Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
APBA and Lee Mills..... >

APBA and Lee Mills.....

Notices

APBA and Lee Mills.....

Old 09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ONCE AGAIN.....this is not *****ing. I am simply asking questions in an effort to have a somewhat intellectual discussion of the issues at hand. Geesh!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:10 PM
rpusillo

This is about honest progress and evolving toward a better product. When all of you see how Orange Beach has a race cource that could eventually pack as many as 500,000 people along the shore and in the condos facing the water. This is what takes the racing to another level. Spectators! People! Cheering and screeming and waving. All the locations will have to be able to get the fans there.

Old 09-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Shane,
The issue at hand is not about Mike A and his income,it is about boat racing and all of the people that are actually involved with the sport racers and sponsors.The last I knew of you racing was in Key West when the deck was ripped off of Nickys boat with you at the wheel/remember I was there and you cant sit there and tell anyone that the way APBA is handling the races & events is not better than the way it was in the past,can you .If you think so step up to the plate and show us a better way,you could start by pulling that 24 skater out and actually participating in a event in stead of bashing the people who put on the event or whatever else you seem to have a problem with.I dont care if anyone is making a living on boat racing,and I hope someday they can,but until then shut up or put upand lets go racing,why dont you get Nicky to pull out the 32 skater and maybe he will let you run it with him as long as you promise not to tear the deck off of this boat,just kidding,I know that he thinks it was all your fault.We all need to stand up for our sport and Mike A and hopefully it will continue to go in the right direction.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally posted by 1HYPER1
Hey Shane,
The issue at hand is not about Mike A and his income,it is about boat racing and all of the people that are actually involved with the sport racers and sponsors.

The issue at hand is about APBA LLC making promises they have not fulfilled, i.e races/venues set in stone. Please see Mr. David's post to verify that such locations are able to be established and locked in for Hydros that have 12 boats and offshore brings in that many times 4 or 5. Why is it that offshore has had this same problem for decades and hydros have not? Also see SBI. Again, DO NOT READ MORE INTO THIS THAN WHAT IT IS! I have stated earlier and MUTLTIPLE times that I am not supporting or bashing ANY organization, I am simply calling it as I see it and asking questions. As a sponsor, why would I want to put money into a sport, based on demographics, (see Joyce Julius Reports and the demographics published by APBA LLC) that I cannot rely upon? i.e. venues are NOT set in stone (as promised) and CHANGES happen regularly. If you have ever solicited sponsor dollars you should be well aware that demographics i.e. exposure and impressions per event, are primary concerns of marketing and advertising managers. The issue is also that claims are made that the LLC directors have put a lot of their own money into races etc., yet Mike A also states he draws a hefty 6 figure income. Which is it? Again, see my other posts from way back when I specifically stated that he has every right to earn a living from this company, the LLC. Furthermore, this is a discussion board where we are supposed to be able to have intellectual discussions about topics that effect the sport we all enjoy. If we cannot DISCUSS these things openly and fairly, then there really is no discussion at all. It is then simply a place where we should come to get instructions from our fearless leaders.

The last I knew of you racing was in Key West when the deck was ripped off of Nickys boat with you at the wheel/remember I was there and you cant sit there and tell anyone that the way APBA is handling the races & events is not better than the way it was in the past,can you .

I will assume that is a question. Well, I guess YOU haven't paid much attention then have you? Since racing with Nicky in1996 I have raced AS STATED EARLIER (please re-read this entire thread as well as others about this same topic, I think you will find the answers to all of your questions contained therein) I have raced 2 different boats in B class and one in Factory 2. Additionally, who are you? How can I remember that you were there when I don't even know who you are? You have not identified yourself. If you re-read what I have said in prior posts either here or in other threads about the APBA, you will note that I have said that they (the LLC) have certainly made much progress, however, I think we all can agree that more still needs to be made. However, I CAN say that promises have been made about events being set in stone and they are NOT! I do not make promises I cannot fulfill.

