Day Dreaming >

Day Dreaming

Notices

Day Dreaming

Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Day Dreaming

I was just curious if there has ever been a 2750 built with a single small block in it? I know it would be a bit crazy to spend 100+ on a boat and then stick a small block in it, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it. What I was really wondering is how the balance would be affected with an LS motor in back instead of the BBC. From what I have read, the stepped hulls, dont like a lot of positive trim to get the nose up and tend to ride more level, so if you drop 200-400 lbs out of the back, how is that going to effect the ride and handling? I figure other than someone putting an LS in one, the next closest thing would be a small block in one. Lavey Jr, do you know if anyone has even contemplated the possibility of putting something like an Ilmor 570 in a Nuera?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I would serious look into the Volvo Penta apps if that's what you want. One is their outdrive is pretty darn good and their transom assembly's is better than Merc bravo. Also the power to weight ratio is way better than any black Mercruiser.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
I was just curious if there has ever been a 2750 built with a single small block in it? I know it would be a bit crazy to spend 100+ on a boat and then stick a small block in it, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it. What I was really wondering is how the balance would be affected with an LS motor in back instead of the BBC. From what I have read, the stepped hulls, dont like a lot of positive trim to get the nose up and tend to ride more level, so if you drop 200-400 lbs out of the back, how is that going to effect the ride and handling? I figure other than someone putting an LS in one, the next closest thing would be a small block in one. Lavey Jr, do you know if anyone has even contemplated the possibility of putting something like an Ilmor 570 in a Nuera?
First question, no there has not been a 2750 built with a small block. As far as balance goes. It will depend if you're talking about a full aluminum engine, iron block, aluminum heads, or any variation listed... On a closed bow 2750 I would not be worried about the balance, open bow slight chance but I don't feel it would greatly effect the ride. As far as the Ilmor 570. That engine weighs damn near the same as the Imor 625/710 due to the 570 being a cast iron block with aluminum heads vs the 625/710 being aluminum block/heads. With the Ilmor 710 in Uncle Daves 2750 NuEra it has run 90MPH and that boat is LOADED with options/accessories i.e. tons of radar, huge stereo, air conditioning, and much more. In a lighter more sleek version, 28 EVO, the Ilmor 710 pushed it 106MPH.
So unless you go for a full aluminum small block I would not be concerned about the weight.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lavey jr, I was logging on to ask about the weight of Daves V10. I thought about that after posting my question yesterday. If I was ever to this I would go LSX cast iron maybe even a tall deck and build a 440+ ci motor. I was not aware the Ilmor 570 was a cast block. Are they using the LSX block? Have not really checked into theirs much but have been an LS fan since 1999 or so. Hated them when they were first announced, but quickly converted. Have even contemplated building one for my Checkmate, but have decided I just want a bigger better boat first.