Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4? >

To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Notices

To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
I think you could bring back A & B class with the existing boats that are out there. A could be single engine V's and B could be twin engine V's all open cockpit. With all the canopied classes having Mercury or GM motor packages for its Super V classes and Cat Lite classes.

Here is an idea.
SuperCat = Canopied twin Merc 525 or Vortec powered **
SuperCat Outboard = Canopied twin Mercury Outboard, existing Stock class boats
Super V = Canopied twin Merc 525 or Vortec powered V bottoms **
Pro V = Canopied single Merc525 or Vortec powered V bottoms **
V Twin = Open cockpit twin engine V bottom
V Single = Open cockpit single engine V bottom

**= mandatory dry exhaust for these classes!!!!!!!

The V Twin & Single classes can easily compromise 75-80% of the P-class boats that are out there. These classes are motors built or bought from other vendors then the spec class suppliers. The spec class suppliers could still participate in these classes as well as long as there engine meets the spec of these classes. I think this could bring back A & B classes and combine them with F1 & F2 without having two more additional classes.

With the money that most P class racers have spent over the years they could have been racing a Super Series boat. If for some reason a class has no participation or light participation for two years the sanctioning body has the right to drop this class as long as the participants all have been well informed of this upcoming action.

Some may say why I think Supercat today should be dropped is very simple. The guys that spend the $$s in that class can afford to run the 525/vortec and by doing this it makes it more competitive and not a who has the most $$$s to spend scenario.

Just an an idea with a little opinion added and would like to see some constructive criticism on this topic.
They should bring back B class[sport] and A class.It was popular for many years.It proved who made the most power,who had the best boat, and who could run their boat.It was an engine builders class. thats what made it so competitive.Not this Mercury BULL**** everyone has to have.The sport is ruined.Just my opinion.ignore it if you want.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what are your ideas on "spec motors"? I assume you're looking at something like 510ci, X-compression, X-venturi size, what else? What happens to those teams running an EFI package, like F1 & F2?

As a P-class racer, I've never had to deal with spec motors. Is the current A-class spec a good start? Just curious.

Brian
Old 12-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I read all of this correctly the only classes being discussed are for OPEN cockpit boats?

If that is the case, I could care less.....

I like the first proposal, get all the single engine boats out there and let them run! Give them a hp to weight rule and go at it! If you are 350 hp you can weight less than 3500 but more than 3250, etc...

Then let them race........

Rick
Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by p4-33
So what are your ideas on "spec motors"? I assume you're looking at something like 510ci, X-compression, X-venturi size, what else? What happens to those teams running an EFI package, like F1 & F2?

As a P-class racer, I've never had to deal with spec motors. Is the current A-class spec a good start? Just curious.

Brian
A and B motors were 510 ci with 9.5 to 1 comp, steel heads etc.I am saying let any engine builder build the motors like before.Alot of engine builders suffered when this monopoly of Mercury motors only took effect.And it made the sport boring to watch.A class was always a good entry level class and it was affordable.You could build a competitive 510 motor for the same or less than the mercury package.And it didnt have to go to Innovation for everything.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Registered

JC,
Was the rule 510 or up to 510?

I am curious as a 410 c.i. SBC outfitted as you state in my little toy would be awesome.

Rick
Old 12-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

Why steel heads? Port size can be played with on either type, but aluminum heads are more forgiving with higher burn temps. I use them for reliability sake, as well as the ability to fix them if something goes askew.

Last edited by p4-33; 12-29-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ryoung99
JC,
Was the rule 510 or up to 510?

I am curious as a 410 c.i. SBC outfitted as you state in my little toy would be awesome.

Rick
Up to 510 for big blocks and 375 for small blocks.Sorry
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by p4-33
Why steel heads? Port size can be played with on either type, but aluminum heads are more forgiving with higher burn temps. I use them for reliability sake, as well as the ability to fix them if something hoes askew.
Thats what the rules used to be.They allowed the Merlin head.It kept things on a level playing field.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 PM
Registered

So the 377 Scorpion was not legal? That would suck.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Registered

Rick, I understand where you're coming from... Bat boats need a place to run, and lately the only place the sanctioning bodies have supported them in is P-class. It's unfortunate, because when Chris's fleet was hopping a couple of years ago, the fans LOVED to see 6-8 of them battling it out.

My problem (not with Bats, but with canopies in general) is that once a racer has a lid over his head and is strapped in with air at his side, his ballz grow as big as grapefruits. This is a good thing (for him). It's also a bad thing for those of us with our heads bobbing in the wind trying to keep up.

Last year, there were a couple of SVL boats (ok, one) that ran P4 on Saturday, and SVL on Sunday. If he chose his prop right, there was no comparison how he got through the turns, wide open all the way around. We tend to take a different line when there aren't seatbelts involved.

I hope for you and the rest of the Bat boat fleet that things change for the better for you guys.

Brian

Quick Reply: To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.