Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands >

Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Notices

Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Old 05-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Just got pulled over yesterday in my Cig w/ Zul power for loud exhaust on my way for lunch at Crabby Joe's and was made to take my boat back and put it in the rack and told never to boat in Ohio again with exhaust exceeding 90 DB and silent choice is illegal. Anyone else been harrassed? Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooner or later, you will need some kind of muffler system...90 db or not. I am assuming you have no mufflers....dry? If this is the case, maybe you do not go to Marblehead for awhile without something to take it edge off. Many marine patrols don't have the test equipment and this might be the reason you got a warning. What agency pulled you over?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Where is Crabby Joe's, in Marblehead? If so this is the first I've heard of the sound nazi's at this end of the lake. Who gave you the ticket and what was the officer's name?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Silent Choice is probably not illegal. What is illegal is if you turn your silent choice off you can not exceede 90db. So you can use your silent you just have to pass with it off.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry water nazi's

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Silent Choice is probably not illegal. What is illegal is if you turn your silent choice off you can not exceede 90db. So you can use your silent you just have to pass with it off.
unfortunately, silent choice or a switchable muffler system IS illegal in most states. a fixed muffler is required. damn water nazi's.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Crabby Joes is in West Harbor at Anchors Away Marina
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

yeah they just gave me a warning cause they didn't have a gun on them to test with. They told me I didn't want to press the issue!!! I took their advice knowing I'm well over the 90db's. Ohio State watercraft patrol is who it was. They weren't very nice about it though!!!! Yes ALL silent choice exhaust is illegal. You have to have permanent mufflers. let me know if anyone else gets it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Registered

We've been hearing that more and more that they are pulling boats over for loud mufflers. This is one of the few places in Ohio this is happening that we are aware of.

We boated for a long weekend at Marina Del Isle which I believe is the West Harbor (locals help me out here). ODNR did not bother us EXCEPT for the one newly purchased boat that did not have OH numbers because it was documented. It was still documented to the old owner and they had no paperwork to show otherwise. They let them go in the end.

Our experience with ODNR is they are not nice. Coasties, great, but ODNR is another story. We are WAY over 90db, but then again so are a few other locals who decided they just need dry exhaust or no mufflers at all. We're ok in our area (for now), but we are personally concerned when we head up there over the July 4th holiday.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepowercollector
They told me I didn't want to press the issue!!! Ohio State watercraft patrol is who it was. They weren't very nice about it though!!!! :
Ha! I cannot believe the mentality of some of these law enforcement guys, some (not all) cops are so full of themselves. It's one of the major reasons why I did not like law enforcement work after a few years. Of course I wasn't there and don't know how you handled it, but in the first place 90db is really not that loud at all and it's rediculas. The sound laws are too restrictive---my opionion of course! You must really be a REAL BAD GUY!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Silent Choice is Illegal in Michigan

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.