Default Re: 27 starfire

another for ya sport with home made hatch
Attached Thumbnails 27 starfire-magnum-097.jpg   27 starfire-magnum-084.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Smarty,

I know Roger's Jolly Roger, had the SternPower Speedmasters with Big Block Chevys But I though that Bub's Rated X has Merc Speedmasters on it with Big blocks ,,I think it started out as Merc Tempest package and Bub switched it over to keep up with Roger, the other Sport that was fast was Boss Lady , The white Sport owned by Don Stall, for owned the Harley Dealership in Point. they were the 3 badest Sports around at the time.
At one time in the mid 70s there was about 6-7 nice Sports on the Bay.
I could never keep up with Roger,Bub , Don or Even Gary's Sports.
But it was fun to run around the Bay with them.
I got all of the hot trick Volvo stuff off of Roger's Boat when he converted to the SternPower Speedmasters. I also got a pair of special Volvo Speedos from Don Stall that were made from the guys from Mich. Wally Harper and the other Magnum guys that came out of Mich. had made a few pair of the Speedo lowers for Volvos with the help of the engineers at GM. They were smaller then the regular Speedos from Volvo.
They had some bad Sports out of Mich. in those days.

Its great to think back about all those days on the Bay. Was Fun days.
Who brought your Dad's Sport?

Thank you
Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 08-31-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Hello Smarty,

I know Roger's Jolly Roger, had the SternPower Speedmasters with Big Block Chevys But I though that Bub's Rated X has Merc Speedmasters on it with Big blocks ,,I think it started out as Merc Tempest package and Bub switched it over to keep up with Roger, the other Sport that was fast was Boss Lady , The white Sport owned by Don Stall, for owned the Harley Dealership in Point. they were the 3 badest Sports around at the time.
At one time in the mid 70s there was about 6-7 nice Sports on the Bay.
I could never keep up with Roger,Bub , Don or Even Gary's Sports.
But it was fun to run around the Bay with them.
I got all of the hot trick Volvo stuff off of Roger's Boat when he converted to the SternPower Speedmasters. I also got a pair of special Volvo Speedos from Don Stall that were made from the guys from Mich. Wally Harper and the other Magnum guys that came out of Mich. had made a few pair of the Speedo lowers for Volvos with the help of the engineers at GM. They were smaller then the regular Speedos from Volvo.
They had some bad Sports out of Mich. in those days.

Its great to think back about all those days on the Bay. Was Fun days.
Who brought your Dad's Sport?

Thank you
Jim
The fella (Rick) that bought my father's Magnum knew the boat when he was growing up in that area (Brick). He liked it then so when he saw it for sale he wanted it. I am glad he bought it, and it is back in area where it started.

The one boat from Michigan, "Lil Smidgen" (I think I spelled the name correctly) was always one of my favorites boats, that boat always kicked ass in it class. (I also like the 29' Mirage "Wolverine", and the 35' Cigarette "Wild Turkey" from back in the day).

Was Rated-X, faster than the Jolly Roger back then?

My father had wanted a Volvo Speedmaster for his Cigarette (he bought the first 20' that Aronow made), because of suspected blow-out; he had the 20' Cigarette, and a 24' Pantera before buying the Hairy Canary. Sounds like your Magnum was a pretty strong runner - how did you like the Volvo Speedmaster lowers?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

"Two Volvo drive boats are enough in one lifetime" - Lucky Strike

His Cig had speedmaster lowers and hot rod motors. The Magnum Sport had stock 270 Volvo's with 350 Crusader Scorpions. He constantly got beat by the 280/TRS boats.....by a big margin. After that, he never looked back and it was MerCruiser all the way.
Attached Thumbnails 27 starfire-lucky-strike.jpg   27 starfire-magnum2.jpg   27 starfire-74-28ss.jpg  

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 08-31-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr
"Two Volvo drive boats are enough in one lifetime" - Lucky Strike

His Cig had speedmaster lowers and hot rod motors. The Magnum Sport had stock 270 Volvo's with 350 Crusader Scorpions. He constantly got beat by the 280/TRS boats.....by a big margin. After that, he never looked back and it was MerCruiser all the way.

i think that cigarette 28 is in mich i almost positive its the same one ,lucky any idea where the boat is know
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No, the Volvos were no match for the TRS Mercs back then. As Lucky Strike Jr said, The TRS were a lot faster.
I was just starting out in sport boats and didn't know any better, and put money into Roger's old Volvo set up. I should have converted to Mercs back then. I also started off with the 350 Crusader Scorpion package and then went from there. I was no where near the speeds that Roger and the others were running, but my motors were stock 350 from Crusader.
I think that Roger's Jolly Roger was a little faster then Bub's Rated X,, not by much,, they were pretty close, all three of them I think were running in the low 80s back then.
Lil Smidgen was the class of the Sports back then, But they had a lot of help from the folks at GM as they all had some type of dealings with GM thru their businesses and got to work with a lot of the Engineers there.
they all helped each other.
Some did the design work on parts(Drives, shafts, etc) some the patterns, the molds, some the castings and tool and die machineing. they make 6 or so parts and they be the only ones with them.
It's nice to think back about the Jersey Shore in those days. it was a fun time.

Have a great Weekend and hope Ernesto doesn't mess up your weekend too much

Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 09-01-2006 at 10:53 AM.