busted your balls.
MD
Old 08-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Hyper, Before the race starts Glenn and myself always feel like the underdogs. We see larger boats that you would think should kick our as&. But the truth be told most of them are at a disadvantage. They have twice as many things to break and are not set up for full blown racing. I love racing against Augie and Kevin in that 38 foot tug boat. They need 1400 HP to get that sled to 80 MPH. Now when its big water we have our hands full but thats fun to. If you want true parity race APBA in a pro series class. You have good points in P5 class.
Mad Dog
Old 08-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered

That's Peecock for you, Doobiehowser MD.

Quick Reply: Point Pleasant's Final Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.