What happened??? >

What happened???

Notices

What happened???

Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timeless61
why can a system like what is used on outboards not be used for i/o's? seems like power steering belts do break at times? the outboard cats I have driven have been very hard to turn in comparison to Don's boat for instance or other power steering boats I have driven. so just wondering why that can not be use, just not strong enough?
It can be used, but not sure about high speeds, may not be strong enough, plus it is not exactly easy to steer either, it is easier than a Power hydraulic without power, but nowhere near as easy as a power unit working properly.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Like rchevelle said they can be used but the power assisted hydraulic steering is alot easier and smoother. The old Hynautic steering with the pressurized can was also a good system, many older performance boats still run them. The Hynautic helms are strong and durable and when coupled with new Latham, Imco, Zeiger etc. rams would make a great steering system. They just won't be as easy to turn at slower speeds and docking.

The suggestion of a dual belt system sounds like a good solution.

Or how about a power steering pump that mounts directly to the end of the crank or pulley so you could do away with the belt. It could be counterbalanced so that once the shaft inside is spinning the body (or can/resevoir) that is full of fluid would remain stationary like it is floating. You could then plumb your steering lines like you would normally do. Something like hubodometers on highway trailers http://www.vr-hubodometer.com/hubo/7777Features.htm

Last edited by jdub; 09-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am familiar with the hynautic and it takes more effort but is not that awful bad I figured it doesn't take a lot more force than it does to turn a single very high outboard in a true cat. Also the hynautic system works fine for a 21 skater with a single 280 or 300 and there's enough force on things the boats are known for braking skegs on sportmasters and cle's don't last long at all. I got used to these steering systems so if someone got used to power steering I could see where they would not want to run a hynautic system. You can also add full power to these systems in a self contained unit through latham. Not sure how strong it is though
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jdub
The suggestion of a dual belt system sounds like a good solution. ]
John,
I dont agree with that dual belt idea as being a good solution. If one belt starts flapping around, it most likely will take the other belt with it. I would suggest a serpentine belt system would be more reliable than 'V' belts.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
John,
I dont agree with that dual belt idea as being a good solution. If one belt starts flapping around, it most likely will take the other belt with it. I would suggest a serpentine belt system would be more reliable than 'V' belts.
Everybody always says that about V belts. But I can't ever recall losing a belt and have it take out the other ones. Serpentine belts?...I don't know.... I'd rather know that if I lost my power steering belt my fuel pump would still work because it's on a seperate belt. But I guess I'm old school because I have a mechanical fuel pump instead of electric
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
Everybody always says that about V belts. But I can't ever recall losing a belt and have it take out the other ones.
Everybody is right. 2 of the 3 times I lost a power steering belt it took out the alternator belt as well. It seems to be linked to rpm. Once I started turning 6000+rpm, the v belts started to come apart or twisting and failing. The shaking in the wheel he described could have been a twisting slipping v belt that was about to let go. I'm seriously considering a serpentine belt setup as a winter project.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zt260
Everybody is right. 2 of the 3 times I lost a power steering belt it took out the alternator belt as well. It seems to be linked to rpm. Once I started turning 6000+rpm, the v belts started to come apart or twisting and failing. The shaking in the wheel he described could have been a twisting slipping v belt that was about to let go. I'm seriously considering a serpentine belt setup as a winter project.
On My drag car with a turbocharger I use V belts. I even run one off the alternater to the vacuum pump and occasionally it will throw that belt. Maybe 6 or 8 times a season, it has never once cleared another belt off the pulleys.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zt260
Obviously everybody is not right as 30ctsutphen and myself has demostrated. Of the 2 times you lost both your power steering belt and alt belt your were still able to run your boat out of harms way correct? If you lost that serpentine belt you wouldn't of had that option. Serpentine belts break also and when they do you have power to nothing. I like serpentine belts don't get me wrong, in say a car. But I like my odds on the water of losing 3 belts at once compared to losing one. I just don't think the serpentine belt is the best solution in this situation.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Registered

I have lost a power steering belt and it did not effect any other belts. I have to agree with John about this one. I could lose both the power steering and the alt belt and could still run long enough to get back to the dock. With a serpentine belt, if i lost that i would lose my water pump as well, and we all know what happens if you try to run for long periods of time without that.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered

First let’s stop comparing street engines to marine engines. Marine engines run at high rpm, full load for hours on end. Second, unless you have a marine engine that turns 6000+rpms as both mine and this boat do there is no comparison. Third I have never seen a serpentine belt blow that was in good shape, but I have had several brand new v belts blow on my boat. Once again it’s the rpms. Look at all of mercury’s HP engines, they all have serpentine belts.

You have to have this type of engine to compare. I do not need my raw water pump to keep going. I can lose every belt and get home without damage as long as my batteries don’t run too low. The steering would be hard, but functional and my transom water pick up supplies more water than I need even without a pump. Even without a blower belt I still make 600HP and that will push my hull plenty fast. Just like Don’s setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.