388's with Arenson's

Notices

388's with Arenson's

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 394 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 388's with Arneson's

What are the pros and cons of having a 388 with Arnesons's on the transom? I've heard that if you want to run over 100MPH, you need to have the hull bottom reworked?
Thanks,
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 02-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean,

The pro of having an Arneson Drive is that it is a stronger drive than a Bravo XR. However the negative is that it is costly to install as the motors have to be moved. The Arneson ASD 7 drive is a nice conversion on Bravo drives.

If you intend on putting big power into a Slingshot, the boat bottom must be modified, as it can only be done on late model boats. The 388 was designed for motors between 500 and 600 hp motors. In the meantime, our 39 Rockit was designed for 700 hp and up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call us at 631-208-2933. Hope this helps you out a bit!

Sincerely,
Paul
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by HustlerTech
Dean,

The pro of having an Arneson Drive is that it is a stronger drive than a Bravo XR. However the negative is that it is costly to install as the motors have to be moved. The Arneson ASD 7 drive is a nice conversion on Bravo drives.

If you intend on putting big power into a Slingshot, the boat bottom must be modified, as it can only be done on late model boats. The 388 was designed for motors between 500 and 600 hp motors. In the meantime, our 39 Rockit was designed for 700 hp and up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call us at 631-208-2933. Hope this helps you out a bit!

Sincerely,
Paul
Paul,
Thanks for the info, I'll try to give you a call today with some Q's I have.
Dean
Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
What are the pros and cons of having a 388 with Arnesons's on the transom? I've heard that if you want to run over 100MPH, you need to have the hull bottom reworked?
Thanks,
Dean
call Rolf at Proroc Marine in Brick. A mutual friend of ours had a 38 w Arnesons than ran over 100 and Rolf was directly involved w the build n rigging of this boat.
732-477-7039
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I've understood even without the modified strakes the Arnesons helped settle the boat boat down. The 388 seems to really like the Arneson's and of you do the strake mod it should be a great boat!!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hull changes needed are due to the hull not the drive. Removal of some of the rear strakes is what has to take place in order to reduce some of the chine walking that occurs on the 388's when the boats go over 100 mph.

The early 388's had the engine stringers bedded into the strakes where as the newer ones have the stakes filled and the stringers set on top of those making it easier to remove the strakes. I've had customers with both generations of boats, as I have a customer in NY that claims to have Sling Shot hull #1 and he just ground the strakes down and glassed over them and finished the bottom off with no problems.

It takes butt loads more hp to crack 100 with Bravo's than it does with Arnesons and the handling with the Arnesons is far far better starting with the docking up to the rough water handling, the Arneson boat out performs.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,022 Likes on 421 Posts

Rik

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Love Arnesons ever since they were introduced back in late 70s.

If half the boats on here had then there would be half the threads on this site from drive problems.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
The hull changes needed are due to the hull not the drive. Removal of some of the rear strakes is what has to take place in order to reduce some of the chine walking that occurs on the 388's when the boats go over 100 mph.

The early 388's had the engine stringers bedded into the strakes where as the newer ones have the stakes filled and the stringers set on top of those making it easier to remove the strakes. I've had customers with both generations of boats, as I have a customer in NY that claims to have Sling Shot hull #1 and he just ground the strakes down and glassed over them and finished the bottom off with no problems.

It takes butt loads more hp to crack 100 with Bravo's than it does with Arnesons and the handling with the Arnesons is far far better starting with the docking up to the rough water handling, the Arneson boat out performs.

We personally drive/drove two Slingshots with Arnesons that run close to 100. They were factory made with the modified strakes. Rik is right, the strake issue has nothing to do with the drive but with the hull which was designed for lower hp engines.

The Arneson drive is a great drive and together with the hull a wonderfull package. I sold a third Slingshot with Arnesons to the Caribbean, the customer put more than 300 troublefree hours on engine and drive ( Ilmor/Arneson) in more than bumby sea.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Rik

Rik,
I agree, didn't mean to imply that it was it was the Arnesons that caused the need for the mod. I am a true believer in your drives, as I have watched Mystic Powerboats use your drive, (or BPMS) on just about all of their boats.
Thanks for the info.
Dean
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned "Black Cloud". That boat was a very early (1997/1998?) Slingshot with Arnesons. Don't know what the Schott brothers did to the bottom,if anything, but it seemed to have absolutely no problem blowing by the 100 mile/hour mark. For what it's worth....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.