Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
One Big Race Just for the Fans >

One Big Race Just for the Fans

Notices

One Big Race Just for the Fans

Old 05-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Idea, but I would like to see it in Point Pleasant as well. That is the site wich is most rich in history and tradtion as well as being the most nuetral
Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 AM
VIP Member

Default Yowza

The phone is running around the desk. Use my Email Smittymarine@aol. and I will get right back to you. Nick is handling the Emails, this could be hugh. Lets start with the P boats and work our way up. All I want to know right now is who is in. What racers will run for the fans. Send me contact info. Everyone cries for it so put up or shut up!!!!! Smitty
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Mathews
[B]Frank,

I respect your response and it's many valid points. My short rebuttal is that you in so many words want this to be an SBI event even though you didn't come right out and say it. Am I wrong? Points shouldn't matter if this is a Unity Race. Furthermore, if the race was sanctioned by one body, the points wouldn't matter to the racers from other body's. Would you agree? The rules and Refs can be worked out by a vote of the racers who register/pay for the race. Insurance should not be as big of a deal as you say it is. Perhaps if OB was the location, the Gulf Coast P.B. Association could handle it. Refs and rescue could also be worked out.

I don't appreciate my opinion to be taken as negative. I'm simply pointing out issues that need to be addressed to make this a reality

Mark,
I don't think your response is negative. But if you read Smitty's first post he explains why Orange Beach. And it is not necessarily because it's an SBI event.

To start this massive project from scratch would put a lot of additional pressure on all concerned. Perhaps we should save the big steps for 2005 as SNGLSTACK points out. This would be a very doable small step. OB is one of the worlds most perfect venues for Offshore racing. They have shown how impartial they are by hosting both SBI and APBA. And you are correct about Gary Nichols he is one of the great ambassadors of our sport.

I'm sure you are trying to help. But I have to say that the "ISSUES" you are concerned about, tend to become the reasons a unification race does not happen.

I think Smitty is suggesting that the racers ***edabout the "ISSUES" and do this thing we all want at a place we will all enjoy doing it. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone should just drop there colors and show up for the FANS.

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Mark,
With all due respect, I think you underestimate the racers. I also think you can't apply any lessons from the 2003 season to the current situation.

If the Jerzy Boyz, Gary Nichols and a bunch of guys who race, really want this to happen. As NIKE says "Impossible Is Nothing". SQ
Old 05-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Be like Tiger and Just Do It. Anyone can come up with reasons not to do it. That's easy. Doing something out of the norm takes some balls. Just do it.

Forget the issues, this one is for the fans.

Orange Beach has the fan base like no other venue. They've stepped up and helped APBA when they needed a place to run their Worlds on short notice. Gary and OB have given to everyone in the sport in a big way.

Time to give something back folks. Hopefully, you'll agree it's always better to give than to recieve.

It's up to all the racers to make this race historic. Just do it....for the fans.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Mark,
You are not bad at all. In fact, yours is the kind of discussion that makes people want to join in. You ask thought provoking questions and don't seem to be promoting a separate agenda. Not having the pleasure of knowing you, I could be wrong.

I think the people who are currently involved in the sport have seen similar threads degenerate. We hear from the parade of experts (not you Mark) who are "sincerely" trying to help Offshore racing and sign off by suggesting Poker Runs or threatening to quit competing.

Smitty, is trying to do a positive thing here. An intelligent person like yourself could be invaluable to his efforts. If you start making suggestions about how this could work, it probably will. SQ
Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Default Mark

There are no bad guys here. Just a bunch of crazies check your mail Smitty
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 AM
powerboat princess

Default OSS

OSS members always have an open invitation- we would love for them to come. We invited them for May Race and Instigator came ( and got lots of publicity for their sponsor)

Old 05-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Shane, I remember your swim in Seaside two years ago.

Yup, our Atlantic ocean is still hungry for you left coasters.

Quick Reply: One Big Race Just for the Fans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.