If you think so step up to the plate and show us a better way,you could start by pulling that 24 skater out and actually participating in a event in stead of bashing the people who put on the event or whatever else you seem to have a problem with.

I have no desire to manage a racing body. However, that does not preclude myself, or anyone else from attempting to have an intelligent and rational discussion of the topics at hand. Or are the only people allowed to discuss such things those that have currently paid equipment fees and race? What's more, I have no desire to race my personal boat. To much expense in terms of repairs etc., risk of damage etc etc etc. AGAIN, I am NOT bashing. How is asking questions bashing? With all due respect you seem to be posting based on emotion not fact. See your quote directly above where you fail to identify what I have a problem with. ONCE AGAIN, I have NO PROBLEM. I am simply ASKING! Why is that so difficult for some people to understand? If I am SO WAY off base as you all seem to think, I again ASK, why have these questions NOT been answered? If there is nothing contained therin that would indicate any wrong doing then there should be no reason to be concerned in answering the same. As stated earlier, these are questions that I have based on information provided to me by an APBA member to which I am seeking verification/clarification. I would think that the LLC board would want clarification brought to this matter quickly.

I dont care if anyone is making a living on boat racing,and I hope someday they can,but until then shut up or put upand lets go racing,why dont you get Nicky to pull out the 32 skater and maybe he will let you run it with him as long as you promise not to tear the deck off of this boat,just kidding,I know that he thinks it was all your fault.We all need to stand up for our sport and Mike A and hopefully it will continue to go in the right direction.
I have put up. I HAVE raced in APBA, SBI and USO. I have also recognized as have so many past racers that I would much prefer to do poker runs. However, I don't think that precludes me from entering into discussions on racing. Although Nicky thinks that we stuffed somehow due to my driving when we were out front all by ourselves after passing Kamakaze, I would still have him throttle again in a minute. I AM standing up for our sport. I do not believe in blindly following though. If this sport is EVER going to progress to anything more (which I hope it does but have my reservations) open and honest leadership is needed. Poor Gene Whipp is probably turning over in his grave. If in fact you do race, again, I have no idea who you are, best wishes and be safe and remember I am simply ASKING, not accusing anyone of anything, just ASKING the tough questions.

Last edited by Shane; 09-28-2003 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 09-28-2003, 07:06 AM
rpusillo

Spectators!!! Fans!!! People!!! Organized particapation!!
More spectators!!! More fans!!! More people!!!

Old 09-28-2003, 09:37 AM
ModMachine

Shane said,"Please see Mr. David's post to verify that such locations are able to be established and locked in for Hydros that have 12 boats and offshore brings in that many times 4 or 5. Why is it that offshore has had this same problem for decades and hydros have not?"

You have GOT to be joking me Shane.
Shane you tell us you are just 'asking questions' but really your just spreading a lot of garbage on here fed to you by someone else that you dont know a whole lot about.
Do you even know the hydros only had SIX races this year?Not one single one was a new race site.They are clinging by a thread to some very very OLD races.What about the other OLD races?Where's the Owensboro race?The Hawaii race?The Dallas race?The Lake Mead race?The Havasu Race?
How can Steve David try to state that hydros dont ever have trouble keeping race sites?Give me a friggin break.
Even the oldest race in American history,The Gold Cup almost didnt happen.A month before the event,the race was canceled then the date reestablished just WEEKS before.Teams had to do a mad scramble but there were only 11 of them so it was not as big a deal as it is when it happens to offshore.
Read on.

No money so hydros canceled

May 2, 2003

BY ERIC SHARP
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Beset by years of debt, the Detroit Gold Cup unlimited hydroplane race has been called off for June 22. The event might be rescheduled for Aug. 24 if financial details can be worked out with DaimlerChrysler, the title sponsor.

