Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Another unhappy progressive customer... >

Another unhappy progressive customer...

Notices

Another unhappy progressive customer...

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another unhappy progressive customer...

*THIS WAS NOT MY BOAT, just posting for a friend and friendly warning to my OSO brothas and sistas!*

This is a buddy of mine and he just wants to warn everyone about Progressive. There are numerous people who have had the same issue. If anyone has fought and one let me know what steps he should take. Worth taking them to court???

So as some of you seen a while back my boat was awaiting inspection from Progressive after I had hit something a while back and a month and a half later found out my hull had a crack under the drive. The boat sat in the water for over a month with a crack in it and I found it almost sunk Labor day weekend and had it pulled out and discovered the crack. So Progressive states that the transom was weak before the incident and denies my claim leaving me with a cracked hull needing to be fixed not to mention the Engine parts and trim pump etc that also got soaked and will need to be replaced next year. So claim denied because of pre-existing damage, this is comical because Progressive doesn’t require a survey nor pictures. When I originally signed up I asked and they said they needed nothing but pictures couldn’t hurt. Well I had pictures of the boat with no damage but guess what, it didn’t help. So an Insurance company does not require a survey but then denies you because you supposedly had damage that you didn’t know about and never had accessed. So please if you guys want to pay for insurance only to realize you don’t really have insurance please choose PROGRESSIVE!! I would like to thank the fine Progressive team that helped me out; Erik Stamps my claims rep, Mike Zarney his boss, and at the top Shimay.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 11-15-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All Progressive field adjusters are now being issued these...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Steve_H

file a complaint with your state insurance commisioner. puts the heat on them to settle.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

So the boat has been taking on water due to the crack that they claim was pre-existing.......if the boat wasn't taking on water before the accident it would seem pretty obvious that the crack was caused BY the accident.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

and BTW: I dropped them quite some time ago because of the mess a buddy went through with them.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

why did it take you a month to notice your boat was sinking... and are you saying you hit something hard enough to cause this, yet you didn't think it was hard enough to pull it out and have a look ?... just parked it for a month and drove home ?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered

The state board sounds like the best route, agree some heat needs to be put on them.

The whole month thing...the boat is in a slip. He checked out the boat as much as possible and everything seemed to be in order, no visible leaks, etc. In hindsight ya he should have had it looked at but does anyone take it in after hitting something if no damage is seen???
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me a year and they finally paid the claim. At one time they offered to help me out and pay 1/2. Best bet is to start with the State Comm. Document every name you speak with and ask for their bosses name. After you get to the top of the ladder, call him everyday to ask when they are going to pay the claim. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. If they survey the boat ask for all paperwork. Find a friendly insurance adjuster to help you write the letter to the state sighting as many bad faith claims as you can think of. Just don't give up!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

While my claim with Progressive was small, (someone stole my 5 month old aluminum trailer, I had a check in about 7 days, so I can not complain about customer service. They didn't even 'itch' about the paid storage yard not having any better security than a 6 foot fence, and gate that stays open unsupervised 12 hours a day. Why did I put the new trailer there? Because my old steel trailer had been stored there for 3 years with no problems, and it was not the only aluminum trailer in the yard, but perhaps the biggest. If I hit something that is big enough for me to feel/hear it, my boat is going up in the air to check and document, just for my piece of mind. A boat does not want to float, it wants to be on the bottom as that is it's most equilibrium state, unless it is filled with foam and is not sinkable. If you think dealing with insurance companies is bad about cars and boats, just check out what they are doing to the poor folks in the Gulf Coast/Florida.. If you have flood insurance with one company and then wind damage coverage with another company,,, they both just stand there pointing at the other guy!. Hope your friend gets his repairs covered!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your friends troubles. How old is the boat?

I just had a claim settled with Progressive. They were fantstic. I had hit something underwater hard enough to crack my gimble. I was turning pulling away from a dock at the time of impact. Os visual ispection all I saw was a bent prop so I continued on my way. About 10 miles out one drive falls off the boat. after idling in Ihad my mechanic inspect and he said to call Ins. co.. Progressive paid to have both drives disassembled just to inspect. The ended up replacing both drives and gimbles. This is on a 16 year old boat that does compare to a 5 year old boat in hours and condition. The adjuster called at least once a week to check/report progress of repairs. I could not have asked for better service.

Quick Reply: Another unhappy progressive customer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.