388 hustler engine hatch opens slow

Notices

388 hustler engine hatch opens slow

Old 09-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 388 hustler engine hatch opens slow

does anybody else have this prob. if battery is low you have to help it up ,the motor seems weak. take a log time goung up. factory said to run 10 gage wire to it might help.
just wondering if its just me?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:23 PM
bobby daniels

Thumbs up

ROB , MY NEW BOATS (388) IS SLOW ALSO ,10 GA. WIRE WOULD GIVE IT MORE AMPS BUT THE FACTORY SHOULD HAVE BUT THE RIGHT SIZE ON TO BEGIN WITH I FEEL SO I ORDERED A NEW ONE JUST FOR KICKS ,ITS A BIG HATCH FOR ONE CYLINDER ????????
ON ANOTHER SUBJECT YOU NEED 26 PITCH PROPS WITH THE 1:3 GEARS THATS WHAT MY 2002 HAS AS THE GUY WAS PUTTING ON PROCHARERS AND DIDN'T ,HECK IT RUNS WITH ONE PERSON AND 1/2 FUEL 88 TO 89 ON G P S WITH BRAVO ONE 26'S AND 1.36
GOOD LUCK !!!
I'VE MESSED WITH ALOT OF 388'S OVER THE YEARS AT A DEALER AND A FREINDS AND MY OWN IF I CAN HELP LET ME KNOW ,I OWN 3 DIFFERENT BOATS ((( HOLES IN THE WATER ))))

ROB I WENT BACK AND SAW YOUR ONLY TURNING 5300 WITH 24'S I GUESS I GAVE YOU BAD ADVISE YOU NEED TO BE 5600 OR SO !
ARE YOU RUNNING BRAVO 1'S ?? HAVE YOU LEAK TESTED THE MOTORS FOR COMPRESSION AND HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT THE CRANKING COMPRESSION IS ? I'M CURIOUS AS TO WHY ITS NOT RUNNING UP TO PAR ????????

Last edited by bobby daniels; 09-13-2002 at 12:33 PM.

Old 09-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

it has b maxs with 1.30 gears. i dont think it would run with the 26s prob not get up to 5000rpm? have not ck ed any compresion or leak down yet. i think the b max slowed it down some. have not tryed to run on a light load yet just been riding so far this summer. full tank of water ,vac u flush head and mim of half tank gas.water here is always flat.as far as what in motors when i tear down i will find out the truth.as per what the prev,owner told me. the factory test report was 86.7. i know this was a verry lite load and cold day with xr and 30 pitch at 5250, it said . i did test drive a few others that were faster. i was trying to find the newest and best condition one at that time and it cam with the b maxs also.so should not have any drive prob when move up in power.

Old 09-13-2002, 01:57 PM
bobby daniels

YOUR RIGHT ROB THOSE B-MAXS WILL HOLD THE POWER AND FROM EXPERANCE THEY ARE ALITTLE SLOWER ,BUT WITH SOME HUFFERS IT SHOULD FLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 09-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

bobby i am use to the roots style blower, i made a lot of power with them in my old boat, the tourqe got the drives though, but with the efi cant deside to go with the pro charger or the new style whipple. the pro charger will prob be cheaper. they had whipple on this boat before and had trouble getting them to run and took them off.. i think the whipple will prob make a little more power mainly down low. jim at arizona speed and marine speaks highly of the vortech, he sells all 3. saying the procharger is in last.procharger would prob. be easy on parts doesent build boost untill late in rpm.
bobby did the new motor help?
i caled the factory the unit that comes on it is a 500 pd unit, 24 inch lift. at full load 500lb should take 24-30 seconds. bill at hustler said the hatch is around 250-300 pounds? that its prob the wire size. its going to be fun running the new wires thru the pipe.

is your boat a poker run or full cabin?

Old 09-13-2002, 07:21 PM
bobby daniels

Thumbs up

ROB ,I TYPED A LONG THREAD WITH INFO TO HELP AND IT GOT LOST I'LL START AGAIN ,KSVKHHSFHSHG
YES THE MOTOR FIXED MY PROBLEM ,BUT RUN A JUMPER TO THE MOTOR AND CHECKK YOURS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE .
THE HEAVY WIRE IS A BAND AID FOR A MOTOR THAT IS WORN
LIKE GIVING MORE CURRENT TO YOUR CAR LIGHT THEY GET BRIGHTER !
MY BOAT IS FULL CABIN
VORTEC AND PROCHARGER ARE THE SAME IN OPERATION HALF A TURBO SO THE BOTH ACT THE SAME !! THE WHIPPLE WILL HIDE FROM THEM BOTTOM END AND EQUAL ON TOP OR AT LEAST THATS MY SUCCESS SO FAR WITH MY TRIES ,AND MY FREINDS
THE E F I WILL BE THE MATAINCE NIGHTMARE WITH A BLOWER
,,WHIPPLE 3.3LITER AND ONE 4500 HOLLEY IS THE WAY TO GO
KEEP ME POSTED AND GREAT LUCK TO YOU

Last edited by bobby daniels; 09-13-2002 at 07:23 PM.