Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
1988 Magnum Marine (Starfire) for sale >

1988 Magnum Marine (Starfire) for sale

Notices

1988 Magnum Marine (Starfire) for sale

Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take the U17-better deck, layout- doesn't look like a Glen-L knockoff,, movie muscle. The boat pictures were taken at a friends place in Markham Ontario, about 7 years ago. The boat was essentially in sections untrimmed. The quality of the glass work is top notch as I have experience with glass. Its all glass with exception of the forward deck which is balsa cored,... my biggest hurdle was designing it for an open bow (small). Life gets busy and I hope to have it finished within a year. I see things have not changed here, unless you comply to the majority you are an out cast----I will go back into the closet with my fake boat.. good luck

Last edited by jamesslade; 03-20-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I know it's been a long winter, we all are feeling the not boating blues, but your just so easy. The U-17 & U-19 were only built for a few years, why do you think ??? It must have been there great sales & quality, NOT!!! These Glen L Donzi's like my classic 18' have been around since 1965, like that 60's song, THEIRS NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING. I would straight edge the bottom of your Canada kinda built Magnum before you install your high tech stringers. Leaving it on that wood fixture without stringers placed in the hull that bottom must be deformed. Heck any real boat builder would never let a hull siting like that even with stringers unsupported.
Attached Thumbnails 1988 Magnum Marine (Starfire) for sale-canada-hull-1.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Registered

The boat is sitting in a mold cradle designed to support the stringer installation, I ve checked and the bottom is dime straight. The problem with the U17 was in the install of a duo prop setup which made the boat unstable.mine was single and a blast to drive.
I use to deal with customers that that spent more time with their rusted piles of garbage while their wives and children were screwed over. I'm not one of them, after 29 years of marriage and 3 good kids I refuse to argue "who has the best boat" I appreciate the work that goes into every boat but lets be real- they all eventually will be scrap--enjoyment of boating with family and friends is the only purpose of it.
I love discussing ways of improving but I tire of rhetoric.
hoping for early season!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jamesslade
The boat is sitting in a mold cradle designed to support the stringer installation, I ve checked and the bottom is dime straight. The problem with the U17 was in the install of a duo prop setup which made the boat unstable.mine was single and a blast to drive.
I use to deal with customers that that spent more time with their rusted piles of garbage while their wives and children were screwed over. I'm not one of them, after 29 years of marriage and 3 good kids I refuse to argue "who has the best boat" I appreciate the work that goes into every boat but lets be real- they all eventually will be scrap--enjoyment of boating with family and friends is the only purpose of it.
I love discussing ways of improving but I tire of rhetoric.
hoping for early season!
[I ve checked and the bottom is dime straight.]

[I refuse to argue "who has the best boat"] You could have fooled me!

[enjoyment of boating with family and friends is the only purpose] Tell me how much boating have you done in your Superior knock off ???
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Found this on the face book Magnum site about these Magnum imposters.

This is what was said when Magnum [ Theodoli ] saw them at the Miami Boat show. [ All I know about those things was that they showed up at the Miami Boat Show and Theodoli went down and made him get out of the show. I'm not sure what they built, but using the exact name and logo was pretty bold, and I doubt that Fillippo or Katrin would have allowed that in any deal that they made
Attached Thumbnails 1988 Magnum Marine (Starfire) for sale-mag-canada-289.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered

The one thing I can attest to, is the layup was first rate- I would love to see the contract on this one--all i know is the recession of 89 took them out, it was a bad time in Canada too. went through the site, cant find the link. The best i can find is that magnum was no longer interested in building a 28 ft so they sold the molds with the rights but I am sure there was a clause that the Canadian company had to remain its own entity. I would pay to see that contract-. I cant believe that the guy who ran this and registered the company would try to fraud someone. lots of speculation

Last edited by jamesslade; 03-29-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: additional