Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
cops doing there best to kill hotboat on Muskegon river >

cops doing there best to kill hotboat on Muskegon river

Notices

cops doing there best to kill hotboat on Muskegon river

Old 01-01-2023, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I went for years and and it ended for a group of us in 2019. Friday we ran up and beached at the sandbar and hung out and had a few drinks and BS'ed with a couple of the sheriffs for about 3 hours. Hell, I even have a pic still of me having a drink on their law boat and seem to be decent guys till the same 2 came up in the cove at Bower and told the 3 of us that we couldn't launch and had to get back on the trailer cause loud exhaust. We honestly thought he was joking cause it was the same guys as the day prior so we fired up. There were super pissed and obviously not joking. He proceeded to test my buddies cat "Rock Star" and was legal with one engine and us other 2 failed. They were Mecosta officers and informed us is we wanted to run we would have to go to Newaygo county cause they aren't as strict so my buddy towed me to county line on one engine and we played. I said this is it, Im done with Hot Boat and made my annual trip to Cumberland for the poker run which is the same weekend and that's been 3 years running and wont miss it. Oh fwiw, a week after I got home from Hot Boat that weekend i had a ticket in the mail for disturbance cause we were to loud in the camp ground but never warned. B**ch is, its an appearance ticket so had to drive all the way to Big Rapids to go to court to pay it!! Im done
Old 01-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow what a bunch of BS I'm sure the cops and there leaders all voted for Whitmer they will try and and make it electric only soon because electricity and water get along so well lol .
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (09-15-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Just curious if there are signs or something posted to let one know not to exceed 55 mph? If so then....cops, as much as they suck, are in the right. If not, I don't see how any tickets could ever hold up in court. Has to be more to this story...
Michigan has had a speed limit on all inland lakes and within 1/2 mile or mile of shoreline on all great lakes of 55 mph for years. It has rarely EVER been enforced. Now on the muskegun river during this event pigs hiding in bushes/camouflage with radar guns, giving even stock boats tickets for going 58,60, in a 55 , fully retarded..
Padraig (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Michigan has had a speed limit on all inland lakes and within 1/2 mile or mile of shoreline on all great lakes of 55 mph for years. It has rarely EVER been enforced. Now on the Muskegon river during this event pigs hiding in bushes/camouflage with radar guns, giving even stock boats tickets for going 58,60, in a 55 , fully retarded..
I believe it's a mile offshore, but there is also a "slow/no wake" law within 100' from shore, moored boats, docks, rafts, etc...which can be impossible up there in some spots, especially if there's boat traffic.

I agree with you... camo'd up and hiding is nothing but a money grab and it's BS. If they're trying to promote responsible operation, obvious police presence is much more effective than hiding and ambushing people. People need to start telling the merchants and chamber of commerce they won't be back.

Several years ago there was an absolute asshat marine patrol Rambo wannabe who would hide under the M20 bridge and pull people over in the no wake zone in front of RiverRidge...the guy had no business operating a boat as he had no control over his own watercraft & I know of several people who had to fend him off or risk damage to their own boats. Several people called the local merchants and the chamber of commerce up in Big Rapids and said they were done visiting (and spending money)...that seemed to do the trick because as far as I know that officer was never back.

I started boating up there with my parents and grand parents as a kid in the late 60's...way, way, before "Hot Boat" was called "Hot Boat"...as someone said earlier, it's no longer "Hot Boat" it's the Hardy Party and has changed from a weekend with some very legitimate hot rods at the sand bar to an outta control drunken party. The early days I remember almost no drinking was done during the day...the rocket fuel didn't come out until the boats were on the trailer...nobody sane wants to pedal a v-drive flat or blow the tail loose on a hydro after they've been drinking and it was almost impossible - unless you were driving like an idiot - to get a ticket.

The 20% who brought an out of control Mardi Gras to the river killed it for the rest...I hate to put it this way, but the reality is at some point it simply becomes about the money; when the cost of policing due to complaints, fights, injuries, and accidents exceeds the revenue from tourist dollars, it's going to get squashed.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than a beautiful day on the water and a few adult beverages, but I live 20 mins from the dam and haven't been up there on a weekend in years because I got tired of literally dodging drunks. Our kids are grown and we quit doing Hot Boat when they were little because it had gotten a long way from family friendly. Tuned up, rowdy, and having a good time are cool; but sloppy, falling down drunk, pissing in people's lawns, and screwing on the decks of boats is going to generate complaints followed by law enforcement. The boat cops I know, and the vast majority I've met on the water, have been good guys with a tough job...but in that environment, dealing with drunken idiots, even the good ones eventually run out of patience and they're outnumbered so when they bring in the reinforcements to handle the crowd, you get all of them, not just the good ones...

Unfortunately, the dam may be on short time anyway. There are several environmental groups who want hydro dams removed and rivers reverted back to their natural state & I heard Consumers energy claims they are losing in excess of $100 million annually operating the dams. Consumers Energy has floated talks of selling the dams or retiring them altogether, but they currently have plans to begin repairs on the dam after the Nov. '25 drawdown. I believe the repairs are a multi-year project, and will likely make the river un-navigable to anything but fishing boats until it's completed..

Apologies, I don't mean to sound like a cranky old guy, but I guess I am a bit bitter over the whole out of control situation up there... Ever see those really stupid warning signs like "Don't eat the big white mint" in the urinal and just know that some idiot made that sign necessary ? I can't stand cops who were obviously stuffed in their locker in high school, and now get their rocks off exerting the power their badge gives them to get even with the world. However, as mad as I am with those cops, I'm also mad at the idiots whose behavior made the bad cops necessary.

Hardy is in my backyard,. 60mph is an easy, 1 handed cruise speed in my river boat. I can't enjoy a beer and rumble down the river without constantly looking over my shoulder for Johnny Law because some idiots kept eating the mint.

