Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Kryptonite
What happened??? >

What happened???

Notices

What happened???

Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a single BBC sutphen RR on the lake in NJ where richie JR used to build boats. I forget the name of the lake.

Real nice boat it was ernie's (BOXER) old race biat and it was brought back to the factory for a total refurb new engine etc.

They are making the 277 in FLA also for 2011 only for custom builds though that I know of now.

Id love a ride in a krypto to see what its all about.

Anyone in CT got one?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Theres a single BBC sutphen RR on the lake in NJ where richie JR used to build boats. I forget the name of the lake.

Real nice boat it was ernie's (BOXER) old race biat and it was brought back to the factory for a total refurb new engine etc.

They are making the 277 in FLA also for 2011 only for custom builds though that I know of now.

Anyone in CT got one?
I'll be making the CT River Run Oct 19. Ill be more than happy to give ya a ride. Here's two videos that shows the stability of these hulls. Truly amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KGRLitjZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7n5FdwMGA
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen

Anyone in CT got one?
ernie bought that boat back and is going threw it and keeping it. Sr is working on a new single under 30 it looks like too Dons boat it sounds like they were running 70 to 80 and maybe correcting the wheel when a belt came off locking the boat in now a turn throwing everyone out. and theres been a racer killed in f2 boat that was running straight then hooked and killed one they were running 78 to 84 at the time. so it could of happened here. I ,agree with jon multi belt set up is better for most, I will be running it on my blown 1100hp motor once again this is very sad Don will be missed by all.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdub
Thanks for the story Chris. I always thought that the geometry of the rams on the ITS were questionable on a single. Especially a fast one.
mmmm, not so sure about this.

First off- Very sad what happened. Don was a gentleman, and I admired his thoroughness and willingness to see a project through- the world could use a lot more guys like Don. My condolences to his family and friends for this terrible awful tragedy.

If we conclude that the ITS has an issue with parallel geometry then we must also conclude the #6, NXT, and Ilmor Indy have the same geometry "issues" as well as all use parallel rams. I dont believe this is the case.

I own 2 different boats with ITS's and I don't think Don could have made a much better choice.
After a lifetime of boats with power steering, having belts fail, pumps break, and all kinds of issues with all kinds of stuff - if any setup loses power from a broken line or a thrown belt its tough to steer.
Especially because it catches you off guard on the first twist- its enough to cause a real problem if you need to turn NOW and cant.

As for the multi belt, serpentine setup I have both as well, and will try to avoid going back to the multi at whatever costs are needed to do so, but thats my preference. I like cleanliness of the stouter single belt and minimization of tension adjustment points. Also the ability to run whatever amp alternator I like is a big deal for me.

Ive lost several friends in my lifetime of boating, and have concluded that going fast in boats is a calculated risk with real danger, not enough to make me stop doing it, but enough to take constant precautions, & to warn friends riding with me that **** can happen - and does.

"Uncle" Dave Sampson

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-18-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
I'll be making the CT River Run Oct 19. Ill be more than happy to give ya a ride. Here's two videos that shows the stability of these hulls. Truly amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KGRLitjZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7n5FdwMGA
Not sure if youve been before but, I will be there. I will be leaving out of old saybrook. nice run up from there. PM me when it gets a little closer and if you want you can meet up with us.

Its a great run and lots of guys leave from OS at the same time and make a nice parade run up river.