Notices

Cat Insurance - Enough is Enough!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
The difference is JT has not developed a curriculum and put in place a recognized training program working with insurance companies. I have the utmost respect for JT, his skill and his contributions to the sport. But telling an underwriter that you have spent time with the Top Throttle Man in the world does not mean anything from an underwriting point of view. Maybe another approach would be to require certification/license for operating a HP cat.
skillset is not the issue... in my instance --- actually, quite the opposite. not to say too much, but i received a phone call from 'Elton Porter' a couple years ago when i had my 100+ MPH cigarette. 'they' were trying to get me over to them, from Total Dollar.... commenting about wanting the exposure etc.. of me doing so many poker runs etc... 'they' said. they couldn't match rate-to-coverage, so i stayed with TD --- who are great guys and ALWAYS did what they said (that would be John Posey and Uni-baller).

when i got my cat, EP was/is the best program in town (even with the issue of integrity i am dealing with). moreover, i have known and been friends with 'them' for 10+ years, which makes me even more upset with the lack of integrity and finite response to my 'reminder' re: the reduction in premium conversation.

joe

ps: your post on SOS displayed a great level of 'supposition.' regarding, 'taking the class.' you have no idea!!!! but, that said, on another note, you are right... it would be a great idea for everyone to be required to take, and pass, a driving class in a boat similar to the boat length, hp, speed etc... of the one they own and/or will/would be using/captaining.

joe
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

when we broke 150 MPH, i got to see another skill set, which is completely different from running slower in rolling swells. oh, and then there's the whole, 'don't turn a cat too sharp thing.' JT answered that question perfectly.

i was actually cut off by my friend on the run back from Top Water that weekend... he drifted toward me in excess of 100 MPH, while making the turn at April Fool's Point, pushing me toward another boat that was iding w/ the hatch up and the shore...

Gee why is my insurance so expensive? You post statements like this and wonder why your insurance is so expensive.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pro1
when we broke 150 MPH, i got to see another skill set, which is completely different from running slower in rolling swells. oh, and then there's the whole, 'don't turn a cat too sharp thing.' JT answered that question perfectly.

i was actually cut off by my friend on the run back from Top Water that weekend... he drifted toward me in excess of 100 MPH, while making the turn at April Fool's Point, pushing me toward another boat that was iding w/ the hatch up and the shore...

Gee why is my insurance so expensive? You post statements like this and wonder why your insurance is so expensive.
...because I'm smart enough to know 1) who and how the person/people in front of me drive and what to expect/consider may happen and 2) what to do to make sure everyone is safe --- even in a situation where someone in front of me breaks unexpectedy.

yep.... brilllllliant response. don't be a hater!!!!! it doesn't suit you.

ps: for the record.... i backed off, letting him go in front until we were in clear water and i could pass safely. you missed the point.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pro1
PS: let me clarify.... we did not 'break' at 150 MPH, we 'broke' 150 MPH (in speed).... meaning, in excess of 150 MPH.

thanks, joe

Last edited by Joe; 10-07-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

here's a comment that responded to a post on 'the other' site. thought it appropriate to copy here:

in my simplistic mind.... if it's true that the insurance folks are dictating a price in a market they already control, how about adding strong parameters (several previously mentioned), being a bit more strategic and forward thinking - fishing in front of the net, per-se (which is clearly what Tres and Brad are promoting/doing), vs. what seems to be the 'norm' of making a 'fix' after something serious has already occurred.

how about PRA and FLPwrbt envoking the 'blow' test during the morning capitan's meeting (mocking the offshore racers). increase the fee a couple bucks and get it done --- if you're REALLY promoting the whole 'beer on the pier,' idea, what about getting 'sauced' on the fri. nights prior and not being 100% the next morning (which very well could be only a few ours prior to the last 'beverage).

Needless to say, i've been guilty of it quite a few times in the past, until i finally realized it was just as dangerous in a boat runnning 100 MPH as it is in one capable of 150 MPH +. i learned there's always plenty of time to hit the bar either on thur. nights prior, or sat. afterwards. anyway, that's been my new motto for the last two years!

Just a suggestion -- not meaning to sound like (or be) a hater!

joe
Old 10-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It costs me under $700/year for my boat and trailer. Value of boat and trailer of 27,500. And my boat is not fast.
How much is your boat insured for?
What is the top speed achievable in your boat?
Insurance in a cat is always a topic, and I would love to own a skater...my favorite boat by far, but insurance and my lifestyle of having wife, kids, Mississippi river boating only....
What do you think is a fair comparison between my boat and yours for insurance quotes? This is apples and oranges I would say, but still the cost of insurance for yours would likely be much greater than mine because they are so different in all aspects.
Yours being much more valuable than mine, and capable of much greater speeds than mine.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe you have a PM.

You have a PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

What's a PM?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

Default Driving tests

How do you all feel about driving tests? You have to have a special license to drive a motorcycle and certain CDL's for trucks. Should the industry force us to have "special" boat licenses or training annually? Wouldn't it take the fun out of it or for you "serious" boaters, maybe this is what you need to feel safer.

As for the "hater" in the group (and you know who you are), i didn't spend the money i did on my boat, to intentionally go out and do something stupid. I don't think even after a night of drinking that I wake up and say, "today, i'm going to be reckless and throw away my assets and my life."

I don't know about you guys, but try maneuvering around 50 sail boats in the bay. Not pretty.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by East Coast Gal
What's a PM?
Private Message- go to the top right of the screen and you will see your name and the PM's under it.