Notices

Biloxi

Old 04-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Peconic
It is good to hear that the Biloxi race is drawing so much attention that the owner of a world famous 18 foot Donzi voices his concerns about the water depths.

Folks, that race course has been checked out by the same people you supposedly are concerned about.

This picture shows David, Teague, Welling, Whittier, Richardson, and Hedrick checking out the race course. Mike Tomlinson and Ray Standley also have gone over this race course with a fine tooth comb (and the stick mentioned in the article.)
It figures. There is an intelligent conversation about racer safety and you have to take it personally and take a cheap shot at the originator of the thread.

This conversation is not new. I remember when the Heartbeat Fountain stuffed and tore much of the deck off after it hit bottom. I believe that was Key West 1994. The Charleston, SC race that was proposed several years ago was going to be 1 - 1/2 miles off the beach in order to get to a 16 foot depth.

Let's just hope that nobody proves you right or wrong in Biloxi.
Attached Thumbnails Biloxi-heartbt.jpg  

Last edited by Phantom1; 04-14-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At least they dug up the 90 foot sunk shrimp boat that was rite in front of the Isle of Capri. It would have been in a bad spot.

What are they doing about all the channel markers ??

When we were there in August They were still dredging that hole area. Should be ok on depth in the Channel.yall be carefull and have a safe race.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=72036

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not only do you have to worry about the spots that need dredging, you have to worry about the spots they put the dredge material. look at the chart and you'll see an old disposal area not far outside the channel limits. old disposal areas can have isoloated mounds of material if the material wasn't distributed properly during disposal. the isolated mounds may not have been detected with the "stick" method of sounding. just be cautious when boating in or around dredge disposal areas. this advice is for everyone everywhere. i have not worked in biloxi so i do not have current hydrographic survey data, but i'll check with the corps of engineers and see what they have.

bertel, by the way, i have a 16' donzi that is not world famous. can i participate in the discussion or do i have to go home since i sold my race boat>?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Registered

If it's not world famous, then you must go home
Old 04-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Registered

I'LL GET BACK IN MY BOX THEN.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Registered

I hear you, Mike.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered

THE NAVIGATION CHANNEL IS ONLY 150' WIDE IN THAT AREA.

I'M AVAILABLE TO PERFORM HYDROGRAPHIC SURVEYS OF RACES SITES. THE SURVEYS WILL INCLUDE AS MUCH DATA AS YOU'RE WILLING TO PAY FOR. WE CAN COVER MUCH MORE AREA WITH A FATHOMETER THAN YOU CAN WITH A STICK. OH, AND I'LL EVEN PRINT IT OUT ON A PRETTY SHEET GEOREFERENCED WITH THE NAVIGATIONAL CHANNEL AND OTHER LAND FEATURES. CORRECTED FOR TIDES. IN COLOR, TOO. HMMMM.......BACK OUT OF THE BOX FOR A SHAMELESS PLUG. PM FOR PRICING.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for the offer! This might be an interesting new business for you. Phone's ringing off the hook already! Just getting off the phone with a (world famous) cat driver who said: "Marathon can be even weirder. 5 feet in places!"

I'm confident the bathymetric intricacies of Marathon (and all subsequent races) will be discussed with the same level of sincerity.

Last edited by Peconic; 04-14-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Registered

SAME OLD BUSINESS. I HAVE 2 HYDRO SURVEY BOATS RUNNING FULL TIME TO KEEP UP WITH THE DREDGES AND 1 EXTRA THAT I CAN ADD WHEN NEEDED FOR CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

MIKE, THE ONLY TIME WE USE A "STICK" IS WHEN WE PROBE AN AREA TO SEE WHAT TYPE OF MATERIALS WE WILL ENCOUNTER. SOUNDING POLES CAN BE USED, BUT METHODOLOGY NEEDS TO BE UNDERSTOOD. DATA DENSITY CAN BE AN ISSUE IF TERRAIN FEATURES CHANGE OFTEN.

IF THERE IS GENUINE CONCERN ABOUT WATER DEPTH, THEN FOR LIABILITY REASONS A PRO HYDRO SURVEYOR SHOULD BE USED TO DO RECON ON A RACE SITE.

MY BET IS MOST FACTORS WERE INVESTIGATED PRIOR TO CHOOSING THE COURSE LOCATION. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT TOO MUCH.

Quick Reply: Biloxi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.