Notices

registration

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default registration

I registered my current boat in NC, where i did not have to pay any sales tax, just the 60$ reg fee and out the door...... If i reg my boat in a sales taxing state do i now need to pay sales tax?

also what about documenting a boat, does anyone know the ins and outs of that?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have the receipt showing you paid sales tax when you purchased it you shouldnt have to pay tax again
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
if you have the receipt showing you paid sales tax when you purchased it you shouldnt have to pay tax again
Ditto

You usually have to pay sales tax when you title the boat. Did they title it where you registered it? Do they have title laws where you titled it?

I just did the same thing in OK when I titled and registered the boat. BUT the boat actually stays in OK, and we've got a lakehouse in OK. The lake is on the border so its all legit. Cost me $150.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
Ialso what about documenting a boat, does anyone know the ins and outs of that?
In VA, you can avoid paying sales tax by documenting with the USCG. You do pay sales tax if you register with the state Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries. So it makes sense to go the documenting route if your boat will qualify. Plus, you don't have to put the fugly numbers on the bow.

I've gone that route with this boat and my previous one.

And renewing my documentation only costs me a stamp each year. Not so with VA DGIF.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
you can avoid paying sales tax by documenting with the USCG. .
Unless you get caught.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sales tax

I bought a boat in N.Y. brought it to Ma. documented for note, 3 yrs. later I got a TAX bill from Ma. DOR. Tax+penalty+interest= HUGE $$$$. I paid tax and told Dor to stick it for penelty+interest. Case closed!!!! HIGH LIFE
Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Unless you get caught.
Poorly worded. I should have said we are given the OPTION of registering with VA DGIF or USCG.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

North Carolina does not have a sales tax but they do have a "use" tax which is 3% of purchase price with a max of $1500.00. If you paid sales tax in another state it will be credited against the use tax. If you purchased a boat from an individual not in the business of selling boats you are exempt from the tax. NC sent me a bill 3 yrs after the fact of registering a boat with all kinds of penalties and interest. I had to prove that I purchased the boat from an individual to aviod paying. You do not have to register a documented boat in NC.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Similar situation in south carolina,300.00 max on registration but you pay personal property tax every year.In new york it was 8.75 per dollar and that was it but if you buy and sell hold on tight!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Poorly worded. I should have said we are given the OPTION of registering with VA DGIF or USCG.
Are you saying that Virginia will allow a resident to avoid their sales taxes if they register their vessel with the Coast Guard? I don't have knowledge about Virginia specifically but most states are going the other way- they're looking actively and aggressively for people who are using these sorts of tactics to avoid taxation.

Thjis was a big topic of discussion about a year ago and virtually everyone told the same story... "used to, no more".

Quick Reply: registration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.