Notices

Salvage tow got me

Old 08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild Thunder, was there anyway a friendly boater may have been able to throw you a line and yank you off? Hard to imagine you could get stuck so hard in the sand.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time spent doesn't matter in a salvage. But it does factor in. There is a ten-criteria test and each runs in ranking from 1 to 10. If the salvage operation ranks in one's and two's and the total is 15, they're entitled to 15% of the value as a salvor's fee. If it's 90, well, you get the picture. There's no provision for the setting of an arbitrary figure. But they can try and you can fall for it and pay it.

In reading the Seatow and TowBoat US policies, soft ungroundings are clearly covered. There's a test based on the time & effort required to free the vessel at high tide.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Mild Thunder, was there anyway a friendly boater may have been able to throw you a line and yank you off? Hard to imagine you could get stuck so hard in the sand.

Wouldnt have been a problem if the winds didnt kick up from the north, causing rollers washing up on the beach. Once I the props hit the sand, the waves just spun the nose around, and i was a sitting duck. Didnt help I had 200+ gallons of fuel onboard either.

Baddogz228, another oso member and buddy, was there. He and his crew of about 6 guys and myself tried to free the boat, but the waves coming in were too much. Just kept knocking us back in to the sandbar. Hooked a line to his stern, but between the waves, and shallow waters, he was either going to rip off a cleat, or damage his props/impellers trying to help, and i didnt want that. So after a couple trys, i told him to head back, didnt want to see his 4th of july spent stuck sitting next to me on the sandbar!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's why..

I record every phone call like this. It's LEGAL to record two party conversations in EVERY state in the union. Further, it's admissible in court as well. I know it doesn't help now, but when he said this would be over, it WOULD be over if you had a recording of that conversation.

Sucks, they are the sickest scum on the earth...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow_ICC_OK
I record every phone call like this. It's LEGAL to record two party conversations in EVERY state in the union. Further, it's admissible in court as well. I know it doesn't help now, but when he said this would be over, it WOULD be over if you had a recording of that conversation.

Sucks, they are the sickest scum on the earth...
You can only record the conversation if you clearly advise any and all parties participating in the call that they are being recorded. For it to have much credence in a legal proceeding you would have to have each party clearly identify themselves. And even then, it's not like a deposition where an officer of the court is taking a sworn statement that's being transcribed. It's probative value is less significant.

I can't imagine anyone agreeing to being recorded in the first place. If I'm involved in a discussion that's going that direction, we're at or even past time for the involvement of an attorney.