Notices

Toronto Harbour

Old 08-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toronto Harbour

I took my boat through Toronto Harbour today, in the Western gap and out the East side. After I did so, my buddy suggested that it was illegal, you need a special license to do so. I looked it up when I got home, and sure enough, you do. And it is not just an online test like the regular license, you have to go down and be tested in their boats, and pay $75.

My question for the members is: do you actually get the license? Or is it better to go without, and pay the fine (I assume just a fine) if they catch you? Do they check? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
I took my boat through Toronto Harbour today, in the Western gap and out the East side. After I did so, my buddy suggested that it was illegal, you need a special license to do so. I looked it up when I got home, and sure enough, you do. And it is not just an online test like the regular license, you have to go down and be tested in their boats, and pay $75.

My question for the members is: do you actually get the license? Or is it better to go without, and pay the fine (I assume just a fine) if they catch you? Do they check? Thanks.
I go thru a couple of times a year without problem. The worst that will happen is you will get pulled over and they will inform you of the license requirement. Just play dumb about it. They have told me that if you are an infrequent visitor, no problem but more than a few times a year you will need it. I have been stopped twice in the last 5 years and no tickets. If you keep your speed down, keep clear of the sailboats and just chug along you will be fine.
Bob
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Thanks Bob, that is what I was hoping to hear. My buddy was evidently a bartender for some of the island yacht clubs, and he said basically the same thing.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob is right. I did get my Harbour licence because I was stopped 3 times in a row. Funny how after I got the licence I've never been stopped again.
I can give you the info if you want but I have never heard of anyone being fined for it.
We cruise through TO almost every weekend.
There is a law from like 1930 something. Tax grab if you ask me.

Paul
Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Thanks Paul. What happens when they stop you, and you do not have the license? Do they fine or punish you? Or just tell you to get the license?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
Thanks Paul. What happens when they stop you, and you do not have the license? Do they fine or punish you? Or just tell you to get the license?
No fine , I think they use the licence as an excuse to check for Alcohol and a safety inspection . The good news is after passing a safety inspection the Police give you a sticker letting other Police know you have been inspected . The first time I had 3 5lb class BC fire extingushers . The law says you need a 10 lb . Second time I passed but the Police didn't have stickers . 3rd time was the charm . If you do pass you might have to ask for the sticker . And yes they just tell you to get the Licence that needs to be renewed every year .
Funny thing is this year I'm running a ( RV ) cruiser and have never been stopped yet . We will be at the Toronto Island Marina this weekend . Lots going on . Lobsterfest ,Q Stock and the Air Show . A little further west Burlington is hosting Rib Fest . Should be fun .

Paul
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Paul.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

I got my harbour licence in 1979 wrote my test right in the harbour masters chair and then he came out to watch me dock the boat a couple times. It was a pretty cool experience. I don,t know if you can still do it like that but it might be worth tryin. Go down in the middle of the week in the early morning.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine after being stopped a few times back in 92 or 93. Never been stopped since. Go figure.

I had to do the written at outer harbour marina and the on water with a cop in the boat out at Humber bay in my boat. Nice part was when the new lic for everyone came out, they just mailed me one because I was grandfathered due to my harbour lic.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered

Its a warning the first time, they know you after that and will get you. I have the Harbour Licence and never been stopped. You have go to the east end by the Leslie Street Spit and do the the test in a small boat with a 7.5 hp motor, then do the write test. Its not the hard but its a pain in ass.
Rudy

Quick Reply: Toronto Harbour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.