Need to find a dirt bike >

Need to find a dirt bike

Notices

Need to find a dirt bike

Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keytime
Masher, let's make sure we distinguish between dangerous machinery and riding like a jacka$$.
He drives his boat the same way! I think it qualifies as a dangerous piece of machinery too! It sure makes for a fun ride though!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
He drives his boat the same way! I think it qualifies as a dangerous piece of machinery too! It sure makes for a fun ride though!
He's still in one piece so I'd say he knows what he's doing.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

...I'm not looking for an enduro. What I'm looking at are the 4 stroke woods/trail rider bikes. These are still almost a full on race type bike, but the suspension is tweaked for woods riding rather than 80' doubles and the power is tempered more for woods riding rather than the on/off of supercross type riding. Nothing I'm looking at will be even close to street legal....

... I need something pretty even tempered like the woods rider bikes so I can stay in one piece for a while. Of course, you have to love the 250 2 stroke grunt!!

Myself and four other guys went to Chadwick, MO a couple weeks ago. If you've never been - lots of trees on what they classify a green, blue and black trails (we never tried any blacks).

Had a BLAST!!! - Going back next weekend.

One guy had a DR400 - working great for trails
One had a YZ400 - Worked... ok
One had a KTM450 - trailed fine but keep getting hot
One had a Husenburg (sp?) 400 - trailed fine but keep getting hot
And I ran an old CR250 Elsinore - Works fine but needed disk brakes.
I also took my DR650 but it never left the trailer (Too heavy for this type of riding)

I am hunting a Yamaha TW200 (wide tire) with a 30" seat height for the trails. My CR was working fine but the seat height, plus brakes, could become an issue for me as well.

If you would be interested in a (old) CR, I have a fully restored 1979 - 250 that I will be selling soon.

Chad

Last edited by RebarBox; 10-29-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

1979! Jeez you're old Chad! Where did you find parts to restore that? Can you still find the stuff you need for it. It does sound like a cool old bike though.

I haven't been to Chadwick, but all of my buddies used to go there growing up. I used to ride mostly at Deepwater, Milford, and Tuttle Creek. I've heard Chadwick was pretty much one of the best spots around.

I'm planning on buying something in about 2 - 3 weeks. I have found a coulpe of YZ 250 F bikes in my price range, so I will probably look at them. I also have a buddy who has an 04 CRF 250 for sale that has already been set up for a short guy! I think I'm going to be sol on electric start unless I want to spend a bit more. Here's a few links to some I have found on craigslist.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/896979741.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/896224237.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/898039830.html

I guess I'll see what happens. Sometimes it sucks waiting for clients to pay their bills!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

1979! Jeez you're old Chad!
Ya, just not as old as those MTI guys...

Get one bought and head up to Chadwick with us.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RebarBox

Will do! I found this up in Kansas. It is an 01 DRZ 400 E that looks to be in really clean shape. A friend of mine knows the guy and says he keeps his stuff really nice. This may be my target.
Attached Thumbnails Need to find a dirt bike-suzuki-front.jpg   Need to find a dirt bike-suzuki-rear.jpg  
Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RebarBox

Chadwick was even better back in the day before the quads tore it up. Not much singletrack any more.

If you want some great riding where you can get seriously lost, check out Talimena near the OK/AR border. Awesome.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joining the ranks of the E-Dock MX team?

You guys need a slogan like "OU broke another bone??!!"
Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bikes are much safer than quads in all aspects. I do believe that you can make a quad handle. I rode a trx450 with a 490 kit, extended swing arm, and more suspention work that I cared to hear about. It felt like a dirt bike with 2 extra wheels. Still really hard to get off of and hold on the side of a big steep hill. I want to see you not make a big hill clime on a quad,get off spin it around then get back on and ride down with no extra help.

The DRZ is a heavy bike!!! Do you need street legal? A 250 4 stroke may be something to think about, then sneak it through dmv. Also look at the new kawasaki 250 4 stroke, tame street legal,and cheap at 4800 MSRP.

I have a crf450x that I got street legal here in NJ.. if I can do that in NJ I'm sure you can do it almost anywhere (except Kalifornia).
Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Bikes are much safer than quads in all aspects. I do believe that you can make a quad handle. I rode a trx450 with a 490 kit, extended swing arm, and more suspention work that I cared to hear about. It felt like a dirt bike with 2 extra wheels. Still really hard to get off of and hold on the side of a big steep hill. I want to see you not make a big hill clime on a quad,get off spin it around then get back on and ride down with no extra help.

The DRZ is a heavy bike!!! Do you need street legal? A 250 4 stroke may be something to think about, then sneak it through dmv. Also look at the new kawasaki 250 4 stroke, tame street legal,and cheap at 4800 MSRP.

I have a crf450x that I got street legal here in NJ.. if I can do that in NJ I'm sure you can do it almost anywhere (except Kalifornia).
Nope, no street legal necessary! I just need a good woods riding thumper that I won't kill myself on.

The DRZ i put up above isn't for sale anymore. The guy decided not to sell, so I'm back looking. I have found several YZ250F bikes that are in my price range. No electric start, but it looks like I'll have to deal with it. I will have to pick up a lowering link for the rear suspension and slide the forks up a bit in the triple clamp so my feet will touch the ground. Thanks for pointing that out Masher! It won't be too long and I'll be trail riding!

MC, where do you guys usually go? Has anyone ridden the trails at Keystone? Those are the closest to the house. We have gone mountain biking out there, but the MTB trails are different than the orv trails. Anyone know what they are like?

Quick Reply: Need to find a dirt bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.