A race official, who asked not to be identified, said the Spirit of Detroit organization that put on the four-day Thunderfest Weekend faced the same financial hole as last year, about $350,000 to $400,000. The official said the race committee simply ran out of time in its efforts to find sponsors who would pay off some of the debt so that the race could be held.

The event, first held in 1904, is one of the oldest in motor sports. In recent years, it has brought 200-m.p.h., jet-turbine powered hydroplanes to race on the Detroit River's famed 2.5-mile course near Belle Isle.

Last summer, race organizers received last-minute financial support from Chrysler, Ford, General Motors and several other Detroit area businesses, and the 700 race volunteers scrambled to pull off an event on about six weeks' notice.

But most of that financial support was in the form of loan guarantees. The Spirit of Detroit group was unable to raise enough money to make a significant reduction in the debt or convince some of the creditors to accept smaller amounts. In fact, at least two of those creditors have filed suit to collect what they say they are owed.

Hydro Prop Inc., the Florida firm that runs the unlimited circuit, has agreed to the Aug. 24 date if the race committee and Chrysler can work out a financial agreement next week.

Phil Linsalata, who took over as the volunteer president of the race, said he would resign within a couple of days because the August date would conflict with races he was bringing to Wyandotte two weekends earlier.

~

Shane said: "If you re-read what I have said in prior posts either here or in other threads about the APBA, you will note that I have said that they (the LLC) have certainly made much progress, however, I think we all can agree that more still needs to be made. However, I CAN say that promises have been made about events being set in stone and they are NOT! I do not make promises I cannot fulfill."

Sorry Shane.If you dont like it when races are not set in stone for the year.,then boat racing is not the place for you.Race course trouble is and always has been very much a part of boat racing.Noise,pollution,manatee,sea turles,lack of city support,kids sailing interference,Womens glee club refusing dock access-All known to make boat racing have a hard time.I think the LLC is doing pretty well considering they've got even more than others to contend with.
One race in a different circuit was cancelled this summer because the local water patrol didnt like how the bouys were anchored!Another was cancelled because of SARS.Cypress Gardens?Gone!!
But even you admit theres been much progress in offshore with the LLC in charge.
Damn right there!
So why are so many of you trying to break that progress down?Whats up with that?????
Now my question.You said an APBA member is behind you feeding you your questions?
Who is that person? And what is his purpose?

Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 AM
Registered

Mod Machine,

Thanks for the reply. First, PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND MY POSITION! If I have been ineffective at presenting it I will try and be more clear. I am in full support of offshore. I grew up around it and and raced multiple boats in multiple classes. I think the main reasons why there are only 12 boats or so in Unlimiteds are multiple. I hate to diverge from the threads intended topic but your comments in reply to Mr. David's warrant a reply. And a respectful one.

1. Unlimiteds are INCREDIBLY expensive.
2. The number of people talented enough and with the balls to drive them are few and far between.

Yes, Unlimiteds have been racing at teh same locations for years and that is exactly Mr. Davids and my point as well. And even when things got real close to not happening it somehow came together. KW is just one of those places. This morning I received an email from a friend that is a racer and he shed some more light on the subject for me. He asked I keep it in confidence and I will respect his wishes. I hope he is correct, because if he is, I think 2004 and 2005 should be big steps forward for the sport.

With regard to your following point/question, "You said an APBA member is behind you feeding you your questions? Who is that person? And what is his purpose?" First let me say this. He is not feeding me any questions. He spoke with me regarding the recent events. He shared with me his understanding and perspectives. His thoughts and information prompted ME to ask those questions FOR MYSELF. I don't believe in giving out others names without their express permission, I am sorry but that would breach his trust. I do not believe he has any purpose or hidden agenda. I surely could be wrong, but at this point I have no reason to believe so. Again, I am just asking. What is so bad about that? I am NOT trying to launch an assault on Offshore nor am I trying to discredit amy organization. Why do I have to constantly repeat myself? Make no mistake about it, I call it as I see it and I am the first to admit when I am wrong. But what is there to be wrong about b merely asking questions?

