Notices

Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Hi!

i trust you are well.

I am moving towards buying a new EVO 28 with Merc 600 SCI. What kind of lower unit do you reccommend? If I am correct the boat runs 90 mph on the lake. How much does it run in salt water and sea level.

The gas prices in Norways is now insane. You have to pay 12 USD for a gallon. Do you know how much gallon per hour a Merc 600 Sci consumes at 3000, 3500 and 4.000 rpms?

Thanks!

Cheeers, Toffen G
Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome boat. 90 sounds about right a few faster in salt at sea level.

Id really Call Jeff Camire- hell steer you right on what works on that boat Hes an awesome guy and will spend time with you, they've also tested that setup with a ridiculous amount of variables (x dim, setback, drive length almost all the manufacture drives) so they will steer you right.

Last time I was with Jeff he thought pretty highly of the teague platinum XR with an ITS, although he mentioned Imco as well.

The Merc 600 get great mileage like 1.5 and 1.6 MPG at around 3K

Once you do business with Laveycraft and experience the people and product you will be a lifelong customer.

Uncle Dave

1991 20.8 Laveycraft Sebring Tunnel
406 small block
Bravo 1 XR
Mercury ITS
polished Imco powerflows
Hot Boat Magazine calendar sept 1993
Tested Powerboat Magazine June 1993 by Bob Nordskog
<about ready to buy a new 2750>
Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or if you can, get the EU662 with the NXT drive.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

EU-663 or "euro-ized" Merc 700 is very nice, - as is the NXT drive-

IMO- I dont think with the gas prices where hes at another 62 HP and non standard drive is worth the outlay. The standard XR seems to hold up fine with the 600.

If you go that way select the delivered pro very carefully, and make sure you have a boat load of cash on hand because that drive only uses CNC milled type props that "start" at like 2K each

Uncle Dave
406 small block
Bravo 1 XR
Mercury ITS
polished Imco powerflows
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up EVO 28 lowers

HI!

Thanks!

I think I will go with a Merc 600 Sci with ITS and Sportmaster Shorty. Then the boat will run 92 mph plus and cruise nicely at 3.000 rpms. I am still curious aboit the mpg. A Howard 28 Bullet runs 2.6 mpg.

Cheeeers, Toffen G

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
EU-663 or "euro-ized" Merc 700 is very nice, - as is the NXT drive-

IMO- I dont think with the gas prices where hes at another 62 HP and non standard drive is worth the outlay. The standard XR seems to hold up fine with the 600.

If you go that way select the delivered pro very carefully, and make sure you have a boat load of cash on hand because that drive only uses CNC milled type props that "start" at like 2K each

Uncle Dave
406 small block
Bravo 1 XR
Mercury ITS
polished Imco powerflows
Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toffen
HI!

Thanks!

I think I will go with a Merc 600 Sci with ITS and Sportmaster Shorty. Then the boat will run 92 mph plus and cruise nicely at 3.000 rpms. I am still curious aboit the mpg. A Howard 28 Bullet runs 2.6 mpg.

Cheeeers, Toffen G
This sounds like a great setup.

Please keep us posted on the build process.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Toffen
HI!

Thanks!

Cheeeers, Toffen G

Youll be very happy!

Ill be at Lavey Saturday morning working with Jeff on a new 2750
(Im bouncing off the walls stoked)

I got the mileage info from a brochure comparing the ilmor 600 with the merc 600 you can find it pretty easily.

The Howard 28- is a very nice fast boat, its also been tested with a huge number of engines and they can lay claim to fastest single engine boat- with a turbo charged big block laying out 1000+ beans. Take the same boat and put in a 470Horse big block and you probably could get a high 70 mph low 80 2+ MPG boat- just go to their site and you can download a huge number of tests with a range of engines on it. - I find such access to historical test data impressive.

However it has a relatively flat V (part of the speed equation)- its a lake/river boat that can go into offshore water if Everythings nice.

I like Howards- always have I REALLY like their sport deckboat, and ALMOST swayed from Lavey to go there.

( Not sure how I would have told the Camires, but I switched from Lake to Ocean mode hence the 2750)

Uncle Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered

Definitely post build pictures! Can't wait to see it. I love this boat, just wish it had at least a rudimentary cabin to escape from rain or bad weather in a pinch.

Uncle Dave, the Howard Bullet you are speaking of actually has a 5.0l Whipple TPI engine in it and it hit 130mph.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered

Default Tpi/ Tpe?

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend

Uncle Dave, the Howard Bullet you are speaking of actually has a 5.0l Whipple TPI engine in it and it hit 130mph.
Thanks for the clarification freshwater, I never saw that particular motor you are referring to, but the "riding the bullett" PDF on their site shows a taylor 565 1100 HP Big Block. Howard likes his engines and tests them a lot in performance trials like the deckboat test used a tpi 700.

The guy is way cool and in his full time gig he's a fireman. I spoke with Taylor about 6 months ago as the word on the street is that he builds a really nice engine show quality and he uses the best parts. (I thinks its actually TPE as in Taylor Performance Engineering but I could be wrong).

And Yeah show us pictures!

Uncle Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Registered

Freshwater -

I just fiddled around on a few sites and there was a turbo howard 28 tested at like 127 but that doesnt hold the record anymore its the run you described. awesome- waaay dangerous, but that crew probably needed plastic surgery to remove the grins.

It is TPI.

Uncle Dave

Quick Reply: Laveycraft EVO 28 - choice of lower unit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.