marina insurance question?

Notices

marina insurance question?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marina insurance question?

i have an 2003 cig top gun w/ 525's and do not really want insurance . however my marina in florida requires it . how do i satisfy them??? any help is appeciated
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Registered

Stay in N.J without insurance... seriously that will satisfy the marina down here, along with all the other boaters you plan to run with and be next to !!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner
Stay in N.J without insurance... seriously that will satisfy the marina down here, along with all the other boaters you plan to run with and be next to !!!!
No chit.......No insurance, let me get a "beater" boat and let you smack into it at the dock. I don't know what kind of house and car you have but after the lawyers are finished I'll be driving your car to vacation in YOUR house!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigarette275
i have an 2003 cig top gun w/ 525's and do not really want insurance . however my marina in florida requires it . how do i satisfy them??? any help is appeciated
Are you insane?! (that is me being polite)

Just get liability at the VERY VERY Least. You are nuts to drive that boat without insurance. The 3-5k a year premium is way offset by the potential risk transfer that could be required. Remember that the insurance company doesn't just pay the limits you buy, they also pay for your defense.

One of our companies just paid 100K to fight a bogus 20/40/10 auto liability claim, attorneys are not cheap.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year when you posted this same question, you saif you"didn't believe in insurance". I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you have a philosophical problem about the mutual sharing of risk or do you just not like paying the bill?

I don't believe anyone can compel you to purchase casualty insurance for property that you are the clear and sole owner of. Liability insurance is different. My state provides some exceptions to liability in the form of the posting of a financial responsibility bond. If you're prepared to place several million dollars in a trust to cover whatever damage you might do to someone else, I don't believe anyone would have any basis for criticizing you.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an umbrella liability policy. It worked for my marina. I have no specific policy on the boat. Ask your homeowners insurance co or call around for a quote. Also be sure that the marina is liable for any damage they cause, like if they drop your boat, or sink it while launcing it. They are usually not liable for acts of nature.

3-5k woudl be cheap. but 12 is farking unreasonable for a boat with stock power for someone with no speeding tickets and no accident history.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered

Do me a favor and leave the boat in Florida. I don't want to be any near you.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah... get insurance, because the alternative could be a hugh problem. You could lose everything.

Last edited by kjm5125; 10-03-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

My marina also requires that I have insuarance, which is not a problem, since the bank of course requires it as well. Still not a problem since I wouldn't go without since I don't have a gzillion $$$$$ and lawyers on retainer.

Heck, you don't even need to run into my boat. Just let me have a ride. I'll fall down and injure my back and never have to work again.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
Do me a favor and leave the boat in Florida. I don't want to be any near you.
better yet leave it on the trailer, wouldnt want any of my friends in FLA to suffer either