With regard to your comment about race venues being an inherent problem in offshore racing...I agree and I believe I made tha abundantly clear in prior posts. Additionally, please note, in other posts as well I state that I have not raced in several years for these very same reasons. So you are correct, dealing with those issues not my gig so I have chosen to discontinue racing for now and simply go poker and fun running. But again this is mere reiteration of what I have already said countless times.

As I said before, I hope my posts have made my position clear and I stand fully behind the progrssion of racing, just not all the politics and nonsense that have been a part of it since its infancy.

Last edited by Shane; 09-28-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:33 AM
ModMachine

Shane,
If you honestly believe race venues are an inherent problem with boat racing then why are you coming down so hard on APBA for the KW deal???I noticed you never asked Mills any questions and he should be asked some of these hard questions too.you even admitted in aother thread that about 500 (10%) of your postings on OSO are about APBA.But you have nothing to ask Mills about???
I do think that asking questions of all involved is a good practise.From everyone.But Sometimes its better not to have someone as you admitted above,,, 'prompting' you to ask them.If that guy is honest and concerned and proactive,LEt him make the calls and ask the questions himself.From the way you described him and how he wants to stay hidden while you take heat he sounds a little like a weasel to me.That just comes from personal experience with those shadowy types.Dont let him use you like that Shane.
I admire you for being curious though,since you dont race anymore,,,but if you look agian you really are not simply just asking questions here.You are also making statements like when you agreed with Steve when he said hydros dont have venue change problems like the LLC.Or when supported Cashbrian when he announced that the Orange Beach race was not going to be UIM.Thats when I felt I had to point out,,,not that I wanted to,,,but the facts are hydros have lost more race venues than they ran this year.WHen they are that far away from the truth and not purely just innocent questions I feel the need to respond.But When they come from an unknown third party and are absent of facts they start to look a lot like personal digs.
Come on now.Nobody wanted to see KW go down like it did.Not the LLC,,,not the sponsors,the fans,,the townsfolk,especially not the teams.Im sure Mills has regrets about cutting out the LLC now too.Pretty dumb move IMO.But whats done is done here.What good does it do to anyone to rehash and rehash it out on this forum???So Lets stop all this groin kicking while LLCs down nonsense and wait to see how this quick partnering of LLC and Orange Beach turns out before we cry total distaster.
SHUT UP AND RACE

Last edited by ModMachine; 09-28-2003 at 11:45 AM.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:31 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I got a great idea lads....why don't we send out the donation tray and buy em all UIM, APBA, APBA Offshore LLC, SBI, FBI, DEA, EPA, FDA, and whoever else in the world wants to throw in their initials too......The you will be truly KING of the WORLD....it's a conspiracy I tell you just listen to the voices in your head what they are telling you? The newspapers are now in code to have the evil martian dictators take over the world....and last but not least Ben and Jerry's ice cream is really high powered mind altering drug that puts you in a hypnotic trance to conquer the Pillsbury Factory and reinvent Hagen Dazs Ice Cream..........Bah Humbug

The above is for informational purposes only and in know way is based on actual people or events and any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

In all seriousness the above reminds me alot of some of past ravings about a whole lot of nonsense. The fact of the matter if you could get the sanctioning bodies to unite and above all actually AGREE on how it should be operated then you are making progress, until then you will have what we have now. It's not a bad thing just a somewhat confusing thing at times. I will say however that the rule enforcement adhered to by Mike A & Offshore has certainly made that series extremely competitive. SBI still has the Superboat Class as does Offshore in the Performance Classes. So this presents the racers with the right to choose whatever body they want to compete in and ultimately the right to debate which one is better. Now with all of my mindless ranting over I will say this; SHUT UP AND RACE!!! Quote "The Joker" never more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sean stinson; 09-28-2003 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: APBA and Lee Mills.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.