Notices

Class 1 Spain

Old 06-09-2004, 05:42 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Class 1 Spain

Polli's boat is the sister boat of Callan/Jolly Motors and The other Spirit of Norway (Dyke) is one of the Austrailians boats now. I thought all of them had the small tunnels.

What is the width of Callan?

pat W
Old 06-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter
What is the width of Callan?

pat W
We're 70". The wider tunnel is more stable (safer) than the 66" tunnel (IMHO). I'll agree in advance that at a point wider is not stable. I'd say that 74" is pushing it.

Last edited by tachyon; 06-09-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Registered

I thought all of them had the small tunnels.

pat W
We're (Callan Marine/Jolly Motor)the smallest at 70". Jotun's Tencara was slightly wider at 72" (I recall) and I suspect the the old Spirit tencara is 72" based on how it carries the bow. We liked the fact that Jolly Motor always ran a bit flat on the racecourse (i.e. top speed about 165). On the kilo course it is highly stable at speeds in the 200's.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:29 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

It looked very impressive last year in Marathon. Tunnel width in my opinion was a way to keep the european boats from comming over. That should be abolished.
pat W
Old 06-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Registered

That should be abolished.
pat W
Couldn't agree more...how about everybody adopting a length spec of 40 -44 feet and a minimum weight of 9500lbs? Optimally, I'd opt for a lighter minimum weight and put pressure on hull manufacturers to build lighter boats. It's all about HP to weight...lighter boats will go faster with a given hp...hp is more expensive than lightweight laminates. Things have changed...carbon fiber laminate schedules can be economically neutral...Jolly Motor is 10 years old and has no structural wear, has had three different power plants.... including a 6000hp setup and recently ran over 210mph. Why invest in big power when you can invest in a light weight hull that will last a decade and run up front with docile power?

Last edited by tachyon; 06-10-2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Registered

It looked very impressive last year in Marathon. pat W
We had an average a lap speed of 151 and had a top speed of 197 on the straightaway...
Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

OSS let Live Bait run in Biloxi with a 750lb penilty. It still ran up front (until they broke) even with the added wieght.

Shifter, say hello to my Uncle Eddie for me.

Ron Polli
Old 06-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
OSS let Live Bait run in Biloxi with a 750lb penilty. It still ran up front (until they broke) even with the added wieght.

Ron Polli
Ron,

I could be wrong but I think they cut the weight penalty in half after testing. I think he raced with 375lbs of "parity weight".
Old 06-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will the Lombo pull out of C-1.It may be time to look at a mew engine package. A tall deck 600ci or 632ci GM BBC with a spec heads and 11to 1 cr.
and rev limit to 6400rpm.This engine will make the same power as the current 500ci.S/Cat engine running at 7400rpm.and last much longer and this will cut the cost of racing.
Dave
Old 06-14-2004, 01:45 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Tachyon,

Logic seems to escape the racing community. What is good for racing seems to be forgotten. Sometimes it looks like they really do not want competition but they want a trophy. Less boats you do not have to be that good. I have been watching the politics in offshore since 1988. In 1988 at a typical uim race we had 28 class 1 boats. Now it is down to 11. I still see no reason for it to go back up unless they go away from the current direction of rules. There are a lot of motor builders and manufactures like myself that made up the rest of the field that they are missing. Cost is an issue that everyone is using as an excuse. Competition breeds cost reduction. Exclusivity means price increase. A supercat engine went from 27,000 to 45,000 in one year. I hope that the uim/sbi/apba/oss/.... can get together in one room and have some dialog to getting the sport pointed in one direction.

Dwes,
Audi/Lambo announced this year that they were pulling the plug. I am sure that the details are somewhere. I will see if I can get more info on that.

Ron,
I hope to make it over this year to see him and the rest but we are burried.

pat W

Quick Reply: Class 1 Spain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.