Notices

Project boat insurance

Old 10-24-2022, 01:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Project boat insurance

So I know this is out of the norm but bare with me....may be buying a project boat very right however one thing I'm concerned with is insurance. I plan to pull a loan for the boat and some to start the redo but a lot of insurance companies want a survey before insurance...which leads me to the problem of the boat not having stringers and a transom currently hahaha. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what I can do for insurance until I get her up and running. I wouldn't care about insurance except my credit union will require it to release the loan.....any thoughts??
Old 10-26-2022, 05:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bump...any ideas?
Old 10-26-2022, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 803 Likes on 453 Posts

That's a one on one discussion you have to have with your current insurance company and your credit/loans manager.... just be prepared as the bank may stay clear of the boat and want a more solid piece of collateral than a project
Old 10-26-2022, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Totally understand what you're saying...I think hopefully I will be fine there...a reputable marina in the area disassembled the boat after trade in and removed all rotten wood from stringers/transom and have it ready for rebuild but they just want to cut their losses and move on. rest of the boat and all 3 drive trains are solid and ready to roll.

Boat is a 42 fountain lightning for what it's worth.
The following users liked this post:
SB (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

You will want/need an agreed value policy for comprehensive coverage, to cover fire, theft, and nature (like a tree falling on it). You should be able to come up with that without too much of an issue.
Keep ALL of your receipt for EVERYTHING.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks for the info! I always keep receipts however it usually makes me sick when I ever go back and look at them hahahaha
Old 11-17-2022, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You will want/need an agreed value policy for comprehensive coverage, to cover fire, theft, and nature (like a tree falling on it). You should be able to come up with that without too much of an issue.
Keep ALL of your receipt for EVERYTHING.
Agreed with above. There are a couple out there that will offer a policy. The finance side is where it gets tricky. Depending on where the boat is being over hauled, there is a possibility to cover it through business or home insurance and of course how much coverage you're wanting. Heck, Lloyds of London will insure anything lol
Message me if you still need help on this. THX!
Old 11-22-2022, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Along the same lines of this thought process what if you convert a boat from I/O to outboard how due you insure it?

Also one thought on the loan could be a line of credit against your house
Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer
Along the same lines of this thought process what if you convert a boat from I/O to outboard how due you insure it?

Also one thought on the loan could be a line of credit against your house
Honestly, most carriers would decline from the get go due to the nature of that overhaul however, if it can be made seaworthy and pass a survey/inspection, someone will pick it up. Lloyds would lol