Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana >

Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Notices

Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Heading to Chicago for the Air & Water Show Aug. 15 - 17.
Anyone have any suggestions/advice for a boat launch in far Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New Bufflo, MI. has been great for us.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

smdude:

Thanks for your input. Doing some investigation online, it looks like the New Bufflo marina is pretty nice. Do you happen to know how far it is across the lake to Chicago from New Bufflo?

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm thinking 50 minute run at about 45-50 MPH, straight across, done it in a small Searay a few years ago!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered

I think it is around 40-45 miles from New Buffalo. Michigan City is another 15 min by car and there ramps are OK, a little short but very usuable. Michigan City is 32 miles from the City.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The next ramp after Mich City is Portage Mun. and Doyne's Marina. Both are on Burns ditch and are in great shape this year.Exit SR 249 North off of I 80/94.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Default Thanks

Payton:

Thanks for the information on the Portage ramps. Looking at a chart, it looks like Burns "ditch" Waterway is quite shallow.
What are the water levels like this year. I would like to have 4ft. minimum to be safe.

Between the two ramps, Portage Municipal and Doyne's Marina, which one would you suggest.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kimochi-ii
Payton:

Thanks for the information on the Portage ramps. Looking at a chart, it looks like Burns "ditch" Waterway is quite shallow.
What are the water levels like this year. I would like to have 4ft. minimum to be safe.

Between the two ramps, Portage Municipal and Doyne's Marina, which one would you suggest.

Thanks again.
Portage is a better ramp and has alot more traffic, stay to the outside ramp closest to the building as the middle one is a little shallow. Doynes ramp is fine as well, use the ramp on the west side, it is more "rustic". The ditch has plenty of water, stay in the middle, lots of offshores and cruisers boat out of the ditch. I think its about 20-25 miles to the city
Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SoryI didn't see this sooner.

MM gave you the correct info. Both ramps are fine this year. Water is 9" above last year.There are several 34-42' offshore boats launch at both ramps.
Portage Muni. is nicer place, but when the weather is nice for small boats the parking lot fills up by noon. Then it all shuts down. Doyne's stays open regardless of how full it gets.
Portage has no current to deal with. Doyne's has constant current. I use Doynes all the time just because I leave myboat there. Loading can be tricky on a windy day, with my staggered engines.

Please, no powering on your trailer at either place. Your prop wash digs hole in the bottom, then when the water drops again the trailes will sit uneven.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You also have East Chicago and Hammond as options. Robert Pastrick Marina as East Chicago is where we hold the Chicago Poker Run, nice big wide ramp and parking shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hammond is my home port, and though it's the closest to downtown (appr. 14 miles), unless you get there REALLY early and plan to leave REALLY late, parking and the ramp are gonna be REALLY crowded.

Quick Reply: Launches in Southwest Michigan or Northern Indiana

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.