Our Racing Future - A Personal Perspective >

Our Racing Future - A Personal Perspective

Notices

Our Racing Future - A Personal Perspective

Old 09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our Racing Future - A Personal Perspective

Fellow racers I want to preface my comments by first acknowledging and extending my personal appreciation to each and everyone of you and your team members that spend "your" money to come out and race. We all know that to date there are few, if any, race teams that cover their full expenditures on a per race basis. I consider it a privilege to be anywhere around your teams at a race venue.

We all, I believe, want the same growth and personal enrichment that comes with the professional growth of a particular motorsport. By this I mean the richer purses, the media recognition, the sponsorships finding you as opposed to the constant you trying to find them. I could go on but you get the idea. NASCAR is a model we all somewhat associate our goal with, but recognize even they have healthy differences of opinions and obstacles experienced that were not anticipated.

Now if we can all agree on what we want to happen we need to have some faith and follow the course, including climbing the obstacles and overcoming them. What does this mean?

First and foremost there is no greater strength than numbers and solidarity among the membership/participants.

Second we must align ourselves with the best choice of leadership that share in and are passionate about achieving the goal even when the going gets tough. Club racing is the forum for you to race in if you are intent on arguing about every curve that comes your way.

Third we as racers must recognize that even with our significant personal investments, it is corporate monies (aka sponsorships) and a for profit sanctioning body that will work to create a return on investment that will drive long term success.

Fourth - The definition of a winning corporate sponsorship is one that maximizes and optimizes exposure in print, television, and on-the-ground at the race site exposure. This means that the greater the opportunity for higher spectator count the greater the potential for corporate sponsorships. Trust me when I say that corporate sponsors only win when they get attention and sell product - we the racers are merely a means to an end that hopefully has win/win potential.

Fifth - The selection of race venues is very important to the ultimate success and achievement of the overall goal. It must appeal to the greatest amount of public audience. So therefore all the races cannot always be in the warm southeast (aka Florida). Until we achieve great fame and significant sponsorship opportunities standing in line our chosen leadership must have the courage to align us with venues that want us and will promote us as a professional motorsport.

Sixth - We must recognize that private promoters (not always) but inherently have personal goals to optimize their return not the sports. But owning a venue takes time and mandates a confidence exist between the sanctioning body and local government.

Seventh - We must choose the leadership that is willing to fight the tough battles. I personally want leaders that will fight for the vision in a professional straightforward manner and communicate the facts staying away from innuendo and the "gutter" of personal emotion.

Eighth - Our sport in inherently dangerous, we cannot afford to be aligned with any organization that does not provide the absolute best in race site safety measures in a quantifiable way.

I could go on with many more points (perhaps you will care to comment others) but I will stop here.

My "personal" opinion is that APBA Offshore, LLC. shares the greatest commonality with my personal perspective and goal for the sport. I do not always agree with everything that they choose to do, but they are my personally chosen leadership team and as such, deserve my support and allegiance even in times of disagreement. Debate and questions are healthy but ultimately a professional needs to make a choice and carry on.

The professionalism in this sport is without question growing. I ask each of you to take a step back from the emotions and egos that drive us all and make a choice!
Then support your choice!

Again thank-you for the privilege of your association and friendship.

Mark Skrzypek
Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

Mark...

I feel, as Im sure others on this board do, We just want the truth. It seems both parties have much to say. But none of it makes any sense.

To have such a huge event like the Worlds at KW cancelled , changed two months before the event, just takes the wind out of our sails. This is the big one. We look forward to this all year. Yes LLC has brought the sport a long way and I will be the first to admit that. But what the hell is goin on??? No one really knows. We cant help but be emotional, This was a major major blow to the racers that worked so hard to get to the point of the KW world championships.

Just my take on this mess.

Regards

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 09-17-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Registered

Bruce,

I understand anyones disappointment with the change of venue from Key West with the late notice. But the World event will go on this year at Orange Beach which if we as racers look at objectively perhaps has more to offer over the long run than Key West. KW is a great vacation destination, but for many of the reasons I mentioned Orange Beach has as much or more potential. If we pull together as a team, racers and APBA Offshore alike there is no reason Orange Beach will not be even better than KW. I hope all the racers can get beyond the disappointment in the last minute change and pull together to achieve racer attendance at Orange Beach without creating doubts as to the numbers and level of competition. I know this can happen, I believe it!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MARK,

IT WAS A PLEASURE READING WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY.I AM GLAD THAT OUR MAJAOR SPONOR HAS MORE FORSIGHT THEN MOST. I HOPE YOU WILL STAY WITH US TO SEE THE GOALS YOU MENTIONED ACHEIVED. WITH YOUR HELP IT WILL MAKE IT JUST THAT MUCH EASIER.

THANK YOU FOR SPONSORING US THIS FAR AND I HOPE MUCH LONGER.

ERIC TREADWELL

TREADWELLMOTORSPORTS.COM
Old 09-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Offshore Addiction

well said mark,and you to eric,by the way how you been eric,we just need to know north or south we we hit I75,did I hear someone say prior 60 degrees up there in november? BURRRRRRRRR!

Old 09-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

No one said APBA was not trying to grow our sport. Racers just want to race in KW for the worlds in Nov. I don't want to race there in July! It is the history of racing in the worlds in KW that we all like so much.
Location,Location,Location sound familiar?
MD

Lets put on the best darn show they have ever seen in Alabama NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Registered

Randy,

Glad to see that you've vented and that you are back! That's what I meant about being professional and supporting the overall vision. You and your Team are important to the sport, just as all the others that come out just to try and beat you guys. See you at Orange Beach.

Mark
Old 09-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Registered

Mark,

Thank you for your thoughts, we as racers could use some reassuring at this point. If it was'nt for the support of GMC, and more importantly, guy's like you and Terry, I know that I would not be racing with the LLC the last few years, nor would I have made the commitment to build and race a new Super V. This type of turmoil is not uncommon in offshore racing, but if Lee Mills is a principal in the LLC, how can this control issue take place at this stage? Are there not binding contracts that are put in place to prevent such things, or at least a back up plan? It seems like at every drivers meeting we hear the same things. The schedule is solid from here on out and bla bla bla. At any rate, even though it has been a tough season for Steve and I, if the APBA Worlds were in Alaska, we would be there! Ray Delaney, SuperV 88.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Registered

Ray,

It's because of guys like yourself and Steve that this sport is indeed growing. Team Fury (88) is a great example of what I was trying to describe when I was talking about racers spending their own money to be out there.

The dedication by not only the racers but the largely volunteer staff that keeps getting better and better with each race event is what keeps me addicted with the sport.

I can understand the frustration with changing venues and cancellations. I also thought we had a rock solid rest of the year schedule. But understanding what has caused the last minute changes I can honestly say I am glad that the APBA LLC had the courage to change their schedule rather than put themselves at risk financially and reputation wise. They are what has gotten us to this point and I would rather have straightforward bad news and the confidence that they are going to make the best of the situation, than to try and make an out of control situation appear to be otherwise.

With what insight I have to the whole season and the LLC's plan going forward it will continue to grow and for those that stick with the course, even when the going gets difficult, the rewards will ultimately be there.

As for Alaska, I think Orange Beach is a much better choice. I know you guys will be there and your luck I am sure is due to change. I know that new boat is capable and just like last year you guys will have it dialed in for the real show at the Worlds!

Mark