Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Notices

Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

smdude, Magic Medicine, Payton & sommerfliesby:

Thanks for all of your input/suggestions. I am waiting until Wednesday(8/13) to finalize my plans after I get a better feel for the weather.

Right now, my first choice is Portage Municipal, however if the weather is quetionable, obviously the closer I put in to Chicago, the "easier" the ride if the weather is not good.

I will follow-up next week and let everyone know what I ended up doing and what facility I used.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

If you go straight accross from Michigan City to Chicago it is 38 miles. Not sure how much longer it is to hug the shore line.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
You also have East Chicago and Hammond as options. Robert Pastrick Marina as East Chicago is where we hold the Chicago Poker Run, nice big wide ramp and parking shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hammond is my home port, and though it's the closest to downtown (appr. 14 miles), unless you get there REALLY early and plan to leave REALLY late, parking and the ramp are gonna be REALLY crowded.

I have to agree with Mike on this one, depending on the boat size Hammond and East Chicago would be my only choices. The way the weather looks right now I would want to be very close to the city from where I launch.........BZ
Old 08-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

BZ:

Thanks for your input. The more I think about it, the more I agree that the closer my rig is to Chicago the better should the weather turn.

I am thinking I am going to try the East Chicago Marina.

Out of curiousity, is there anyone that you know that I should ask for when I am at the Marina?

Thanks again. - Kimochi-ii
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kimochi-ii
BZ:

Thanks for your input. The more I think about it, the more I agree that the closer my rig is to Chicago the better should the weather turn.

I am thinking I am going to try the East Chicago Marina.

Out of curiousity, is there anyone that you know that I should ask for when I am at the Marina?

Thanks again. - Kimochi-ii
Nope just bring $30 to launch your boat for the day
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Weather changed. Looking like less than a foot for the weekend!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Weather changed. Looking like less than a foot for the weekend!
Yippie, lets hope it doesn't change again
Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Registered

Default Overnight Fees at East Chicago

I am planning to launch from East Chicago to attend this weekend's Air and Water Show in Chicago.

When I called to getg information about the launch, I was quoted a $20 launch fee and $30/night to park my rig.

Not having any previous knowledge of this marina, I was wondering if these are normal fees or put in place on busy weekends?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's normal. No gouging there.

Not sure what Hammond charges for overnight, but they charge $15 to launch...unless you have a triple-axle trailer...then they nail you for $30! I have NOTHING good to say about the Hammond Port Authority.

Enjoy your weekend...looks like its gonna be a good one. I MAY be out on Sunday...all red 35 Fountain...but I know BZ will be out there...look for the 42 in his avatar...it's called Purple Aces.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ
I have to agree with Mike on this one, depending on the boat size Hammond and East Chicago would be my only choices. The way the weather looks right now I would want to be very close to the city from where I launch.........BZ

Keeping in mind that BZ is usually the last one to get to his destination although he has the biggest boat in our group !!!

Quick Reply: Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.