Notices

Racing with OPA

Old 09-28-2004, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Racing with OPA

Dave, I think everyone is saying buy the better ones. According to Bruce this model is already discontinued. The boat that finished ahead of us showed 67 mph, mine showed 78.7, go figure!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without trying to beat a dead horse, These particular units do not work in the conditions they are presented. Obviously, they are not designed for race boats in rough water conditions. These particular units were desiged and sold as affordable units for the avg day boater, hiker, or camper and cannot take the pounding that they do without getting false readings. We need to do more research and try different units. I paid 200 for a handheld unit that is right on the money with my dash mount. I would certainly like to know more about the recalibration and maintainence they do after every race.
Lets not fight among each other, but work toward the common goal of a concrete set of rules and parity in all classes. Without a rule book, we have no idea whats goin on.

So far, we havent heard a single thing from anyone at OPA. I know I would want to respond if I was them, and assure the racers that we will work diligently to correct the flaws in the system.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:08 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Guys,

I was not there for any of this but I have a question for a few of you and a suggestion. I know a few of you all raced the APBA series in 2003. They seemed to have a sealed padded brief case style box that the GPS went into. Those of you that raced P class with them last year can attend to the answers of this. How accurate do you suggest that those systems were that APBA used last year. Another suggestion would be if they were accurate try to find out the details on APBA set up and follow it for 2005.

Again this is only a suggestion and I am not looking to get bashed here. Just trying to help a few friends that don't like what is going on thus far.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I tend to agree with Bruce, lets help Kurt figure a better way.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Registered

I don't remember what gps they used but I do remember the box it was in.
What if the only way to measure top speed was with a quality gps installed by the sanctioning body on your boat for the race, and all other gps and spedo's on your boat were disabled?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Registered

Just got off the phone with Kurt in a gentleman like conversation. After speaking with him, I cant come to a conclusion.

The numbers dont make sense, and I could not, in good concience, ask him to change any results until further review of the situation.

We know what our GPS read and we also know what our competitors GPS read. I dont think any of them challenged the readings. So therefore, we should use our GPS reading, Right? I dont know.

The avg lap speeds dont make sense at all, but how can we check that. Apparently, the lap distance was inccorect in the first race and adjusted for the second race. There is obviously an error somewhere, but we just dont know where. Kurt is still looking at the results and trying to figure out where everything went wrong. Will it change the results? I doubt it, but maybe it will be fixed for the next time.

Anyway, I just want to say thanks to Kurt for speaking with me. I know its a tough situation to be in. So, lets cut him some slack.

And Randy, if we went back to GPS speeds, you would still not win because the time penalty was 3 minutes not 1 minute. you may have even got fourth. So, be happy with second.

.5 mph - 1.4 mph = 1 minute penalty
1.5 mph - 4.4 mph = 3 minute penalty
4.5 mph and up is 5 minute penalty
Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Racing with OPA

Can anyone tell me what the total penalty assessed on Intimidator was?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Bruce, I was only going by what I was told at the drivers meeting just the night before. There was no mention of a 3 min. penalty ever mentioned. Maybe in the past thats how it was but I went by what I was told by the Chief Referee at the drivers meeting. If Im way off base here and others heard him say anything about a 3 min. penalty please speak up.
MD
Old 09-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

Randy, Kurt told me several things that I will share with you.

First...the rule book hasnt changed since last year. so the time penalties are not published. Maybe an addendum should have been printed and distributed at the meeting or at the beginning of the year.

Second..No one was taking notes at the drivers meeting. Were they.?
He was surprised about that.

Third ..I do remember 1 - 3 - 5 minute penalties. I just didnt rememeber the speed breakdown. so, maybe we should have taken notes.

anyway...the system failed, plain and simple and no one knows why. Hopefully, Kurt will let some of us help in the future to help OPA correct these issues and make next season better.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:48 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Racing with OPA

What's the penalty for hitting a buoy?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Racing with OPA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.