Notices

higgins/torch lake

Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stumps in Skegemog are not marked, basically the whole East end. The river is not deep, but very navigable, if you know where to go. Some of the stumps at the river into Skegemog are marked. The popo do have decibel meters and are not afraid to use them. The last couple years haven't been too bad with that, but dry exhaust will not fly.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:48 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have put a 31 formula and my Cig in at Skegmog and idled all the way to Torch, you come out right by the sand bar. The ramp was not busy at all, it seems like it was off of Route 72 ,it has been a few years ago.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PROWRENCH
The stumps in Skegemog are not marked, basically the whole East end. The river is not deep, but very navigable, if you know where to go. Some of the stumps at the river into Skegemog are marked. The popo do have decibel meters and are not afraid to use them. The last couple years haven't been too bad with that, but dry exhaust will not fly.

I have dry exhaust...
Old 03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by rws
We have put a 31 formula and my Cig in at Skegmog and idled all the way to Torch, you come out right by the sand bar. The ramp was not busy at all, it seems like it was off of Route 72 ,it has been a few years ago.
Yes, from M-72 you go north on county road 605 to Whitewater Park. The ramp is in Elk Lake but near Skegemog.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by garysol
By chance have you used the ramp at Alden? We are staying at a B&B right next to it and were planning to put in there. After visiting it this past week I dont think our truck and trailer could ever make the turn around. Do people just back down to it from the street?
Sorry, never used that ramp. Call the B&B and ask.

Last edited by Interceptor; 03-06-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Dewitt's is a nice Marina - it's on Clam, about a 1/4 mile or so east of where it meets Torch. Butch's Marina is just inside the Torch/Clam inlet, but it's kinda small and I don't know if their ramp can handle a bigger boat. Best thing is - you are half-way up Torch Lake and The Dockside is right there if you get hungry or thirsty.

By water you can travel Elk, Skegemog (open areas and stump-free channels), Torch, Clam and Lake Bellaire. Negotiating Skegemog is not that difficult; there are some guides that can help - I'll see if I can find my old chart and post one. Bellaire can be reached via Grass River; it's idle-only and it takes a little care as well - not real deep, but I've seen a few larger boats heading through. Bellaire gets you to the original Short's Brewery - well worth the trip (there's one in Elk Rapids as well).

Alden is a great little village; the bar there is a favorite. The girls will love the shopping/browsing.

The Chain O' Lakes here is one of the nicest places I've ever been - and I've been coming up here since 1962. Honestly - hasn't changed that much, and that's what makes it so special. Also, it's a regular stop when I head up to check out Boyne Thunder in mid-July.

The Dockside on Torch - at Clam River

Torch Lake sign in Alden

Dockage at Alden

Beach shack at Clam River, next to The Dockside
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
Bellaire can be reached via Grass River; it's idle-only and it takes a little care as well - not real deep, but I've seen a few larger boats heading through. Bellaire gets you to the original Short's Brewery
Is there public dockage near Shorts??
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those looking to keep your boat in the water, DeWitt Marine is your only option. Torch River Marine no longer does transient slips and the public docks aren't for over night parking. Dockside does not allow over night slipping either. In order to use DeWitt's ramp you have to pay for a slip there. If you want to launch each day you can launch in five spots: 1- the bridge launch on the SW side of the lake by the sandbar (short dock and river current makes it difficult to launch anything 30' and over). 2- Luhrs Landing which is down the torch river a little bit on the west side (tight fit backing in but I've seen 43 black thunders launch here, parking not an issue, $10 per axle all the time). 3- DNR launch on torch river down a little ways on the east side (back all the way out to the river due to stumps outside the docking channel). 4- Public launch on the NW side of the lake (parking may be an issue but can launch up to 35' ft boat). 5- Butch's on Clam River, which is on the south side across from the Dockside (I've seen up to 38' launched here, but the dock is short so a man in the water helping is nice. It's a small cove with slips so wind isn't normally an issue). Expect to pay a fee per day to launch here on holidays. Parking is usually not an issue, use the side of the road.

There are people that anchor and sleep on the sandbar, sometimes even with fire pits out. It's a lot of fun BUT (goes without saying but always seem to have to remind people) PLEASE be respectful and pick up your trash/anyone else's trash that decides to be an @sshole. Every year there are a dedicated group of people that spend there mornings cleaning up the sandbar and it's embarrassing how much makes it into the water. Cigarettes, bottle caps, bottles, cans, sandwich bags, you name it. The locals can be very vocal about disrespect to the lake and rightfully so. We dont need our category of the sport taking any more black eyes.

Law Enforcement is not bad here (I don't care what anyone says). In 18 years boating on Torch, I have NEVER been pulled over or sound checked and that's with 525s and also blown 540s... I use my silent choice when they are around, I wave, and overall I er on the side of caution around them. If you dont have silent choice cut to one motor if the sheriff is around, they have been known to sound test.

I'm up there 5 or 6 times a year and always at the sandbar for most of the days so if you see me I'll have cold beer and good times ready.

Keep the sticks forward!
Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garysol
Is there public dockage near Shorts??
There is a small dock but you will be hard pressed to get to it or dock on it with anything over a 24ft boat.

Elk-Skegamog-Torch-Clam-Lake Bellaire are all connected and accessible, but I wouldn't go past Clam Lake into the Grass River in a 28' boat or larger.

here is a small map showing the only docking available for shorts. It's public docking and not meant for overnights.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ POWERPLAY

There is a small dock but you will be hard pressed to get to it or dock on it with anything over a 24ft boat.

Elk-Skegamog-Torch-Clam-Lake Bellaire are all connected and accessible, but I wouldn't go past Clam Lake into the Grass River in a 28' boat or larger.

here is a small map showing the only docking available for shorts. It's public docking and not meant for overnights.

Excellent info! Thank You. We will be in a 22ft BUT I do value my prop. Maybe with the high water this year I will give it a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.