Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Grand Lake/LOTO/E-Dock
Is everyone OK after tonight's storms? >

Is everyone OK after tonight's storms?

Notices

Is everyone OK after tonight's storms?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is everyone OK after tonight's storms?

Just seeing if everyone is alright after the pounding we got tonight. It looked as though things may have gotten a little ugly in the lake area from the radar.

The storm went just north of us. Not by much, but enough to miss us here in Siloam Springs.

My in laws in Kansas, OK got hammered pretty good. Luckily just high winds and a lot of rain. Power is still out as I type this a couple of hours later at their place.

My parents in Gentry, AR didn't fair so well. Mom called about 10:10 tonight. They had just gotten hammered pretty good by one of the twisters about two minutes before she called me. Luckily they are OK.

They took cover in the bath tub. Dad has a REAL bad hip so he couldn't get in the tub in time. Had to sit on the edge of it while Mom took cover inside it with some pillows. Dad said he watched it coming toward them from the front yard. He then realized things were getting a little too close for comfort and headed inside just in time.

They said it lasted about 30 seconds totoal. Mom said she could feel the air getting sucked out of the house. She could hear the water being sucked through the plumbing in the house from the drain in the tub. Two doors in the interior of the home got pulled open from a latched position. The front door was locked and got sucked open. The front porch is MIA along with part of the roof where the porch used to be. They have a small horse barn that is about 15' from the house....I guess I should say "had". A light fixture in one of the spare bedrooms came out of the ceiling. Dad's fiberglass bed cover on his truck is nowhere to be seen.

Other than all of that they are fine. No injuries. Roof is still on the house and house is intact. They don't have a clue how, but it is. I'm thinking it must have not been on the ground when it went over them. That or it didn't hit them directly.

There are dozens of trees down blocking both entrances/ exits from their place. Obviously power is out. I was heading up there to start clearing them a path out of their place when Mom called telling me not to worry about it. The neighbor was making his rounds and checking on everyone. He brought his Backhow and cleared a makeshift path for them to use until morning. Dad is being bull headed and refuses to come stay here at the house. So I guess they are going to tough it out there tonight.

Hope everyone else faired better than they did. Keep us updated.

Buck
Old 03-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is everyone OK after tonight's storms?

Sorry to hear that Buck.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

buck-

sorry to hear about your family's damage! at least they are okay!

the lake area had tornados go north and south of it, but for the most part it was unharmed. Nicole and I were going to leave around 5:00pm last night, but chose to wait until the storms moved north of I-70......about 6:30 we decided to make a run for it before anything popped up again. my father decided to stay and said that from 10:30-2:30, the emergency sirens sounded in Osage Beach several times. a lot of close calls, but no damage. north and south of LOTO is a different story.

chad
Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove through sedalia during the afternoon tornado (pretty smart huh, but thats what you get when you dont watch tv and listen to cd's in the truck) i missed it on 65 by about 5 minutes, that area got torn up pretty bad.... their were several more to go through that area later as well...

we had a couple good rounds of hail in KC, shattered my glass patio table and put a pretty good beating on my bbq grill... no big deal in the grand scheme of things...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Chad,

I wondered how bad you guys got it up there. It seems like everything we get goes straight to you guys.

All is well here though. No one is injured. Just a lot of trees and debris to deal with.

I'm will have some pics to post within the next couple of days. Saw Dad's truck today. Somehow it managed to remove a fiberglass bed cover without doing any damange at all to the truck. ???? Cover is nowhere to be found. Funny thing is, he had just commented yesterday that he wanted a bed cover like mine. Now he gets one. LOL

Thanks for the words of affirmation folks.

Buck
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 536 Posts

There was a reported mico-burst not too far away from me that tore off a few roof sections but the rain we had.....WOW! I woke up about 12:45 AM and heard it coming down bad....looked out the window and though it was foggy.....then i realized that it was raining THAT hard!!! my truck was on the street about 30' away from the house and i could barely see it!!! When it dies down about 10min later i could see the street was completly flooded infront of my house and the water was about 1/2 way up the driveway to the house! And this morning i found a 2x12x6 in front of my truck!!! where it came from i have no idea!!!! But i floated from some where (Or so i hope!!!)

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Springfield, IL.....about 45 minutes north of me was hit head on with a tornado. They have reported several million dollars worth of damage to the city. There were quite a few injuries, but no deaths reported.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 402 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to hear of the damage, nut at least everyone is OK. We didn't get a whole lot in Tulsa other than a little hail. Buck, you should send your dad to Delo for the hip.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in kansas city at the embassy suites by the airport and we got alot of hail and winds but missed the tornado. It blew over two airplanes at the airport.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Sorry to hear of the damage, nut at least everyone is OK. We didn't get a whole lot in Tulsa other than a little hail. Buck, you should send your dad to Delo for the hip.
Bub,

He had it replaced about four years ago. It was a VA deal. They don't have the insurance to have it done by a real Doc. He just relies on pain killers and alcohol to take care of the rest.

I'd give anything for someone like Delo to work his magic on pops. I'll bring him up to CYC one weekend and let him party with us so you guys can meet him.

Buck

Quick Reply: Is everyone OK after tonight's storms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.