Cheers and have a happy and safe holiday.

d

bbender785 (07-07-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 04:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

Very well said slippery.....I am not that old and even in the 6 years I have been going it has really turned me off....great time for sure but no way I would try to get even remotely close to shore in "party cove" Had 2 buddies get their boats completely trashed due to stupid people and I don't want to go to prison for killing someone that hurt my boat hahaha

I have a feeling regardless of the dam situation this event will either come to an end or severely drop in size due to the police presence...maybe after that in a few years it might get back to it's roots of cool go fast stuff instead of every drunk in their pontoon and bayliner smashing through the rest of the boats...
Old 05-26-2023, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

"Had 2 buddies get their boats completely trashed due to stupid people and I don't want to go to prison for killing someone that hurt my boat hahaha"

+1

Our 24 is capped, IE no rub rail and glass all the way around, it makes her heavier and stiffer than a rub rail boat and (I think) it looks cool as hell.

However, it's not practical, and if it gets "bonked" the repair is much more involved. I get very anti social when other boats crowd us....it's definitely an example of "it was a good idea at the time, but I may not have thought that one all the way through"

Here's a pic up at the sandbar and another where I tried to show the cap.

RSCHAP1 (09-18-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

25mph down here
Old 05-31-2023, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Slippery
I believe it's a mile offshore, but there is also a "slow/no wake" law within 100' from shore, moored boats, docks, rafts, etc...which can be impossible up there in some spots, especially if there's boat traffic.

I agree with you... camo'd up and hiding is nothing but a money grab and it's BS. If they're trying to promote responsible operation, obvious police presence is much more effective than hiding and ambushing people. People need to start telling the merchants and chamber of commerce they won't be back.

Several years ago there was an absolute asshat marine patrol Rambo wannabe who would hide under the M20 bridge and pull people over in the no wake zone in front of RiverRidge...the guy had no business operating a boat as he had no control over his own watercraft & I know of several people who had to fend him off or risk damage to their own boats. Several people called the local merchants and the chamber of commerce up in Big Rapids and said they were done visiting (and spending money)...that seemed to do the trick because as far as I know that officer was never back.

I started boating up there with my parents and grand parents as a kid in the late 60's...way, way, before "Hot Boat" was called "Hot Boat"...as someone said earlier, it's no longer "Hot Boat" it's the Hardy Party and has changed from a weekend with some very legitimate hot rods at the sand bar to an outta control drunken party. The early days I remember almost no drinking was done during the day...the rocket fuel didn't come out until the boats were on the trailer...nobody sane wants to pedal a v-drive flat or blow the tail loose on a hydro after they've been drinking and it was almost impossible - unless you were driving like an idiot - to get a ticket.

The 20% who brought an out of control Mardi Gras to the river killed it for the rest...I hate to put it this way, but the reality is at some point it simply becomes about the money; when the cost of policing due to complaints, fights, injuries, and accidents exceeds the revenue from tourist dollars, it's going to get squashed.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing better than a beautiful day on the water and a few adult beverages, but I live 20 mins from the dam and haven't been up there on a weekend in years because I got tired of literally dodging drunks. Our kids are grown and we quit doing Hot Boat when they were little because it had gotten a long way from family friendly. Tuned up, rowdy, and having a good time are cool; but sloppy, falling down drunk, pissing in people's lawns, and screwing on the decks of boats is going to generate complaints followed by law enforcement. The boat cops I know, and the vast majority I've met on the water, have been good guys with a tough job...but in that environment, dealing with drunken idiots, even the good ones eventually run out of patience and they're outnumbered so when they bring in the reinforcements to handle the crowd, you get all of them, not just the good ones...

Unfortunately, the dam may be on short time anyway. There are several environmental groups who want hydro dams removed and rivers reverted back to their natural state & I heard Consumers energy claims they are losing in excess of $100 million annually operating the dams. Consumers Energy has floated talks of selling the dams or retiring them altogether, but they currently have plans to begin repairs on the dam after the Nov. '25 drawdown. I believe the repairs are a multi-year project, and will likely make the river un-navigable to anything but fishing boats until it's completed..

Apologies, I don't mean to sound like a cranky old guy, but I guess I am a bit bitter over the whole out of control situation up there... Ever see those really stupid warning signs like "Don't eat the big white mint" in the urinal and just know that some idiot made that sign necessary ? I can't stand cops who were obviously stuffed in their locker in high school, and now get their rocks off exerting the power their badge gives them to get even with the world. However, as mad as I am with those cops, I'm also mad at the idiots whose behavior made the bad cops necessary.

Hardy is in my backyard,. 60mph is an easy, 1 handed cruise speed in my river boat. I can't enjoy a beer and rumble down the river without constantly looking over my shoulder for Johnny Law because some idiots kept eating the mint.

Cheers and have a happy and safe holiday.

d
Oh I agree, cops hiding in camo on land radioing ahead with radar guns to pull over someone going 60 mph in a 55 but yet a pontoon will drive by thats clearly overloaded with people sitting on front, legs in water, driver zig zagging drunk off his ass, makes no sense!
Old 07-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my inlaws live on the river, so wife and i have been going to hotboat 15'ish years, and it's certainly evolved into more of a sloppy-drunk redneck pontoon derby. we've been fortunate to end up with good neighbors almost every year, but it's still a stressful day staying on high-alert for idiots and the generally oblivious, ha.
articfriends (10-01-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Oh I agree, cops hiding in camo on land radioing ahead with radar guns to pull over someone going 60 mph in a 55 but yet a pontoon will drive by thats clearly overloaded with people sitting on front, legs in water, driver zig zagging drunk off his ass, makes no sense!
Yep.
articfriends (10-01-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.