Notices

Unification

Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Unification

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
I guess someone needs to be the bad guy. May as well be me. Some people dont want to speak up because they dont want to ruffle any feathers. You know who you are.
Sorry Bruce. I'm somewhat shy on the internet. From now on I'll try to be a little more outspoken and up front about my opinions.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
Sorry Bruce. I'm somewhat shy on the internet. From now on I'll try to be a little more outspoken and up front about my opinions.
Was I looking at you??
Old 12-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Registered

Bruce, I agee. I can't sit out the season due to sponsorship obligations, but I would
do a 1 race boycott to support the cause.
Hell, I'll Boycott all the OSS races
Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered

You know Scott, I think its awesome to have a sponsor to help carry the financial load for ya. If I was racing at someone else expense, I would do it too.

However, what would you do if you were writing the checks? Forget wether you had the money or not. Be Honest. What would you do?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Registered

I would be more inclined to sit out of the big 3 and run OPA or GLSCS.
Or I'd go back to racing Jersey Skiffs
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bruce,
From what is see I think both groups will have the same rules for almost all of the classes next year so it should be easy for any team to cross over and pick any race they want to race.APBA and SBI are working everyday and have some good things happening. You will see teams racing both groups and picking sites that work for them so I don't see a problem. I disagree with what you said about me being loyal to only one group. I've been working very hard with APBA daily putting things together so I'm not sure you have all the facts. The difference is leaving your boat on the trailer doesn't really make a difference all it will do is hurt the teams that elects to sit out and that would be their choice.
I've said it time and again racers need to worry about racing and leave the rest to the promoters that what they do,and I agree if you don't like that they have going on then sit out and wait for a change. Bruce Offshore Racing has been what it is for the 20 year that I've been racing,its not going to change ever year we hear the same thing and ever year we do the same thing Race our ASS off thats what we do.Look back at the history off Offshore racing its been the same for year it is what it is nothing more nothing less. Many have tried and many have failed, I've seen so many that where going to turn Offshore Racing on it ear and here we still are what makes you think it will change or different this time.Everyone thought MA was going save the sport and here we are again,and now OSS is the newest knight in shining armer,and probable 6-8 different group that thought they had all the answer over the years. You need to look at it for what it is a bunch of guys that love the sport and would do anything for each other, and have a good time at it.

Frank
"Koolhand"
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

Oh cmon Frank, with all due repsect, dont yank my chain. You've be loyal to one Group as long as I've known you. Will I see you racing any APBA races this year?
If so, then I'll believe you.

How can you say both Assoc have the same rules? F-1 in Particular? Box, no Box
P class: Avg speed vs. Max Speed?

How can we just sit back and worry about racing when we have no idea where the future of racing is headed. How can anyone in good consience, spend big $$ on equipment and not know where they will race and for how long?

You've been racing for 20 years?? I didnt know that. Im impressed.

I understand that Offshore has been like this for a long time and it may never change. But, maybe someone should keep the racers apprised of discussions between associations, instead of having us wonder what direction we are going.

I think the promoters need to be doing a better job. There were several races last year that people had no idea there was a race in their own back yard. Miami comes to mind.

MA did a good job for a while, for 3 or 4 years there were 80 plus boats at races and 113 boats at the 2002 worlds. Unfortunately, he had a different adjenda and it went sour.

Its great to race for the love of the sport. But it costs way too much money to do without sponsors. And sponsors want the big show, sponsors want to see their names on Boats, on TV. Until they get some kind of significant return on their investment, they will stay away. And we cant continue to blow wads of cash for the love of the sport, without some help from sponsors.

Dont get me wrong, I have a great time hangin out with you and everyone else, when at the races. But its more than that to me now. Its about professionalism and competition, and showmanship. Maybe Im just taking this all too seriously, who knows?

Its been said some time ago , when its not fun anymore, it may be time to get out.

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 12-15-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

Bruce,
At this point I guess all we can do is wait and see you might be surprised. You might even see some changes to the rule books from both groups
You have some good points believe me I know where your coming from but like I said I've been where you are many times and it is what it is you'll learn.

Frank
"koolhand"
Old 12-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Registered

Bruce is literally right on the money!Its just too expensive to be a hobby sport; that is why there is such a turnover in racers.I think that it is a realistic goal to have series,event,class, and race team sponsors; quality televsion coverage, and substantial purses and high point funds.The equipment owners are carrying too much of the load...it should not be that way!
There is significant corporate involvement in other lesser forms of motorsports...there is no question that offshore powerboat racing has the potential to be much more than it currently is.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Thats a great idea why don't we form a group on equipment Owner and aggressively go after Corporate sponsor and sell them what we have,not what we wish we had.As a group sponsor might be more willing to support the sport.The monies raise could be distributed among the teams that are involved. We could all put up a certain amount of money to get the ball rolling and a small staff to go after sponsor in a aggressive manner.Create a form letter Bio's,TV schedules, Race dates,Video,Demo-graphics,Fan base and income so on.Do it professional and see what happen its worth a shoot, I'll contribute. get the monkey off the promoters back and fend for ourselves,presenting problems is easy let work on a solution.

Frank
"koolhand"

Quick Reply: Unification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.