more sportsman ideas >

more sportsman ideas

Notices

more sportsman ideas

Old 03-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more sportsman ideas

First of all, I know I'm going to hear build a boat for a class etc... but I have been working on ways to get the boat count up.
And I think finding a way to run the 100 or so old race boats and making them competitive is a way to start.

So here is an idea....

28 pitch class

With a speed goal of about 85...Which I think is a safe and sane speed for an open boat... And is open to class agreement...I believe we could require everyone to run a stock 28 p of one manufacture...and regulate speed and racing competition with rev limiters...a take off of Sprague's idea.

How it works....

1 with a little tweaking you could run single and twin together

2 there is one class tech who was the last say on what is legal and what rev chip a boat runs.

3 all props are held by class tech.

5250 rpm x 28 p x 1.5 gear x 10% slip is about 84 mph

If any boat is dominating the class rpm is pulled ie. 5100

I used the numbers from most of the factory one boats as a baseline...but any old raceboat could be made to run in this class.

for example...if you have an old A class boat you can build any motor you want so long as you hold the rpm. If it took 540 ci for your boat to turn a 28 p prop so be it.

So at the race site, at the drivers meeting, you are randomly given a prop and your assigned rpm chip.

I know some boats and combinations are going to be better than some others at certain race sites...but the goal over time would be get the class as even as possible and make for some close racing.

Another fine idea you got us in Ollie!!!

Mike Sadlon
Old 03-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Registered

Default Re: more sportsman ideas

I like that idea a lot better than the other one.
Just my .02
Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Registered

How about a triathlon format? We'll race by car from designated liquor store to designated dock, then race by boat to designated island, then we climb aboard golf carts for the final leg....
Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
As you know, I am on the same page. One prop for all or marked props get you to the same place. Marked props are a little more user friendly. What else?
- A reduction in classes. Most/all of the boats could fit in two classes.
- RPM limiters to accomplish the above.
- No break out penalties.
What is the big benefit? EVERY ex-race boat or HP sport boat could come to the races with next to no changes (except for safety requirements) and be in the hunt.
Will this happen? Not likely...
Sprague
Old 03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

Sounds simple enough to limit everyone to the same prop and rev limit. This would probably result in a very close race if it were in a straight line on good water.

Mike, let's use the 29' Fountain that you and I raced two seasons ago. Put two identical copies of that boat in your new class with one exception. One of them has a stock 500 EFI engine that will hit the rev limiter (eventually) and the other has a 650 horse 572 inch BBC (torque monster).

Same top speed, but I'll bet on 650 horse every time. The lesser engine boat will get killed through the turns, coming out of the turns, and in rough water.

You'll end up trying to limit engines, heads, etc. until you have yourself talked into something that sounds like the old A & B classes.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Step,
Rev limiters are not the same for each boat. The chips are changed based on the boats ability to get around the course. This accounts for differences in acceleration and hull efficiency. You start with an educated guess, and them reduce/increase the RPM for the clear cut over/under performers. It should all work out after two races.
Sprague
Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

I'm with you now.

I can, however, think of scenarios where an engine could be set up and "tuned" as the season went along. Or, a team could win by a narrow margin each race in order to keep from having their rev limiter changed.

But then again, the guy running second all the time could show up with a hot set-up and get a free pass for at least one race.

Maybe we should just pass out restrictor plates.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Step,
I believe your scenario is accurate in that 2 boats will be racing in front at max speed to win. Both boats would likely lose RPM for the next race.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Registered

Exactly....and don't think I'm not all over restrictor plates, it just gets too tricky and could cause engine damage if done wrong

Now get back to work, Dave...Oh what was I thinking

Mike
Old 03-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Registered

Just give me a heads up as to what propeller your going to specify. That way I can BUILD A BOAT FOR THE CLASS!!!!!!!